Colnago C59 - Mapei - Build pics now added

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

yes, probably needs more contrast... black saddle perhaps ?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kov79

by kov79

Here is a pic before I changed the seat.
Black seat or black post?Image

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ha... well, it's your bike but I would go black post, white saddle. I like the white saddle and if you're going with white tape, which is nice too... then the white saddle brings it together. But do go get yourself a black Campy seat collar and toss that white one whichever way you go. The whole seat cluster/seat post area looks like it's just been dipped in a can of white paint. And the campy seat collar clamp is the best design I've seen in a seat clamp.

What kind of water bottles do you use? Just asking because I really like the Camelbak podiums, which are also what Rapha uses and just sticks their name on them. However, they won't fit in those cages. Surprise! They are also really tight in Arundel mandible cages but at least you can live with that. With the closed loop on those cages, they just don't fit. I think it's more a problem with the camelbak bottles as opposed to the cages because other waterbottles will fit.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kov79

by kov79

Yeah, I will try a black seat and see how I go, I have a black seat clamp so that's not a drama, I did the painted bars as I just couldn't get the front end looking right, now I like that (which is only a 120mm stem by the way) I don't like the seat/post combo. A black post, which was also suggested early on in the build, never really registered as an option, but maybe it will be the way, one way to find out, then I can stop thinking about how it looks and just ride it.

Bottle cages are funny, one fits a camel back and one doesn't!

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

IMHO it looks good with the black saddle

The white post is also ok, maybe just change the seat collar to black to break the "too much white" impression it gives.

BTW I am also going with white post white saddle on a white bike soon with my world champion Mapei C40, we'll see how it looks at the end

The stem has proper length in proportion to the frame, and the paintjob is superb. maybe try out black or blue bar tape to see how it balances the look

Also ATMO your Ergos are too high, the tip of the brake levers should be aligned with the imaginary drops prolongation line. That would put the brake levers perpendicular to the floor,
Hucken The Fard Up !

KB

by KB

Each to their own. I think the Ergo's look fine where they are. There's a good transition from the bar to the ergo hood.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That really has come up quite well.

What size frame? (I may have missed this)

kov79

by kov79

52S

Geoff

by Geoff

I think I'd leave it...

CrazyErrol

by CrazyErrol

SalsaLover wrote:
Also ATMO your Ergos are too high, the tip of the brake levers should be aligned with the imaginary drops prolongation line. That would put the brake levers perpendicular to the floor,

Really, can we stop perpetuating this nonsense?

The levers should go wherever they are comfortable for the person who owns the bike.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The old "rule" that the tips of the brake levers should be aligned with the imaginary line @SalsaLover is referring to was, and is, at best just a guideline and generally works best with classic shaped bars. If it works on any other shapes its purely coincidental. What about bars that have no flat spot in the drops from which to project that line, like the Deda Presa for example with it's RHM bend. So to state that it "should be" done like that is indeed nonsense in this case. Place them where they work best for you.

Having said that however, sometimes people could use a little help. The current position of the levers on those bars make it look like the only real functional place to operate them from is on top of the hoods. The reach, even from the "ergo" bend looks very awkward and long... in that you'd both have to reach up and way out for easy access. I think moving them just about a centimeter down the bars from where they are attached now would make them much better functionally, and looks wise too. But of course if @Kov70 likes them where they are then so be it.

More importantly, @Kov79 already said he finds the tops of the bars somewhat uncomfortable at this point and that he hopes he'll get used to them. Well, as pretty as the special paint is, if you're not comfortable on them, ditch them and get some that are. I hope you do in fact get used to them. I know you'll try. I'm not a fan of the all-in-ones myself. No adjustment whatsoever as to position. Can't rotate them. It is what it is.

@Kov79: Regarding the cages, it's odd that you say a Camelback waterbottle will fit in one cage but not the other. I have only one cage so just assumed they were all exactly the same.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

barsook77

by barsook77

If the Ergos stay in that position while in the drops it will be an impossibility to reach up with the thumb and bang down shifts while hammering. That's why I'm a Campy guy. You cannot do that trick with Shimano mechanical.

That being said...Nice Bike!!!! Really.I just ordered the same thing without the extra holes for electronic, as I am a mechanical guy until it all goes wireless with more advances in battery technology... read less weight!

The issue with setting up this frame is the color scheme. Anytime you put black against it (gloss or matte) it turns up or down the Chroma (saturation) If you don't believe this, look at the identical paint scheme with a white headset cap compared to your black one. White "flashes" the blue in the frame and is the reason we like to see the fade from blue to white in it! Compare your original black stem and bars to an all white configuration to see this difference.

The frame wants white appointments with flashes of red jewels here and there on the skewer caps. Nothing wrong with the all white seatpost and seat for a clean look. Think that is a no brainer, although people like the utility of black because you don't have to clean it all the time!

Heck, as unrealistic as it is, I would do white hoods too while you are at it for a photo shoot, especially with the matte carbon levers. Very tastefully done.

Lightweights were great too...as are the Boras or Corima Aero+ MCC's. Bike needs the 45mm depth on the wheels to smooth out the barrage of color; which you nailed right out of the gate to give ya the aero edge. :)

Hey, you've helped me out greatly by putting this altogether online. Now I don't have to bother my guy pulling out the entire shop to see what works and what does not color wise.

Safe rides once you get back on the road again! Whatever color scheme you decide on, it will end up being a great ride I'm sure.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

barsook gets it ;)
Hucken The Fard Up !

Quinn039

by Quinn039

One of my favourite bikes on the forum. The seat post, saddle, clamp debate seems to be a hot topic... personally I like the white saddle/post combo with the bits of black on both... maybe a black clamp would finish it off nicely?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bjerre

by Bjerre

Horrible font! Hope they change it back as you guys claim!