My Trek Speed Concept

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Ok more to the point we've seen your ride, and hope to god its not a bike shop giving you this information and fit on a bike, if so they should be shut down.

secondly this is WW, how do you plan to shift all that weight off the bike? If your after kudos ill be the second person to tell you that you've come to the wrong forum, this is about being a "Weenie"

Im going to leave you to it as your so convinced you know what your doing, but im sure im not the last to come along and mention this deluded bike.

ill say it again, if you have a medical condition or fit issue, should a "STIFF AS HELL" H1 fit really be the bike you waste your money on?

as as for the "im better than you, you must have struggled in school" comment.....grow up take criticism or go find another more appropriate forum.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Dear Lord someone needs to get their panties changed...

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:Ok more to the point we've seen your ride, and hope to god its not a bike shop giving you this information and fit on a bike, if so they should be shut down.

secondly this is WW, how do you plan to shift all that weight off the bike? If your after kudos ill be the second person to tell you that you've come to the wrong forum, this is about being a "Weenie"

Im going to leave you to it as your so convinced you know what your doing, but im sure im not the last to come along and mention this deluded bike.

ill say it again, if you have a medical condition or fit issue, should a "STIFF AS HELL" H1 fit really be the bike you waste your money on?

as as for the "im better than you, you must have struggled in school" comment.....grow up take criticism or go find another more appropriate forum.

SC's do have a reputation for being heavy, but the thing most people dont realise is that the reason is the integrated stem and bar module, which is a pig. Getting rid of that, the bike already weighs 7050g with no particular effort. I have a few changes in mind that will fingers crossed see it around 6500.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

btompkins0112 wrote:Boys, boys.....lets be civil. Now we know that many of us (myself included) are very opinionated, and sometimes get caught up in trying to convince others that our opinions are correct. However, we can freely state our opinions without being arses about it.

That being said, the OP should have expected the reaction received when he posted that bike on this forum specifically.....we are on WW after all, and this forum could also be called Aesthetic Weenies as it seems the look is as important as the weight.

Lets just take the high road and agree, that this is an interesting project, and although it may not be what any of us would do, the OP has a right to do what he would like with his time, money and bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Appreciate the sentiment. While no contender for worlds lightest bike, I think at pretty much 7kg - and able to drop another 200g+ fairly easily - it is a contender for lightest and most aero.

I accept the bike sure isn't pretty, but that was never the point.
Last edited by mattjevans on Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

wpccrunner wrote:Dear Lord someone needs to get their panties changed...

Or at least apply some more chamois cream?

NGMN

by NGMN

I'd like to see more pictures. As you point out the geometry of the sc isn't that far off h1 and trekuk is throwing an unnecessary hissie fit. Oh well, that's the Internet. If I were to try and do this with a tri frame I might tend to steer towards the specialized shiv because of the higher head tube and shorter reach. Congrats on finishing the project!

Pantani

by Pantani

Thanks for posting your height. Frankly, even if you are not the last word in flexibility, I reckon you'd be better off on a smaller bike. Perhaps more to the point, I presume you're not going to time trial on it, given the fitment of road bars. That being the case, you would be much less compromised on an aero framed roadbike. I say that because I've previously looked at converting last season TT bikes to road spec and it just doesn't stack (sic) up - too many compromises involved.

Sorry, you are getting a bit beaten up here, but the foregoing is intended as constructive advice.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

kikkie

by kikkie

mattjevans wrote:
kikkie wrote:Of course the primary fit difference is the seat tube angle. Just don’t get to defensive, getting critique is part of going out there. Maybe you’ll prove them all wrong and it turns out that this was the best idea since handlebar located shifters;).

I don't mind criticism, I do mind "your bike isn't fit for purpose" from someone (not you obviously) who doesn't actually know what the purpose is, or apparently much about bike fitting

By the way, the bike has the UCI seatpost which is why seat tube angle isn't the 78 degree SC standard, it is 74 degrees

Well great:). Glad you've given it some thought. Really curious to how it rides. Still would be really surpised if it turns out to be confortable though. Kudo's for giving it a shot!

mattjevans

by mattjevans

NGMN wrote:I'd like to see more pictures. As you point out the geometry of the sc isn't that far off h1 and trekuk is throwing an unnecessary hissie fit. Oh well, that's the Internet. If I were to try and do this with a tri frame I might tend to steer towards the specialized shiv because of the higher head tube and shorter reach. Congrats on finishing the project!

it was actually a Shiv that inspired this concept, built by one of the guys at Specialized HQ.

http://www.neilbrowne.com/2012/01/the-2 ... road-bike/

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Pantani wrote:Thanks for posting your height. Frankly, even if you are not the last word in flexibility, I reckon you'd be better off on a smaller bike. Perhaps more to the point, I presume you're not going to time trial on it, given the fitment of road bars. That being the case, you would be much less compromised on an aero framed roadbike. I say that because I've previously looked at converting last season TT bikes to road spec and it just doesn't stack (sic) up - too many compromises involved.

Sorry, you are getting a bit beaten up here, but the foregoing is intended as constructive advice.

Actually I am planning to time trial on it, but only 10milers.

I have an open mind, you may be right about size, will be assessing it over the rest of summer and then deciding.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

mattjevans wrote:
kikkie wrote:I don't mind criticism, I do mind "your bike isn't fit for purpose" from someone (not you obviously) who doesn't actually know what the purpose is, or apparently much about bike fitting

So you had a bike fit then? to make sure your injury or lack of mobility will not cause more trouble? Actually we do in depth fits at our store, using tools and software and taking critical measurements of each individual to ensure they are correctly fitted on their bike, and not just for "what frame size do I need!"

mattjevans wrote:
Pantani wrote:you may be right about size, will be assessing it over the rest of summer and then deciding.

Oops doesnt look like you got a bike fit! It sounded like you got one as you seemed so sure about the sizing on the bike, but it appears you yet to check this properly.

mattjevans wrote:Also the bike shop has wrapped the flats when they are not intended to be, will remedy that shortly.

Sounds like your bike shop know what they are doing!

And without sounding like a cock or argumentative sod it sounds like you have more of an idea than your bike shop, I suggest you dump them and do the work yourself and setup the bike yourself. I cant stress how important it is for someone that has mobility issues like you have mentioned to be properly fitted on such a bike.

Either way I wish you all the best in your rides and I hope it doesn't cause you more trouble.

edit - clearly I cant multi quote :mrgreen:
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

The reason I mention aero is because with that uprising stem and those spacers, the transition from stem to headtube is ripe for separated flow. Doesn't the speed concept have a different bottom bracket drop than the madone?

mattjevans

by mattjevans

justkeepedaling wrote:The reason I mention aero is because with that uprising stem and those spacers, the transition from stem to headtube is ripe for separated flow. Doesn't the speed concept have a different bottom bracket drop than the madone?

There is a 10mm spacer and the way the steerer stub on the SC is shaped maybe 6mm is visible in frontal profile. Obviously less aero than the SC integrated stem, but that's not an option with drop bars

Yes the SC has a lower BB than the Madone

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:
mattjevans wrote:
kikkie wrote:I don't mind criticism, I do mind "your bike isn't fit for purpose" from someone (not you obviously) who doesn't actually know what the purpose is, or apparently much about bike fitting

So you had a bike fit then? to make sure your injury or lack of mobility will not cause more trouble? Actually we do in depth fits at our store, using tools and software and taking critical measurements of each individual to ensure they are correctly fitted on their bike, and not just for "what frame size do I need!"

mattjevans wrote:
Pantani wrote:you may be right about size, will be assessing it over the rest of summer and then deciding.

Oops doesnt look like you got a bike fit! It sounded like you got one as you seemed so sure about the sizing on the bike, but it appears you yet to check this properly.

mattjevans wrote:Also the bike shop has wrapped the flats when they are not intended to be, will remedy that shortly.

Sounds like your bike shop know what they are doing!

And without sounding like a cock or argumentative sod it sounds like you have more of an idea than your bike shop, I suggest you dump them and do the work yourself and setup the bike yourself. I cant stress how important it is for someone that has mobility issues like you have mentioned to be properly fitted on such a bike.

Either way I wish you all the best in your rides and I hope it doesn't cause you more trouble.

edit - clearly I cant multi quote :mrgreen:

Actually I may have been wrong about the bar tape, I have put the same bars as the Madone 7 on and all of the pictures I see of the Madone seem to suggest the flats should in fact be wrapped.

I was properly fitted (ie Retul-type process, cant recall if he actually used Retul, supplemented by a number of discussions with the fitter about areas where compromises were needed) before I even selected this bike, but of course that was done in aero configuration.

The bike shop that did the work pointed out the compromises and suggested a bike fit. I told them I would live with the compromises and that I want to ride the bike for a month and then come back for the fit.

Keep in mind it's not like I bought this frame to do this - I already had the frame, and if I later change my mind all I've really lost is 100 quid which is what the labour to recable it cost, and I'll sell it and get a Madone (which I will certainly get properly fitted for)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com