Kestrel Legend SL

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

sparkyoh

by sparkyoh

New to the group and have not seen any posts on the Kestrel Legend SL. I'm currently in the market for a new road frame to build with Campy Super Record group. Goal is to find something that is lightweight, relatively comfortable (I'm 50) and not outrageously expensive. The Legend SL would appear to meet those criteria. Currently riding an older Kestrel 200 EMS with Chorus group. Was not originally in the market for another Kestrel, but given the price/performance, I can't really ignore it. Any thoughts, opinions, alternatives would be welcome.

michel2

by michel2

Welcome sparkyoh
define comfortable and not outrageously expensive ?
Without those factors its a bitt stabing in the dark but perhaps its worth to mention the giant defy advance, my wife rides one an loves it ! But have a look at the link, others do to (;

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/new ... ear/16523/

Further the cannondale synapse is i think a bike aiming for the same audience, trek domane, bianchi's coast to coast (ctc) series are a similiar set up and do come in alloy aswell as carbonfiber frame's

It all really depends on the mulla (;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sparkyoh

by sparkyoh

Michel2: Thanks for the feedback. I guess I do need to qualify 'comfort'. I read some frame reviews that talk about how stiff and non-compliant, i.e., transmit all road noise and vibration to the rider, true top of the line racing frames can be. I don't plan to race at this point, but do want a frame that is as light as possible, stiff in the right places but doesn't vibrate my teeth loose. I'm currently riding a race frame and find it very comfortable on longer rides and at 'my age', am concerned about getting a frame that is just over the top with stiffness. From what I have seen of the Kestrel Legend SL, it appears to tick all of the right boxes for me, but I have yet to see any reviews from real owners - just journalists testing it. I'm not tied to any specific brand and am open to suggestion and figured this forum might provide some options I'm not aware of.

djconnel

by djconnel

Peloton magazine gave this a favorable review, which is virtually meaningless since their reviews are shamelessly biased, but the frame looks very impressive. Finally someone makes a comfort-oriented bike without a monster head tube.

Ironically when I looked at the review I thought "that reminds me of my Fuji SL/1, but more than 100 grams lighter", since the focus was so much on comfort, not on eliminating any perception of flex, which is mostly elastic anyway. Then I just read a quote from Red Kite Prayer:

I went out for a ride with Steve Fairchild who led the design of this bike, RKP contributor J.P. Partland and mountain bike legend Joe Breeze. ASI, the parent company for Fuji and Kestrel is also the parent for Breeze’s Breezer bikes, hence the connection there. Fairchild revealed that he wasn’t concerned with making the stiffest bike on the planet. He’s long had a reputation from his work with Fuji, Jamis and now Kestrel for designing bikes that felt good to ride (read: not overly stiff) and handled with enough certainty to inspire confidence in the rider.

So indeed the designer used to work for Fuji (and Rock Racing, I think..).

That down tube sure looks large, but hard to tell from the photo: