Lynskey Pro29 L - Build/Mod Progress (Fort Worth, TX)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

justaute

by justaute

Howdy,

Have been reading here for a while and want to write a quick "hello". I'm just getting back into MTB-riding after an 18-year hiatus -- too many hobbies (e.g. volleyball, basketball, audio, and more) and working too much.

I'm in the process of modifying my recently acquired Lynskey Pro29; trying to lighten it to run a few CX races in the coming season. Will post a few pics soon. Need to get into a much better riding shape. Although I have a relatively muscular built (6'1" & 205lb & 34" waist), I want to lose at least 10 lbs. So, both my Lynskey and I will traverse the weight-loss path together.

Look forward to acquiring more knowledge from y'all.
Last edited by justaute on Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Howdy from the RGV!

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Nothing wrong with your taste for Titanium.

That's a great bike to get back with. I'm contemplating a Merlin Tiaga myself----it's old school but then so am I----Dammit!!!!----lol :oops: :mrgreen:

justaute

by justaute

Thanks for the welcome.

Here is the first pic of the Lynskey. She has already undergone a few minor weight-weenies procedures since this picture was taken, including Whisky rigid fork, Time pedals, seat clamp, etc. Upcoming projects include a Syntace Flatforce stem, a "comfortable" saddle, and a 1x10 transformation.

The saddle seems to be the hardest part. I have wide sit-bones and big hammy, and have been playing with seating/saddle positions a lot -- and the "boys" still get numb. The leading contenders are ISM Adamo (nothing light about this), Selle SMP, and a custom-make.

Image[/URL]

justaute

by justaute

oh...went for that "clean" look with no etching and no decals.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Those twisted tubes are uber-cool but do they serve a function or is it a style thing?

Very clean and distinctive build.

ISM Adamo would be like installing a rocking chair in a Ferrari!!! But I must admit to the curiosity as to how comfortable they really are :noidea:

justaute

by justaute

Purportedly, those "twisties" make the frame stiffer. As a relatively heavy rider, compare to most on this site, that's a good thing. The frame feels stiff so far.

As far as saddle goes, I kinda agree with you, but I'm going to take my time before making a decision. I definitely prefer the clean, thin look. The priority, though, is to take care the perineum and the "boys".

DRAGON60 wrote:Those twisted tubes are uber-cool but do they serve a function or is it a style thing?

Very clean and distinctive build.

ISM Adamo would be like installing a rocking chair in a Ferrari!!! But I must admit to the curiosity as to how comfortable they really are :noidea:

Colin

by Colin

Hello my fellow Fort Worthian!
Nice ride! Any chance you weighed that white brothers fork? I've been curious as to what those are like in the weight department.

justaute

by justaute

I have yet to do it, but will tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Colin wrote:Hello my fellow Fort Worthian!
Nice ride! Any chance you weighed that white brothers fork? I've been curious as to what those are like in the weight department.

justaute

by justaute

Ok, here you go. The number is consistent with what I've seen out there (4.2-4.3 lbs). The fork is definitely a bit on the heavier side, but they are just so nice and WB has terrific customer service.

- White Brothers Loop 80/100/120 Fork: 1,870g (4.125 lbs)
- 15mm Thru-axle: 76g (.170 lbs)
Total: 1,946 g (4.295 lbs)

*notes: 29er fork, tapered steerer

Colin wrote:Hello my fellow Fort Worthian!

justaute

by justaute

A couple of updates.

- Installed a Whisky #9 carbon fork (a heavy 710g, but I wanted the 480mm)
- Replaced the stem with a Syntace Flatforce (77mm & 124g); need to adjust/trim the spacers
- Replaced the Crank Bros Mallet DH pedals with Time S-track (143g)
- Updated the seatpost clamp (7075 alloy weighs 13g)
- Also installed ESI Chunky grips
- and, of course, ripped-off the wheel decals :)

justaute

by justaute

Decided to do a 1x10 setup. Installed a 38t chainring from Wolf Tooth Components for the upcoming CX season. Did an 18-mile ride this morning and the no issues so far. After the CX season, I'll put in a 34t for XC/General mountain biking.

The removal of all equipment associated with the front derailleur, including the 26t small ring, saved approximately 370 grams.

grover

by grover

did you weigh the frame only?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Unfortunately, I did not. My local shop put together the initial setup. Whatever the weight is, it certainly is not a "weight-weenie" frame. I would speculate the weight of my large frame is around 2,000 grams.

grover wrote:did you weigh the frame only?