Trek Emonda SL Frameset - 52cm - Weights

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Seneb

by Seneb

I'm a pretty frequent lurker here and today realized I've never registered. So, hello!

Yesterday, I took delivery of a 52cm Trek Emonda SL frameset with the H2 fit (only option). It's not the SLR superlight (superexpensive) one made of 700 series OCLV, but the reasonable one made of 500 series OCLV. Since I haven't seen any detailed information on it anywhere, I figured I should share.

If the links below don't work, search Mr. Google for Seneb Blogspot Trek Emonda, and you should be able to find three blog posts on the frameset. Also, I have a set of photos on Flickr and my user name there is also Seneb. Shocking, eh?

http://seneb.blogspot.com/2014/07/weighed-trek-emonda-sl-frameset.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/seneb/sets/72157645200803780

I used a Feedback Sports Alpine Digital Scale for all of the weights. However, remember that it rounds to the nearest ten.
The frameset complete with all the goodies in the box weighs 1790 grams. Frame, fork, seatmast, stem, headset, spacers and compression plug, chain guard, derailleur hanger, cage bolts, and the guides for the internal cable routing.
Frame bare, other than the derailleur hanger and guides is 1040 grams.
Fork bare (uncut) is 360 grams.
Seatmast is 130 grams (taken with a grain of salt).
Bontrager RXL 90mm -7 stem is 130 grams (taken with a grain of salt).
Leftover bits (headset, plug, spacers, bolts, guard, etc.) are 130 grams.

I will be building it up with the parts on my current frame - Chorus 11 components, Boyd 38 carbon clinchers, Thomson 100mm -10 stem, 3T Ergonova bars, Selle Italia SLK saddle, Speedplay X1 pedals, Blackburn Swerve ti cages, blah, blah, blah...

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

This is what weight weenies is about. Great info!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Bare frame.....1040 grams.......not WW........

istigatrice

by istigatrice

@Goodboyr, this isn't the SLR... 1040g is a pretty respectable weight IMO
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

darnellrm

by darnellrm

I'm less than impressed with 1040g for a 52cm.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Seneb wrote:It's not the SLR superlight (superexpensive) one made of 700 series OCLV, but the reasonable one made of 500 series OCLV

I don't see how 1040g isn't reasonable for that?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

michel2

by michel2

this indeed what weightweenies is all about, thanks.
its a nice looking setup curios to see it build up completly for whatever reason i like the looks of trek with campa (-:

rmerka

by rmerka

I don't think it's an unreasonable weight at all for a nice bike. It will certainly be very nice with the Chorus. What is unreasonable is the claim that Trek makes calling it the "The Lightest Production Road Line Ever" when a 52cm weighs in only 35 grams lighter than my 56cm S3, and I don't consider the S3 a weight weenie frame by any stretch.

If Trek is going to throw around terms like "Lightest Ever" they should expect that someone will actually put it on a scale.

Seneb, very nice ride, I'm interested to see it built up and hear about how the ride is. Thanks for the info.
Last edited by rmerka on Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djconnel

by djconnel

Excellent!

My 2008 Fuji SL/1 is 860 grams w/ hanger. Progress...

Madone tests surprisingly well aerodynamically.... recent data from Parlee:

1040 grams after giving up the aero benefits?

Image.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

rmerka wrote:I don't think it's an unreasonable weight at all for a nice bike. It will certainly be very nice with the Chorus. What is unreasonable is the claim that Trek makes calling it the "The Lightest Production Road Line Ever" when a 52cm weighs in only 35 grams lighter than my 56cm S3, and I don't consider the S3 a weight weenie frame by any stretch.

If Trek is going to throw around terms like "Lightest Ever" they should expect that someone will actually put it on a scale

Do people realize this isn't the superlight Emonda SLR that is being discussed here?

It seems to be pretty close to stated weight. From the Emonda SLR thread -

SLR frame 690g (painted 56cm)
SLR fork 280g (painted 235mm steerer)

SL frame 1050g (painted 56cm)
SL fork 358g (painted 240mm steerer)

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@Seneb, nice looking frame. Are you fitting a Chorus crank?

rmerka

by rmerka

Yeah I fully realize that it's not the SLR. I also realize that when one says "The Lightest Production Road Line Ever" that it implies that even the middle model, SL which assumes the moniker of super-light, would in fact be lighter than other middle of the road models which it is obviously not. This is also a 52 we're talking about which is significantly smaller than a 56. After all it's not the S model either which I figure will be even heavier. What I'm interested to see now is an actual weight on an SLR frame.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Trek have published weights for all three models. They are hardly trying to deceive people.

I think you're going a bit overboard....

Seneb

by Seneb

goodboyr - I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed in the information I have posted. Not really. I'm just trying to share information so maybe it will help someone.

istigatrice - Yup, the price is reasonable for a dude with a mortgage and two little kids. MSRPs of $4200 and $1430 for the framesets.

djconnel - Nice Fuji Sl build. I considered the Madone frameset, but like the more traditional look of the Emonda, not to mention the difference in price between the two.

5 8 5 - Yes, Chorus 11 (not the brand new 2015 style). Last night I installed the Trek specific bearing seats. The Loctite needs 24 hours to cure so I'll install the crankset tonight. It's a pretty straight forward process. The only annoying thing is having to purchase the Loctite primer and compound and only use a tiny amount.

I'd be curious to find out how the framesets are weighed. I would bet they are completely bare, without the derailleur hanger and obviously without the cable guides. Maybe they also pulled the plastic cable stops for the internal routing.

Funny thing about some of the negative comments on weight - dudes here get their pants all tight talking about a Moots RSL build where the frame in a 55 is 1180 grams, then scoff at a carbon frame that is lighter because it's not light enough. We all have our version of weight weenieness, and my version won't drain the college funds for my kids.

rmerka

by rmerka

Don't read too much emotion into my post, it's really not there... The fact is it's a BS claim and if it's going overboard to call it out as BS then yes, I'm treading water :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com