2013 Venge with SRAM Red + Quarq + Zipp + EE = 6.5kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

woz9683

by woz9683

Just finished building it up last night! Still lacks bar tape that I didn't have time to put on and a garmin 510 that's en route. Couple quick cell phone pics for now. Will post numbers later, but stands at 6.5kg, size 54.

* Updated with better pics, and bartape!
Last edited by woz9683 on Wed May 08, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Awesome, proper purposeful bike. That this is made to breakaway over and over and over......
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Nice freaking bike

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I normally despise specialized but that is one nice example
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Why and how can you despise a bike?
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

Devon

by Devon

TrekUk wrote:I normally despise specialized but that is one nice example

+1

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Dig the traditional bend Vuka Sprints. Very sharp build.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Damn Woz! Way to take advantage of the team pricing! Can't wait to see her on the Tuesday/Thursday rides (even if just in the parking lot!)

quattrings

by quattrings

Just rode one this weekend on the O² happy bike days. Must say I was seriously impressed with the ride. It just feels fast, not overly harsh. The handling is good and it climbs reasonably well too. If I had some cash burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably buy a Venge.
I was not impressed however with new Sram force's brake power. Setup was: Roval carbon clinchers, force calipers and swiss stop black prince pads.
In truth I had been testing mtb's all day with big rotors and plenty of stopping power, but braking on the venge was ultimately subpar, even scary.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

53x11 retake pic please!

amazing machine

woz9683

by woz9683

Glad you guys like it! I will get some better pictures up in the next day or two. Got a couple days on it now, and it is a blast to ride!

Comfort: It really is quite comfortable, although maybe not so surprising coming from the Helium with the ISP. It definitely soaked up the road better, and FWIW the wheels, bars and saddle have all been on my Helium, so it really is down to the frame.
Cornering: I took a couple corners on it that just made me smile! Stage race this weekend, and I couldn't help but think that I can't wait to get it in a crit (which is something I have never thought before). There are a bunch of differences between this and the Helium, so I'm not sure what the biggest contributor is, but my front end is lower (a full inch shorter than the Helium, even with the aero top cap), the wheelbase is a little shorter, and the stiffness is much much better (frame, and more importantly, the fork I think). Every line I took just felt really stable, more connected than I'm used to.
Speed: Nothing objective here yet. I don't have the power meter connected to anything, so was just going by feel, but it felt good! Our Tuesday ride is pretty brutal, and thins out fast, most of the ride done with only 5 people (3 of them cat1s). Averaged 25-26mph for 40 miles through deccently rolling hills. Really looking forward to some data!

jmilliron: Thanks! Yeah, the vukas are awesome! The last several bars I've had have all been TB, and I'm hooked, tried a couple ergos and just don't like them. I've been playing around with widths though, went from 44c-c 3Ts, to 40o-o zipps, but went back up to 42o-o for these and I'm really happy with them. Coupled with the 130mm stem, they just put me in a great position on the hoods or in the drops. Saddle to bar drop is 10cm.

btompkins0112: Good to see you last night Brad! Glad we got that ride in before the rain set in on us. Yeah, Indian Cycle really hooked me up with this one!

quattrings: I had Red brakes before, and never really had any issues, I can't imagine Force being much different. The Corima pads have been great for me on carbon braking surfaces, so maybe it was a setup or pad issue with the one you tested? Although, I did buy this bike as a frameset specifically because I wanted to do my own thing for the brakes and wheels. I've got too many wheels as it is (when I take good pics I'll throw on some 808s and some 38mm generics too), and I just didn't see anything special about the rovals. The EE brakes are great too! When I got them, and looked at the instructions, I was thinking "man, this is going to be a pain in the ass to setup", but not so, it was surprisingly easy to do. And they are just so smooth; I built everything up myself, but took it to the LBS afterwards, and a couple of the mechs (who'd never heard of EE) felt the brakes and were really impressed with the modulation.

More to come! I'll get some better pics (Yes, in the big ring :lol: ), and post the numbers soon.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Couldn't find a Venge-specific thread so I'll throw mine in.
2013 OPQS edition with Reynold Assault clincher.

Not the lightest and I don't find it uncomfortable over decent distances either.
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

woz9683

by woz9683

I updated the original post with better pictures. Bars are wrapped now. I've got the garmin, and used it for a couple of rides. I've got a mount from Tillquist on order to finish it off! Will post a couple more pictures when it arrives.

And, the brakes may not be integrated, but the small profile of the EEs sure do follow the profile of the fork cleanly! :D

Also, failed to mention this before, but I took the gloss off the vukas so they match the frame a little better. I should have done before and after, but I think it looks much better this way.

Ludo

by Ludo

is it a gxp or a bb30 crankset?
if it is a gxp-crankset : how do you fix it into the frame.
with an pf30 to bsa adapter?

thatdkid

by thatdkid

That is a fast bike! How are the brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com