Great rig
BACK IN BLACK

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinytree

by tinytree

both bikes look great! i kinda like the madfibers. you sure don't see them very often!

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

What did you do exactly to get the spokes white? How's the colour holding up?
I'm building up a set of chinese wheels but they only have black CX-Rays and I reeeeeally dig white spokes. Especially on full carbon clinchers!
The Eastons look GREAT btw.

EDIT:
Just noticed the top tube bag, what is it? Does it fit a lot?
I'm thinking of going on rides without pockets and this looks like a great solution.

EDIT (again):
How's the shifting with the osymetric rings?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

White spokes - I used masking tape over all the other areas of the wheel and spray-painted the spokes. The taping process takes about half hour per wheel.

The paint job turned out rough at a few areas where bubbles formed or when new paint went on before the previous coat dried, and the weather is really humid here which probably doesn't help things. Still, the imperfections can't be seen unless your eyes are 20cm away from the spokes so it's pretty ok. Even if some of the spokes get a little dirty the overall look is still really good. With the decals design, these Easton wheels really deserve white spokes!

Top tube bag - Saw it on a bike in a LBS and bought one too, cutting away quite a few straps to make it look neater. It fits a can of sealant, small allen keys and 2 clif bloks or a replacement Oakley lens. Likes the way it goes up to the blocky Zipp stem. I go for long rides sometimes and this is probably the most elegant bag on the bike. http://darkspeedworks.com/products.htm

Osymetric Shifting - The new generation ones with ramps and pins are really good, they shift really well now!

ihs0yz

by ihs0yz

Thanks! I'm interested in getting my black spokes white too, googled a little around and apparently they don't hold on very well.
You didn't prep the spokes for paint like say sanding them?
Do drop an update if the paint degrades somehow :)

I'm not being hopeful but.. How much weight did the paint add? :shock:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

No I didn't prep it first. If it ever start falling off in flakes or something I'm thinking of using hobby paint to paint it - that'll take a longer time but the coat will be much more even at least.
I forgot to weigh it afterwards but the weight of the wheels before the paint was 1364g.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Kayrehn wrote:Got these cranks to fit Osymetric rings on, and am going to sand it now for a gloss black finish. Before and after

First time I sprayed clearcoat lacquer on I overdid it and it drips, producing an uneven finish. I sanded it again and try a second time, spraying from a further distance - this time the clearcoat mist produced a grainy finish. Any help from anyone on how I can do this right?

Are you using off the shelf spray cans? If so the pressure is usually to low to give a good finish. If this is your only option then try using a hair dryer to warm the parts before spraying. This will cause the paint to obviously dry and become tackier as soon as it's sprayed. It's a case of try it first on a piece of scrap material.
You need to spray the part so there's enough paint for it to settle and lay flat and shiny, without running! Once sprayed waft the hair dryer over the painted area to help the initial dry time and adhesion to speed up. Your not trying to completely dry the paint just help it become tacky and do reduce chances of drips. You need to do it in a dust free area or you'll just suck crap through the dryer and blow it straight onto your new paint.
Once painted just leave hanging somewhere all day. Give it a sniff after a while if you can still smell paint chemical it's still drying, sometimes a few days until it's completely dry. You can then buff it up with auto paint rubbing compound. And drips can be removed with 1000-1200grit sandpaper used wet, then buff the area with rubbing compound. Hope that's of some help.

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Kayrehn wrote:To those who complains about the bling - I removed the madfiber decals recently, something I really should have done a long time ago because it looks much cleaner this way.

There was a bit of play in the rear hub recently and when I got the bearings changed apparently the bearing cups wore into the axle leaving a slight indentation on it. Thankfully MF sent me a new axle previously and I put it to good use, no problems at all for now. I am dreaming of a set of Enve 3.4 with alchemy hubs and white spokes when the MF wears out though. Don't want to be a team bike fanboy but the white spokes on the Bontragers looks great.

This is a long shot for an old post. I have a set of Madfiber also with pay in the rear and what looks like a score mark on the axle. have you any contact details so I can try to find a new axle?

many thanks for any help :thumbup:

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hey there, I don't know how you can find axles of a similar sort, sorry!

Clannagh

by Clannagh

Hi thanks for replying, I've started a new thread to see if it throws up anything.
Many thanks :thumbup:

brahl

by brahl

How did you find the frameset? I rarely see these available and only on eBay.
2020 Litespeed T1sl
2016 Specialized S-Works Tarmac (SL5)
2006 Trek Madone SL 5.9

tabl10s

by tabl10s

What cable housing are you using?
2015 Pinarello F8: 13.13lbs/5.915kg(w/Roval 64's). Sold.
2016 Rca: 11.07lbs/5.048kg.
2015 Rca. 11.15 lbs(w/Roval CLX 32's)
2015 Rca/NOS(sold).
2018 S-Works SL6 Ultralight 12.03lbs(w/Roval CLX 50's)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

tabl10s wrote:What cable housing are you using?

Just standard campy ones. This isn't a ww project so that's fine