lighten my Colnago!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

mrd

by mrd

upgrading your wheels will save some weight but far more importantly give you the greatest performance benefit. Roval CLX 40 or 60 or Zipp 303 or 404 would work very well. ( I have both).

Also, lose the saddlebag and don't use two huge bottles for both aesthetic and weight reasons.

Unless your biomechanics are weird your slammed stem really should not need to have such a drop. Deda superlegero bar and stem would suit the frame, -6 or -8 degree max.

Forget electronic and spend your money on wheels and or upgrade to DA9000. You then have groupset and wheels to do justice to the frame.

Zipp seat post or Colnago carbon.

I am a big fan of Rotor cranks and Q rings, if you want brand new Rotor agilis and/or q rings I have some I'm thinking of selling,

Mrdsgs

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Thanks Mrdsgs for your reply.

Like the wheel suggestions, although am looking for clinchers and really wanna spend no more than £1000.

Saddle bag and bottles are a must...photo was taken after a 146km ride.

Just had a bike fit with velomotion.co.uk and they set me up with this stem. I have ridiculously long arms for my height! Feels much more comfortable than previous upright/shorter position.

good call on the da9000 will look into that.

Yes might be interested in the Rotor cranks and rings! what length are they?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrd

by mrd

Both suggested wheelsets are clinchers but not cheap!

I now understand your bike setup!

I ought to say that it sacrilege to put anything other than Campagnolo on a Colnago but .....

I have an Rotor Agilis 170 cranks 130bcd with 53/39 Q rings. All brand new and perfect. You can get details from Velotech who are the UK supplier or email me and I will send you a picture. I also have lightly used Q rings but I don't think they would fit your cranks.
Last edited by mrd on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Ah ok, yeah not sure I wanna be spending that sort of money on wheels.

haha I know what you mean! very tempted to swap to Campagnolo and would if it werent for all my other bikes/tools being shimano!

Thanks for info on cranks. Just realise I have a set of those! (on my tt bike)

Think they are discontinued now? Atm think Ill look at 3D ones but will keep your offer in mind.

Also any advice on Ceramic b/b? worth the upgrade?

PSM

by PSM

It won't be much lighter with Di2? Removing the bag would...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

If you're adding Ultegra Di2, you are going to be adding weight. You will have to get creative with other component choices to get it back down. I'm running the Ultegra Di2 shift parts, with Dura Ace brakes, crankset, and cassettes. Going with the internal battery setup also will save weight.

Think about getting some lighter wheels and even some KCNC Ti skewers. They are inexpensive, nice, and very light. Remember, it's the little things that add up to make a light (or heavy) bike. 25 grams here, 50 grams there.... pretty soon you're near a pound!

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Yep - would advise spending your money on a wheel upgrade!
We had a set of Mavic R-SYS SLR in the workshop a few months ago - took them out for a test ride and was surprisingly impressed
Will make a bigger difference to performance compared to changing groupsets etc
regards, ianSWBB

mrd

by mrd

No problem. I am a bit of a hoarder really. I have the second generation rotor agilis all black apart from a red centre bolt cover. They were for an aborted project. I have 3D and aero Q's on most of my bikes. Ceramic BB will be marginally smoother but alot more expensive. I have ceramic bearings in my Rovals because they come as standard, brilliant, but I would not pay £200 for the upgrade on my zipps! I have Rotor ceramic SABB BB on one bike but no real difference when riding.

PSM

by PSM

What I learned over the years is that KCNC or Tune QR's moves. Your derailleur will stop cooperate smooth with your cassette... You have to stop end retighten you rear Wheel.

I use the 85 grams FFWD QR's now. The never loosen up. That 40 grams is Worth considering. ;)

airwise

by airwise

WRT groupset, if switching to 11 speed it matters not whether it's Campag or Shimano. I'd personally stay away from Di2 in the UK. I'd rather plump for DA9000 which looks suitably expensive and works really well.

I'm running Campagnolo on my bikes but may well add DA to one as the wheelsets will be compatible.

If you want a decent set of no nonsense wheels that are light and comfortable, look to Campag Neutron Ultra or the Shimano DA C24. Both are commendably rigid yet forgiving enough for what Britain tries to pass off as roads.

I stopped using Q rings and went to a 170mm crank. If you think about it the one does a similar service to the other, and I no longer have poor front shifting or a chainset that looks like a 1980's Star Wars toy.

KOGAN

by KOGAN

Thanks guys for the advice!

Whats the problem with having a saddle bag!? got to carry tubes, multi tool, tyre levers etc some how!

Thanks though for the skewer suggestions, had a look and a few grams to be saved there at not too much expense.

Comparing mechanical Ultegra to Ui2 doesnt seem to be a massive weight difference, lot of mates swear by new Ui2. Will see what deals i can get on Dura Ace 9000 and decide from there.

Thanks for wheel advice, will definitely be upgrading there.

I know I wont save much in weight (if at all) but might go for a ceramic B/B just for smoothness.

Generally not had an probs with Rotor rings in the past so will go for some again.

Any views on the Rotor 3D cranks? Look pretty light weight

Also any ideas if I did swap bars for a good/lighter set of bars, preferably aluminum.

Thanks again, lots to decide on!

PSM

by PSM

Don't you have back pockets on your jerseys? ;)

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

KOGAN
Your are definitely going to have fun researching all the upgrade options :D
Lots of the posts have been great suggestions
1. decent skewers -an easy 25gms saved!
2. Neutron Ultra Wheels - this is one of the best upgrades for a standard bike - the move up from a bog standard £2-300 wheelset to a set of these will give our rides a new lease of life! and they don't break the bank! not even £500 per set!!
3. we have fitted quite a few sets of the Rotor cranks and if you are going with them, their ceramic BB is a logical choice
4. Bars - Deda Newton bars area good quality - about 240gms off the top of my head, so probably 60gms heavier than the Deda carbon version
5. DA9000 - definitely better than Ui2!! - we're doing DA on special at the moment, so if you want a quote, just send us a message
regards, ianSWBB

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Intersting topic, but can we please call Ui2 by the real name? It would be ultegra Di2 as Di2 suggests things are about electronics.
Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

de zwarten

by de zwarten

For the wheels, I wonder why nobody suggested Fulcrum racing 1 (steel bearings) or 0 (ceramic). They are light, stiff, super solid and not very expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com