2013 SuperSix Evo DI2 build

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DaleRider

by DaleRider

Well, in my quest for a BMC SLR01, I stumbled upon this frameset instead. A guy bought it from the LBS just for the 9070 group and sold the frame for a price that was way to good to pass on. The build isn't going to be totally Weight Weenie as I'll need everything to last for four days in July when I do the Pan Ohio Hope Ride (328 miles in four days).

The build plan is as follows:

DA 7970 DI2 group with the stock battery modified to fit in the seat tube
Revl Brakes
Praxis BB30 conversion bottom bracket
DA7950 crank with 50/36 gearing
FSA SL-K Stem
FSA K-Force New Ergo 42cm bars
FSA K-Force seatpost
Specialized Toupe Pro saddle
DA7900 pedals
Tune bottle cages for Tacx bottles (15g each)
KNC chain
DA7900 12-25 cassett

I'm still undecided on wheels, but I'm leaning toward a Zipp 202 at the moment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaleRider

by DaleRider

This frame is electronic only and I've already got the 7970 group collecting dust in my basement.

thatdkid

by thatdkid

Please post a full review of how this frame rides.... It is one of the few production frames that temps me.

MarkGiardini

by MarkGiardini

Back on topic...that's a really sweet frame mate. I saw that exact model in my local a couple of days ago and the finish on it is damn crisp
KWalker wrote:chill out perv dogs, homegirl is still only 17.

crimsonbadger

by crimsonbadger

What 36T ring are you going to use on your crankset? I've heard of shifting issues when the stock 34T is swapped out, as the ramps on the 50T are specific for the trajectory the chain takes from the 34T to the 50T. I'll be interested to see how it shifts.

DaleRider

by DaleRider

I'll let everyone decide what group is best for them. I've ridden everything but 9070 and they are all greater than the down tube shifters that I had back when my first road bike only had 10 speeds.

@crimsonbadger ~ I know the issue well. You can get around it if you have everything set up perfectly. Currently I'm using an FSA 36t gear and it's working really well on a bike that is running a 6700 front derailleur. My favorite combo though was te 50/39 I could get with Rotor 130 bcd Q-rings. Loved the ratio but the Q-rings just didn't work for me.

I'm just waiting on a few small parts and I'll resume the build. The shop lost the front gromett for the rear brake line so I ha to order one up, and I also had to order the proper Shimano DI2 grommets as well.

So far I'm really impressed. The frame weighed 817g on my scale with the rear hanger but without the seatpost clamp. The fork comes in at 328g with the uncut steerer tube. I can't wait to finish this one. It's already got me more giddy than the last 2 S-works Tarmacs and 3 Cervelos that I've built only to turn around and sell just to go back to my old trusty CAAD8.

DaleRider

by DaleRider

No more DA7950 crank for this build.

I also managed to get the internal wiring routed this weekend. I'm still working on what is going to be the lightest and best battery set up though. I'll post up picks of the battery once it's finished.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Looking forward to seeing some updates I like this frameset.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

DaleRider

by DaleRider

Battery is in the seatpost. Total weight with wires came out at 63g. It's held into the seatpost with two O-rings.

renoracing

by renoracing

This is going to be lovely...

DaleRider

by DaleRider

Just a little update

CBJ

by CBJ

Nice! Clean looking spacers.

dookie45

by dookie45

I'm also trying to install my 7970 Di2 on an EVO, Could you tell me which internal wiring kit you used? Could you also show more pics on how the battery is wired to the wiring kit? Also, Which battery are you using. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

DaleRider wrote:The build isn't going to be totally Weight Weenie as I'll need everything to last for four days in July when I do the Pan Ohio Hope Ride (328 miles in four days).

328 miles over 4 days may be a challenge to some people, but in terms of equipment I do not see why it would prevent you from making the bike as light as possible.
In fact, it would most likely make your 'challenge' a bit easier.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

DaleRider

by DaleRider

@dookie45 - I'm using a 7.4V 650mAh lithium ion battery set-up to mount inside the seatpost. I used the medium wire kit for the 54 CM frame and there was plenty of wire to spare. The battery is wired by gutting the stock mount to get the internals out. There is a thread on here somewhere that gave me the idea for it.

@prendrefeu - your right, 328 in 4 days really isn't all that much. The second day of the ride has some real climbs, but I really want the bike to be comfortable too. My goal is to have it as light as possible, while keeping the DI2 for the Michigan Mountain Challenge next year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com