Challange; to lighten my bike 1kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

I dont really care cosmetic.. I don't know what mods you are thinking of that look ugly..
I would like a more snappy, fast accelerating bike.. The special "light" bike feel :) ( FIY, i get that feeling at anything under 8kgs..)

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

clxcolnago

by clxcolnago

I like things dat are cheap n useful

Groupset ultegra mechanical 2441 grams

wheelset easton ea90slx 1398 grams

Handle bar n stem easton ec90 series

Speedplay stainless pedals

Watch ebay for used fizik carbon rail saddle 169 grams

That shud get you 1 kilo reduction without killing contents of wallet.

Seatpost....no comment

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

The first im changing is the cranks, they are abit worn.
The rear wheel have big grooves on the braking surface.
The stem needs to be abit shorter.

So that's the stuff i want to change first.

Current weight as pictured is 8660grams
The cranks weigh 820 grams withouth bearing, with chanrings.. What is reasonable priced and weigh less?

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Some parts have been ordered.

Sram RED crankset. Will save around 150 grams
Ebay brake calipers. Save around 100grams claimed
Tubular 38mm carbon wheels. Will save around 500 claimed.
UNO ASA105 Ultra Light Weight Alloy Stem ordered. Should save around 40 grams claimed.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Good start - keep us up to date with pics and progress

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

The steerer tube is fully carbon, and it originally has this sleeve for reinforcement. Do you guys think its safe to use this normal topcap?

The bike after the weight weening have started :lol:

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Sanded down the fork and removed the PREMIUM logo and re-coated it. Looks nice!

Tried a friends Scott Foil today.. I'm missing soo much out with having a too large bike.. I might buy a Chinarello or something.

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

The chinese gravity must be weaker.. because i got my stem and brakes today!
10grams more than claimed on each part.
Total savings of 140grams though. :)

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

New bottom bracket aswell.. saved 40 grams there :)
The bike is now 8300grams with pedals.

roadieboy

by roadieboy

Nice bike, I like what you did with the fork. I read your 'what frame should I get' thread in the road section. You said you're new to road riding, so maybe you don't have the 'feel' for the road position yet. You're supposed to be 'stretched out' to a certain extent on a road bike, and at 6ft, a 58cm wouldn't be out of the question for you (though this depends on other factors too) Lance is 5' 10" and rides a 58... Another way you could shorten the reach is with some compact handlebars, I like Deda bars.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Skorp wrote:Image

The steerer tube is fully carbon, and it originally has this sleeve for reinforcement. Do you guys think its safe to use this normal topcap?

Not OK to use the star nut in a carbon steerer tube. I see it in your picture - did you use it?

bobqzzi

by bobqzzi

prendrefeu wrote:Tubular will save about 100g-200g (per wheelset) compared to clincher in carbon. There is often some additional savings in a tubular tire vs. tire + tube.

No, because you have to carry a spare tire

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

I was thinking stans fluid, a pump and some superglue.
Anyways, as you now, rotating weight is the important stuff.. So if i have a little tools box it doesn't matter as much.
My normal trip (50km) is anyways around a water and a mountain. The highway goes inbetween the mountain and the water. Call a friend, and 10 minutes later i have my tyre or get picked up. On longer trips, my tools bag will be carried with me.

roadieboy wrote:Nice bike, I like what you did with the fork. I read your 'what frame should I get' thread in the road section. You said you're new to road riding, so maybe you don't have the 'feel' for the road position yet. You're supposed to be 'stretched out' to a certain extent on a road bike, and at 6ft, a 58cm wouldn't be out of the question for you (though this depends on other factors too) Lance is 5' 10" and rides a 58... Another way you could shorten the reach is with some compact handlebars, I like Deda bars.

Thanks! yeah that's probably true.
I'm used to a all mountain bike with pretty tall front end. So it felt really strange sitting on a road bike.. Not relaly WW worthy bike but it's loads of fun.

I have been experimenting some with positioning on the road bike, and now i have it the way i want it atleast and i'm happy with how the bike rides. My pedaling feels more powerfull, and i can ride faster for longer.
I might change my frame anyways.
I have a veteran car for sale, i have a good bid on it now.. If i sell it for that bid, i will have extra money for some fun. Possibly a new road bike!

mellowJohnny wrote:Not OK to use the star nut in a carbon steerer tube. I see it in your picture - did you use it?

There are some threads in the steerertube originally. I only keep my starnut together with my topcap and topcap bolt. So i dont lose any of them :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Skorp
Shop Wrench

by Skorp

Bike is now 8260grams. Chopped steerer, removed FSA "spacer" and one carbon spacer, some small mods on the seatpost and new bartape :)