De Rosa King 3 - matte black - 1120g + 362g. New pics on p.1

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Sacke

by Sacke

We got in a De Rosa King 3 frame today in size 55cm.

The frame is the raw carbon finish with the green stripes. No extra paint or clearcoat to add to the weight. Just some stickers (that seem to be quite fragile without a clearcoat)

Look at the finish... the frame is fresh out of the box, and the surface really feels like an old black board. Pulling a nail gently over the surface would cause cold shivers and a stripe in the carbon.

Frame: 1120g

Fork: 362g.

THE FINISHED BUILD

Last edited by Sacke on Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick

by Maverick

I am the first to admit that they look so damn amazing I want one instantly.

BUT the paint job just sounds like way too much hard work to keep looking good, with scratches, stickers coming off etc. happening way too easily.

Always thought the matte black with green or red looked best though... I am still in love!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

perhaps consider hand rubbing wax (beeswax?) on there. i saw a frame given that kind of finish treatment once--wow!

Sacke

by Sacke

jz4nyc wrote:perhaps consider hand rubbing wax (beeswax?) on there. i saw a frame given that kind of finish treatment once--wow!

Hmm... Sounds like a great trick! The owner is picking up the assembled bike tomorrow. I will make sure that I forward the good advise.

I am going to have to speak french. Any chance you could google a picture of suitable beeswax? Do you mean the hard block of wax?

kytyree

by kytyree

I agree the black with green or black with red King's look awesome, would hate to spend that much and feel like I needed to baby the finish though. Still they are pretty.

Auk

by Auk

For the love of god, take pictures and post them after it's built and before it leaves the shop!

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

sorry, no idea. i saw a parlee with their wax finish. i think it was beeswax, but don't quote me on that. maybe contact them directly and ask.

it looked amazing, i'll say that much. had ghost decals on it too.

Sacke wrote:
jz4nyc wrote:perhaps consider hand rubbing wax (beeswax?) on there. i saw a frame given that kind of finish treatment once--wow!

Hmm... Sounds like a great trick! The owner is picking up the assembled bike tomorrow. I will make sure that I forward the good advise.

I am going to have to speak french. Any chance you could google a picture of suitable beeswax? Do you mean the hard block of wax?

Sacke

by Sacke

Auk wrote:For the love of god, take pictures and post them after it's built and before it leaves the shop!

Will do. :) Here is a picture of another De Rosa, but in grey and red. As a matter of a fact, the guy who picks up his black King tomorrow, got a crack in his frame, and instead of waiting even longer for another grey frame, he went for the black one. Apparently De Rosa has run out of tubes for the 55cm frames?!

Personally, I prefer the grey color.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

could you please tell me where the crack on the frame occured? was it the seatmast?

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Those bikes are soooo hot!
Thanks for posting. :D

occor

by occor

Sacke wrote:
Personally, I prefer the grey color.

That's Silver... I love it too. I also love the Nero Rosso. Nero Verde is also very hot. Silver and Nero with tangerine would kill.
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (2.85 KiB) Viewed 9637 times
Last edited by occor on Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

occor

by occor

Sacke wrote:

Beautiful from afar but a bit sloppy up close. For $5,300.00 the details should be perfect. I would never expect that level of execution on a Time.

johanfl

by johanfl

Is that a piece of masking tape left under the green paint?
I wounder if the Italians had too much wine with their lunch that day ;-)

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Bit odd they left out the paint. You can get the same look with a nice strong satin finish. I believe Giant has done this on some bikes ago during the ONCE period. 2003 I think.

Beautiful frame though :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrfish

by mrfish

I would lay money that the King has cracked about 1.5" behind the head tube. Saw that on a number of King XLs. Perhaps they have solved it on the King 3, but perhaps not.

Totally agree on the sloppy up close paint comments. I rode a silver (or grey) and red one for a week and noticed it has worse paint detailing than my £1000 Pinarello from Taiwan which is near-perfect.

Nice frame though, and if you can look past the slightly lardy weight then it's really nice to ride.