Parlee Z-Zero :: ISP, Di2, and *Really* Red - now 6.31 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pantani

by Pantani

Given concerns about weight, perhaps you didn't need to overkill the gluing.

One prep coat on the tyre and rim and a final coat on the rim would have been more than sufficient.

(Ref the gross objection to the difference in advertised and actual saddle weight)
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Johnny Rad wrote:Kandy red ketchup and mustard gummies just isn't a great look...

I'm in this camp, at least until we see the final build...
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Pantani wrote:Given concerns about weight, perhaps you didn't need to overkill the gluing.

One prep coat on the tyre and rim and a final coat on the rim would have been more than sufficient.

(Ref the gross objection to the difference in advertised and actual saddle weight)

It's a fair point. That having been said, my three coat / two coat method has served me well, and I don't like to take any chances with the wheel / tire bonding.

I do take issue, however, with the suggestion of a "gross objection" to the difference in advertised vs. actual saddle weight. It's not an objection; it's an observation that they really shouldn't lead with weight as their value proposition.

11 grams is hardly going to make a difference at the end of the day.
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

I want to give a LOUD shout-out to my LBS (Hi, Chris! Hi, Tim!), who have been absolutely phenomenal - CycleSports in Oakland, CA.

When Parlee failed not only to send a bottom bracket with the frame but also sent a Ritchey setback seatmast topper when we designed the frame for a Tune non-setback topper, CSO went above and beyond to make it right. Parlee said they'd overnight a Tune Topper "when it came in", which would be "about a week".

Chris @ CSO called up ROTOR to get the right bottom bracket for the crank I'm going to run (any guesses?), then turned around and called Fairwheel 'cause those guys had the Tune Topper in stock. Thanks go to Fairwheel as well for setting up CSO with a wholesale account immediately and overnighting the Tune seatmast topper to keep my build moving forward.

It's rare to find people, in any industry, who go so far beyond the call of duty to make sure that a customer (at this point, perhaps a friend) is happy. If you're in the San Francisco Bay Area, drop in on these guys. They truly care, and it ain't just 'cause it's a Z-Zero. I've been with them for a long time, and got the same treatment when I bought my CAAD9.

These guys are a shining example of why the LBS can and will withstand the price onslaught of online retailing. You just can't replicate people and service like CSO.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Bottom Bracket : 116g

Got the bottom bracket for the frame pressed-in yesterday. It's a ROTOR 4630 Ceramic. Given the length of the spindle on the crank I'll run, I'll also need to run the conical ROTOR spacers. The bottom bracket itself weighed-in at 102g with all possible spacers. The conical spacers were 14g.

Seatmast Topper : 75g

This is the Tune red-anodized Seatmast Topper that Chris @ CSO ordered for me in advance of Parlee painting one for me in Kandy Red. I imagine the painted one will slightly heavier.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

Wingnut

by Wingnut

So looking forward to this...

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Excellent! I have heard many good things about CSO. That is great service

kikkie

by kikkie

I adore the color, very nice. Did i miss what groupset you are going to use?:)

kfreytag

by kfreytag

@kikkie - I'm going DA 9000 except for the crank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

The Crank - 688g

Here's one of the reasons this thing won't be a complete weenie. I'm running a ROTOR 3D+ Compact SRM with Praxis Works rings.

I pulled this off my Z3. I absolutely love both the crank and the rings. The SRM, well, it keeps me humble.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kikkie

by kikkie

Nice, are you planning on doing anything regarding the decals on the rotor?

kfreytag

by kfreytag

kikkie wrote:Nice, are you planning on doing anything regarding the decals on the rotor?

It's a good question. Given the fact that the rest of the bike has an intentionally low "logo density", I'm considering it.

One nice thing about the logo detail on the crank arms, though, is that they tend to obscure the errant heel rub. It is, however, a bit busy. I'm leaning towards pulling them apart and taking it off. Unfortunately that'll likely mean sending them back to get them re-calibrated. I could do it all while they're assembled, but I'd rather "do it right".

On the SRM sticker, thoughts? I could simply pull it and leave a black disc if I decide the refinish the crank arms. Then it would a quite stealthy crank.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kikkie

by kikkie

Well as you're sending the crank in for calib anyway, i would go for the black sticker they offer. If it were my bike i would paint the rotor's black. Don't think the rotor decals are classy enough for your bike.

Btw, love the gum walls!

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I like the Rotor 3D+ how it is - I'd leave it alone. You risk making it looks worse. Re-anodising won't look pretty, and painting it would look awful.

It's a solid, good-looking bit of kit - just run it as it is.

saibot

by saibot

I'm a classic lurker and while there are some awesome builds on here I don't ever feel compelled to comment on any of the bikes here.
But holy mother of god… that frame look absolutely stunning! I'll take that paint/finish over 200grams any day! Almost compelled to get my frame of to the painters ;-)

Keep checking this thread hoping for new pictures.
Really looking forward to see the complete build.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com