My Trek Speed Concept

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Pantani

by Pantani

My essential thought is that the frame is at least one size too big for you. What height are you?
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

A S5 probably is more aero than that setup, more useful, too

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Pantani wrote:My essential thought is that the frame is at least one size too big for you. What height are you?

I am 5'9. That is a size M bike.

I can understand why you say it, but I my fitter and I went back on forth, both could have been made to work, but in the end decided (correctly, I still think), that a size S would have too much seat to bar drop for my relatively inflexible back.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

justkeepedaling wrote:A S5 probably is more aero than that

Really really doubt that

deek

by deek

mattjevans wrote:A few people have said that (about handling) and not sure why people are making that assumption?

Time trial bikes generally have a slacker head tube angle (among other things) since they're intended to be ridden fast in a straight line with more weight over the front wheel. That being said, if you like it then that's all that matters.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

its not assumptions, its bloody common knowledge TT bikes are for striaght lines, not the twist undulating roads we ride with road bikes, you bike is not fit for purpose.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

kikkie

by kikkie

Well the seat tube angle, head tube angle, fork rake and wheel base are the most important. Then it will be stiff as hell probably.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

TrekUk wrote:its not assumptions, its bloody common knowledge TT bikes are for striaght lines, not the twist undulating roads we ride with road bikes, you bike is not fit for purpose.

1 Maybe your "common knowledge" should do a geometry comparison between a SC 9 Medium and a Madone 7 H1 54cm. Then "common knowledge" might actually find that a 10mm shorter stem (i.e. 100mm vs 110mm, what a radical notion) and a 10mm spacer under said stem are the primary fit difference.

2 You might ride twistY undulating roads but I don't. So what you're really saying is my bike isn't fit for your purpose. So lucky it isnt your bike...

You seem to be misunderstanding that what I WANTED was a drop bar bike for time trial style riding. i.e.. By myself, on flatish straight roads at relatively high speeds. I physically can't ride aero bars any more or I would have left well enough alone.

mattjevans

by mattjevans

kikkie wrote:Well the seat tube angle, head tube angle, fork rake and wheel base are the most important. Then it will be stiff as hell probably.

ST angle 74. Same as Madone 54
Head tube angle 72.5 Half a degree slacker than a Madone 54
Wheelbase 985 Same as Madone 54
Fork offset 45mm Same as Madone 54

Stiff as hell. HELL YES!!

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

No matter what you say you will get ripped by every one on here, if your needs were so specific then you need an in depth bike fit, not just modify what you think is good for you, clearly not all bike shops give good advise, which is very clear in this case. its not just a matter of stem length, and you would be absolutely crackers to compare a TT bike to a 7s, or any road bike for that matter!!

not only will you get a chuckle from every reader on here, but im sure if you listen carefully you will hear a little chuckle from every rider that passes you on the road.

bike not fit for purpose, end of, you dont just chuck road bars on a TT bike and treat it like a road bike.

EDIT - surley if you have a fit issue or a medical issue preventing you from a proper road bike, then a bike "STIFF AS HELL" is the worst possible bike for you?
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

kikkie

by kikkie

Of course the primary fit difference is the seat tube angle. Just don’t get to defensive, getting critique is part of going out there. Maybe you’ll prove them all wrong and it turns out that this was the best idea since handlebar located shifters;).

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

mattjevans

by mattjevans

kikkie wrote:Of course the primary fit difference is the seat tube angle. Just don’t get to defensive, getting critique is part of going out there. Maybe you’ll prove them all wrong and it turns out that this was the best idea since handlebar located shifters;).

I don't mind criticism, I do mind "your bike isn't fit for purpose" from someone (not you obviously) who doesn't actually know what the purpose is, or apparently much about bike fitting

By the way, the bike has the UCI seatpost which is why seat tube angle isn't the 78 degree SC standard, it is 74 degrees

mattjevans

by mattjevans

Yes I can see reading comprehension wasn't your strong suit at school. Those aren't the bikes I was referencing. You've linked to the 2013 SC and to a Madone 5 H2 not a 7 H1. I am comparing a Madone 7 H1 with the 2011 SC 9 (with steerer stub, which changes the quoted stack)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Boys, boys.....lets be civil. Now we know that many of us (myself included) are very opinionated, and sometimes get caught up in trying to convince others that our opinions are correct. However, we can freely state our opinions without being arses about it.

That being said, the OP should have expected the reaction received when he posted that bike on this forum specifically.....we are on WW after all, and this forum could also be called Aesthetic Weenies as it seems the look is as important as the weight.

Lets just take the high road and agree, that this is an interesting project, and although it may not be what any of us would do, the OP has a right to do what he would like with his time, money and bicycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2