S5 VWD sub 15 lbs

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Zachchai

by Zachchai

Planned bike build, please recommend components.

RichieE46

by RichieE46

You should probably list a budget of some sort...otherwise you'll probably get recommendations for the lightest/most expensive/exotic parts that are available.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ill principe

by ill principe

Depending on which size you´re building, just going below 15 should not be that hard.
Wheels is an important choice, since you have choosen an S5 relatively deep (~60mm) wheels would be the weapon of choice. As long as these are light, relatively standard components should get you below 6,8kg.

9070 Di2, Speedplays, carbon bars, light saddle (std S5 seatpost is not compatible with oval rails), tune cages is my suggestion.
Current:
S-Works SL8 RTP (build in progress) | Diverge Comp Carbon

Retired:
S-Works SL7 | S-Works Venge | Ultimate CF SLX Mk IV | Ultimate CF SLX Mk III | S5 | R3 | Cento | ...

lbrasi

by lbrasi

that should be no bigger problem, the vwd frame is about 990 g (2,18 lb), my s5 team (1260 g, 2,77 lb) is with campa sr, zipp 404 fc,
rotor 3d+ with srm 6950 g, (15,32 lb)

jockalldrick

by jockalldrick

Just stay away from 11 speed ;3

nismosr

by nismosr

jockalldrick wrote:Just stay away from 11 speed ;3

what's wrong with 11 ? I have the 13 S5 with pre firecrest 808/404 wheels with record 11, zipp vuka sprint bar and sl stem, m3 crank and ee brakeset 15lbs.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

greenplay

by greenplay

Hi there I have an s5 got my bike below 15 lbs

greenplay

by greenplay

And I have 11 speed di2 works perfect

anquetil

by anquetil

My will be soon under 14 lbs. 8)

Zachchai

by Zachchai

My budget is $10k USD excluding the frame, I currently have a Madone 6.9 SSL with Dura Ace C24s. I would prefer to use Shimano components, but would consider SRAM. I currently ride around 200 miles a week, would Zipp 404 Firecrest be a good idea, given my mileage. In my area, (I currently live in China), but there is a Trek dealer around the corner. If I would build one myself, what should I consider for my budget.

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

For 10k usd just for the parts you can do alot better than zipp 404s. I would look to this sites old favorite Carbonsport Lightweights.

I would go with a Rotor 3D+ or at least a real pf30 crank on the s5, speaking from personal experience it functions much better than using a shimano crank and converter bb. SRAM works okay and I have no experience with the THM cranks although many on this website love them.

Stem- Extralite
Handlebar- some kind of exotic or any top end bar
Brakes- DA or EE
Cables- AICAN
Dura Ace Di2
Saddle- Either a dash (which have circle carbon rails which will fit the s5) or a saddle clamp converter and your choice of lightweight saddle.

So all that together would likely run you around 10k. Will certainly be below 15 lbs.

For the wheels the other choice would be a set of ENVEs with some nicer hubs.

perhaps check out Sedluks S5 VWD posted on this website. Lots of good examples on this websites, just look around and figure out what you want!

Zachchai

by Zachchai

shoopdawoop wrote:For 10k usd just for the parts you can do alot better than zipp 404s. I would look to this sites old favorite Carbonsport Lightweights.

I would go with a Rotor 3D+ or at least a real pf30 crank on the s5, speaking from personal experience it functions much better than using a shimano crank and converter bb. SRAM works okay and I have no experience with the THM cranks although many on this website love them.

Stem- Extralite
Handlebar- some kind of exotic or any top end bar
Brakes- DA or EE
Cables- AICAN
Dura Ace Di2
Saddle- Either a dash (which have circle carbon rails which will fit the s5) or a saddle clamp converter and your choice of lightweight saddle.

So all that together would likely run you around 10k. Will certainly be below 15 lbs.

For the wheels the other choice would be a set of ENVEs with some nicer hubs.

perhaps check out Sedluks S5 VWD posted on this website. Lots of good examples on this websites, just look around and figure out what you want!

I would stay away from ENVE's, I currently have a set of Lightweight Meilenstein's, but would use it for my other bike.
Can I do 13.5 lbs at the price, I wouldn't mind a couple suggestions of saddles. My local Cervelo has a P5 in my size, I tried the Di2 version, feels good, but how does it compare with a S5 VWD

greenplay

by greenplay

Yes nice I got my s5 below 14lbs

RichieE46

by RichieE46

Greenplay, what do you have on your S5 that makes it so light?!

Granted mine is not the VWD version so I'm not aiming to be that light. But I would like to get mine in the 15s.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

greenplay

by greenplay

Well it's di2 with rotor 3d+ zipp404 and 3tbars but it's only a 51 frame so it's light