Parlee Z-Zero :: ISP, Di2, and *Really* Red - now 6.31 kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SilentG

by SilentG

frommy understanding, praxis works is the supplier of chainrings for thm complete cranks, so you wouldn't have to ditch the shifting.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

SilentG wrote:frommy understanding, praxis works is the supplier of chainrings for thm complete cranks, so you wouldn't have to ditch the shifting.

Well, you learn something new every day. Reviews of the THM M3 have been generally positive, yes?
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SilentG

by SilentG

kfreytag wrote:
SilentG wrote:frommy understanding, praxis works is the supplier of chainrings for thm complete cranks, so you wouldn't have to ditch the shifting.

Well, you learn something new every day. Reviews of the THM M3 have been generally positive, yes?

From what I have read, yes. Good enough that I'm looking at picking up one myself.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Correction regarding the potential weight savings on the THM M3 SRM versus the ROTOR 3D+ SRM:

Reading the fine print more finely, the THM is 665g with chainrings and "bottom bracket spindle" but not with the bottom bracket.

From the SRM site: http://www.srm.de/products/srm-powermeter/clavicula-m3/

My ROTOR 3D+ SRM comes in at a measured 688g with Praxis 50/34 rings. A best case scenario of -23g doesn't seem worth the price of admission.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

NiFTY

by NiFTY

My EE brakes with pads weigh 202 grams. And are excellent. I would buy a pair for my other bike if i had the cash spare.

Re: light power meter - if it has to be an SRM - there are no light options. If you want a light powermeter. A set of hollowgram SISL2, with spidering and stages SI arm will save you about 150g. (Roughly 530g in compact)

My older SISL crank w SI stages arm and rotor q rings (very heavy) weighs 616g - and thats for a standard set up.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

So, let me get this. People are raving about a >1kg steel frame with some hideous seat lug contraption I have never seen the likes of before. Lightweight components are surely out of place on a steel frame like this? I mean, no one has a steel frame if they want a very lightweight bike?

One of the most poorly conceived bike builds I have seen.

LionelB

by LionelB

Valbrona wrote:So, let me get this. People are raving about a >1kg steel frame with some hideous seat lug contraption I have never seen the likes of before. Lightweight components are surely out of place on a steel frame like this? I mean, no one has a steel frame if they want a very lightweight bike?

:roll: study Parlee a bit before posting.

vdrey

by vdrey

Some people...

CGT

by CGT

Valbrona wrote:So, let me get this. People are raving about a >1kg steel frame with some hideous seat lug contraption I have never seen the likes of before. Lightweight components are surely out of place on a steel frame like this? I mean, no one has a steel frame if they want a very lightweight bike?

Definitely the most poorly conceived post I have ever seen. :thumbup:

kfreytag

by kfreytag

NiFTY wrote:My EE brakes with pads weigh 202 grams. And are excellent. I would buy a pair for my other bike if i had the cash spare.

Seems the new ones are a claimed to be 168g per pair w/ pad holders, according to Fairwheel, but they also say that's no change from the previous version, which weighed heavier for me, too.

NiFTY wrote:Re: light power meter - if it has to be an SRM - there are no light options. If you want a light powermeter. A set of hollowgram SISL2, with spidering and stages SI arm will save you about 150g. (Roughly 530g in compact)

My older SISL crank w SI stages arm and rotor q rings (very heavy) weighs 616g - and thats for a standard set up.

Yeah, it's gotta be an SRM. :roll: It's perhaps the German in me, but I've got two of them already, and they just simply work. As with the color of the frame, I'll take the weight penalty.

Valbrona wrote:So, let me get this. People are raving about a >1kg steel frame with some hideous seat lug contraption I have never seen the likes of before

Steel is real!

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

kfreytag

by kfreytag

greentimgreen wrote:@kfreytag

Stunning bike, and an inspiration for me and my current Z-zero build! I've wimped out on the colour and gone for a waxed finish, but I'm looking to keep some of the same clean lines that you have achieved. In particular, what did you do to the control unit for the Di2? It's the one thing that annoys me about that gruppo, it always looks so messy under the stem!

I just realized that I never answered this question! Sorry about that.

Initially, I had a BarFly 2 to hold the Garmin, and I zip-tied the junction box to the bottom of that. It made it basically invisible when the Garmin was mounted (which is always when riding).

This last weekend, however, I swapped in Tilliquist's ENVE mount and zip-tied the junction box to the "rails" on that w/ really narrow black zip-ties. It's a bit of a tighter fit (you need really small zip ties), but it works, and it looks and feels much better with the Garmin dropped just a bit and no "ring around the barsies".

I took pictures, but I can't seem to find them at the moment. I'll post when I do. I think I dropped a grand total of 2g. :thumbup:

P.S. Have you finished your Z-Zero? Is there a thread on here? I wanna see it!

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

AndreLM

by AndreLM

kfreytag wrote:
NiFTY wrote:My EE brakes with pads weigh 202 grams. And are excellent. I would buy a pair for my other bike if i had the cash spare.

Seems the new ones are a claimed to be 168g per pair w/ pad holders, according to Fairwheel, but they also say that's no change from the previous version, which weighed heavier for me, too.

Recent (April '14), but still previous version. 173.6g with pad holders (but no pads).

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Hmm... I guess you're right. I went back to my old 1st gen blue anodized ee's:

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

Very lovely frame colour.

Out of curiousity. WHat's the RAL colour code for this candy red?

kind regards :oops:

kfreytag

by kfreytag

vejnemojnen wrote:Very lovely frame colour.

Out of curiousity. WHat's the RAL colour code for this candy red?

Thanks for the compliment!

I honestly don't know the color code (or if there is one, per se).

Parlee call is Kandy Red (sic). I'm told they do the color by applying red over silver over red over silver over red... ad infinitum.

I'd drop a line to Parlee and ask them. Here's another shot:

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com