HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Interesting ti bike
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:21 am 

prendrefeu wrote:
ISP won't slip. Not that seatposts always slip, but they are more likely to.

Having an S&S at the ISP does three great things:
-enables perfect seat height every time when the ISP is reconnected. Sure a piece of tape would work on a seatpost, but this method requires little or no attention be made.
-The ISP can be removed. Afterall, the bike needs to fit into a suitcase (see this: http://www.mosaiccycles.com/#!tt-1/c1ces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )
-Repairability: if the ISP is damaged, just repair that bit. Just like a seatpost in modularity, without the penalties of an ISP.

Heavier? Yes.
For a travel bike, a great idea.

The downside of an S&S Coupler is having someone steal half your bike. It's possible: the tool for the S&S Coupler is a universal one.

all of these arguments can be made for a regular seatpost, so its hardly a superior alternative. if its such a plug and play solution, why not build the saddle clamp into the post, instead of having a mast cap in addition to the mast. you've now got two parts when once there was one.

what you seem to forget, or choose to ignore is that whilst a seatpost can be fitted with a common tool found on almost any small multi-tool, s&s couplers require an extra tool, that is far less common. also, if you somehow manage to damage either part of the coupler, the isp itself or the mast cap, the chances of finding a replacement or being able to fix it are far less likely than being able to just get a new seatpost. that point alone should discourage anybody who is serious about travelling with their bike outside of areas like portland, colorado springs or new hampshire. most bike shops carry a range of seatposts, but none carry bespoke s&s coupler, titanium seat masts.

you did mention the weight, but who cares really? its not like we are on weight weenies or anything...

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:04 am 

jsinclair,

Yes, you're right. I'm so, so sorry to have even posited any guesses about why Caley chose to have HIS bike built this way. Happy? :roll:

Why are we even arguing about someone else's bike?
Why not just ask Caley about it? He's a user here, after all, and posts often enough.

Posted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:04 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:01 am 

Nobody is arguing with you mate, I'm just pointing out the perceived flaws in your assertion of the "great things" this design achieves. Considering how often we hear about you design acumen, I kind of expected better.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 5:14 am 

Just guessing here, again, but:
Caley travels *a lot* more than most people here, and the cost of shipping the bike is *probably?* covered by VeloNews, especially if the bike fits into a normal looking case (see prior link)

So what is needed: an ultra-light travel bike that minimizes costs... or one that is dependable and is light-enough? So that might be why he chose Ti.

Yes, you do have a point that a S&S coupler on the ISP is just like having a seatpost, and yes an additional tool is necessary... but you're going to have that tool anyway for the rest of the bike, and while a seatpost can be removed/placed often enough each time you do that you lose a bit of grease or need to re-grease, and with the S&S there is no need for greasing issues of seatpost insertion, nor any need to tighten the clamp just right and so on.

I personally would prefer a regular seatpost and I do not like ISPs, but this is not my bike and I don't travel with a bike nearly as extensively, often, or far, as Caley does. Maybe Caley prefers ISPs? Or maybe he prefers having the ease of just attaching the S&S-ISP-thing and knowing that with one turn of the tool the post is locked in place, won't slip, and is at the ideal height? That might make sense if you're traveling all the time - for work - and want to put the bike together to get a quick ride in before getting to your work duties.

And yes, you're right about integrating the saddle mount into the upper part of the S&S-ISP bit, but that's some good observation on your part and frankly I was more interested in the merits of the S&S vs. ISP vs. Seatpost than the weight savings. But hey, since the ISP is now coupled with an S&S, he can simply get that mod done separately by the frame maker while he is still traveling (compared to having a regular ISP where he would be without the bike for a while), and then swap out the new S&S ISP for the old one... ta-da! No loss of ride nor travel time with the bike.

Let's see what Caley says.

ps: I don't design frames, I design graphics, identities, and a whole bunch of other things but certainly not frames. I've never claimed to have designed frames, but graphics for frames is as close as I'll get. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:52 pm 

GonaSovereign wrote:
Nice bike, but a seat post would make so much more sense.

Spot on perfect seat height every time in an instant, plus the benefits of an ISP for those that see that as a benefit seem reasonable to me. It probably takes 20-30 minutes to get that bike ready each time it is unpacked. Reducing that time, even marginally, seems well worth doing something a little different, particularly when that something has no real impact on performance. On a race bike it is ridiculous, for a travel bike it is ingenious.

Post subject: Interesting ti bike
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:38 pm 

Hey jsinclair, do you travel much? I travel with an s&s coupler bike 40 times a year, and on some trips build the bike 3 times - over 4 years that's a lot of 4/5/6mm Allen keys tightened and loosened and they do fail over time, plus I'm on my third seat post collar! I've also left on a ride with the seat not straight and occasional under tightened. I get the seat height right by having a tail light bracket strap set up on the seat post so heights OK -as long as it doesn't slip.

I think the coupler on the seat post is a brilliant idea, and looks cool too. I'm with you on this one prendrefu!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:06 pm 

Love it! Probably the best use of an ISP ever. Add an electronic gruppo and you have my dream travel bike.

Another benefit of the ISP for a traveling bike is not having to worry about snapping your collar bolt from over usage.

Go to page Previous  1, 2