HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:56 pm 

That's actually very light for a frame with bearings, brakes, and what looks like the bolts and derailleur hanger are still on. Same with the fork.

Looks great! Looking to see the completed build

Strava

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 am 
Shop Owner

fantastic looking 7s frame you have there

Posted: Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 am 

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 2:59 pm 

Some common components, still waiting for front D to arrive, cranks and chainrings too.

Campy SR11 rear derailleur, tuned with fiberlyte carbon cage and KCNC pulley wheel bolts, shaving 6g off.

Campy SR11 shifters

Shimano 9000 11 speed Cassette, 11-23t. I’ve also used a Shimano DA cassette previously with my Campy record 10 as I felt it is quieter than my Campy record cassette that I had on another pair of wheels, and Shimano wheels are always easier to sell if I ever want to do that.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm 

Looking forward to hearing about how nicely the DA9000 cassette plays with Campy 11.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:54 pm 
Shop Owner

I picked up up a DA cassette yesterday they are really impressive. looking forward to more updates on this.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:42 pm 

More weights of some random items that I can take off my bike and weigh...

Zipp SL145 stem - much heavier than my previous Extralite stem at about 100g, but I love solid-looking pieces. Probably can't get to weight the Zipp Vuka Sprint as the levers are still on and the mechanics will find me a pain in the a** if I make him weigh it for me midway while transferring it from one frame to another, but a fellow WW has it in picture at 249g.

Look Keo Blade with White Industries titanium spindles.

Madfiber front wheel with Vittoria Evo SC tires - rear wheel still has the cassette on so no point weighing it yet

KCNC skewers.

Removed the duotrap from the frame and had it weighed.

On a side note, I managed to find out the weight of the Bontrager stock brakes watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kJXvhpwkwA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;[/url], and it's an impressive 304g for the pair with pads!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:04 am 

Campy SR11 Front D

KMC 11 speed chain

Tacx Tao Aluminium bottle cage – I ordered in the Bontrager RXL bottle cages too but decided these are much nicer looking, even if two of the Bontrager ones weigh the same as one of these!

Extralite Ultrastar expander, awesome stuff for weightweenies

Deda bar tape, hopefully it will match the bike, and it’ll definitely look much cleaner than white! Will probably use like 35g of it.

Got a 5mm setback seatmast instead as I already have my saddle quite far back with my current setup. Unbelievably, it is actually 2g heavier than the 20mm setback mast!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:09 pm 

Got these cranks to fit Osymetric rings on, and am going to sand it now for a gloss black finish. Before and after

First time I sprayed clearcoat lacquer on I overdid it and it drips, producing an uneven finish. I sanded it again and try a second time, spraying from a further distance - this time the clearcoat mist produced a grainy finish. Any help from anyone on how I can do this right?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:27 am 

I can't get the bike assembled - the non-arrival of the Enduro XD-15 bearings that I ordered 5 weeks ago has been causing me a lot of grief. Disappointed with the service (or the lack of it - 3 emails in 2 weeks with no replies at all!), and I never had to wait so long for anything in my decade of shopping online. I got everything else I needed and these are the last few parts that came in.

Osymetric rings - upgraded to 54t from the previous 52 that I was using. Time to push myself harder...

Got Swissstop Black Prince pads for the Madfiber - anything is better than cork, can't get used to it since I last used the solid Reynolds Blue.

Meanwhile, I got my cranks clearcoated a week ago. It took me 5-6 tries as I'm afflicted with OCD and wanted it to look nothing less than perfect. So many things could mar the coating, uneveness of the spray, dripping of the coating, dust, bubbles etc, and there were many lessons to learn about it. I applied Raceshield protective film over it, as well as on some parts of the bike which can potentially get scratched, while making sure they aren't obvious at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:45 pm 

Left this thread dead for months because I waited 9 weeks for Enduro Ceramic bearings to come; in the end I was just glad that it actually made it here at all. Still, it turns out that the mechanic says I need SRAM BB washers to get it on and right now I'm still waiting for it to arrive. Nonetheless, I got it fixed up, rode it for a week, and went back to get the steerer cut. So here it is –

Glitter paint on the logo

Much happier with this colour scheme than the new team colours.

Tacx Tao alloy cages are heavier than carbon ones but they look much nicer.

Massive headtube that’s larger than the palm!

Unique front brake limit screws for installation on different systems, and a cable release for rear brakes.

Gold cables don’t look too bad to me on it, though I was contemplating getting the industrial metal look of the Yokozuna cable housing.

The lack of a bridge for rear brakes might be the secret to its comfort.

The Duotrap sensor doesn’t really go very well with my madfibers as I can’t install its magnet and I had to glue a stack of neodymium magnet on one spoke so that it is tall enough to give a magnetic signal to the sensor.

Rode it once on wet roads and the rear brakes doesn’t get any dirtier compared to conventional brakes.

Upgraded to a 54t Osymetric ring from the previous 52t. The front D hanger didn’t allow the front D to go high enough and I had to modify the provided 10mm spacer with some advice from Tillquist – Thanks!! Also had to pry this plastic tab on the upper end on the inside of the front D to avoid chain rub in some gear ratios.

The seat tube bottle cage was too high and I had to pull the bottle out towards the front instead, leaving marks all around the bottle. Got the Di2 bottle cage adaptor and shifted it down all the way, problem solved.

Much more comfortable than the BMC, but I’m not sure if that means it is less stiff (not the sprinter type anyway). The big plus of this frame is that I can slam my stem lower and get more drop by raising the seat mast to the minimum insert level. Not doing this just for fashion’s sake; I have good flexibility and stay in the drop more often than most other people that I ride with.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 pm 
Shop Owner

Thats one mad looking 7s!!!

Bontrager RXL carbon cages are half the weight of those, also black side wall tubs would look better IMO, and if it were mine bontrager carbon RXL bars and XXX stem would be my choice.

But its not my bike is it!

Great effort and great bike. and my fave team colours.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:05 pm 

The BMC looked much better with all the different parts. Sorry!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:36 pm 
Shop Owner

I think the bontrager Aeolus D3 wheels would suit this bike a million times better with black bar tape and RXL carbon cages, It would sort it out hell of alot.

It doesnt look as much as it costs as there is so much going on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:40 pm 

Great bike. Way better than the BMC

Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:40 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:16 am 

Obviously I imported many of the parts over from the BMC, except for the SR11 parts; I thought they'll work better on this bike actually since its just white grey and gold instead of having a large swath of red as well. I actually got the RXL cage but abandoned them for this as I don't take to the graffiti-laced looks. Wouldn't consider changing the wheels because I love these for their weight - I might even get them changed to the new Version 2.

Weight is 5.96kg without cages and garmin mount. as reported by the mechanic. Another shop said it was 6kg exactly when the steerer tube was still long so I believe both are accurate measures.

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next