MY2020 Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc (Standard-Mod)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

floriansantana

by floriansantana

I already built it in 2019, but here's my "new" Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc.

The frameset is the Standard-Mod version, as I got a pretty good deal on a 105 Disc version of the bike and stripped off everything and rebuilt the bare frame. I really love the paint work. It doesn't look very special on paper, but in reality it's stunning. The grey parts are shining in rainbow colors in the sun, which looks great.

Anyway, here's the build list:

Frameset: Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc, 56cm, Standard-Mod
Headset: Stock Cannondale headset
Headset compression assembly: Schmolke Expander SL
Stem: FSA OS-99 130mm
Handlebar: 3T Superergo Team Carbon Lenker - Stealth Black - 42cm (C-C)
Bar Tape: Lizard Skin DSP 2,5mm
Crankset: Cannondale Hollowgram SI, 172.5mm
Chainrings: Cannondale SpideRing, 52/36
Bottom Bracket: Stock Cannondale PF30A BB
Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon 16Nm
Shifters: SRAM Red eTap 11-speed HDR
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
Chain: SRAM Red22
Cassette: SRAM XG-1190, 11-28
Wheelset: HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc
Tires: Vittoria Corsa G2 25mm
Tubes: Tubolito S-Tubo
Axles: Robert Axle Project
Brakes: SRAM Red
Rotors: SRAM Centerline X, 160/140mm
Seatpost: Cannondale Hollowgram 27 SL KNØT
Saddle: Shortfit saddle from Aliexpress
Bottle Cages: Tune Wasserträger 2.0

The bike weighs in at around 7,3 kilos, which I think is pretty decent considering it's the Standard-Mod frameset.

I thought about going for the sub-7 kilo mark with a lighter wheelset and an SISL2 crankset with SpideRing SL, but that would be a pretty expensive affair for a saving of about 300g-400g. If anyone other ideas, where I could find some cheap extra grams, let me know in the comments below. Up to now I haven't looked at headset bearings, BB and stuff like this, so maybe there's some grams to save (I really don't know if there is anything to save weight wise).
Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc
Cannondale SystemSix HiMod Disc
@floriansantana

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

S6ED

by S6ED

floriansantana wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:07 am
I already built it in 2019, but here's my "new" Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc.

The frameset is the Standard-Mod version, as I got a pretty good deal on a 105 Disc version of the bike and stripped off everything and rebuilt the bare frame. I really love the paint work. It doesn't look very special on paper, but in reality it's stunning. The grey parts are shining in rainbow colors in the sun, which looks great.

Anyway, here's the build list:

Frameset: Cannondale SuperSix Evo Disc, 56cm, Standard-Mod
Headset: Stock Cannondale headset
Headset compression assembly: Schmolke Expander SL
Stem: FSA OS-99 130mm
Handlebar: 3T Superergo Team Carbon Lenker - Stealth Black - 42cm (C-C)
Bar Tape: Lizard Skin DSP 2,5mm
Crankset: Cannondale Hollowgram SI, 172.5mm
Chainrings: Cannondale SpideRing, 52/36
Bottom Bracket: Stock Cannondale PF30A BB
Pedals: Look Keo Blade Carbon 16Nm
Shifters: SRAM Red eTap 11-speed HDR
Front Derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Red eTap
Chain: SRAM Red22
Cassette: SRAM XG-1190, 11-28
Wheelset: HUNT 50 Carbon Aero Disc
Tires: Vittoria Corsa G2 25mm
Tubes: Tubolito S-Tubo
Axles: Robert Axle Project
Brakes: SRAM Red
Rotors: SRAM Centerline X, 160/140mm
Seatpost: Cannondale Hollowgram 27 SL KNØT
Saddle: Shortfit saddle from Aliexpress
Bottle Cages: Tune Wasserträger 2.0

The bike weighs in at around 7,3 kilos, which I think is pretty decent considering it's the Standard-Mod frameset.

I thought about going for the sub-7 kilo mark with a lighter wheelset and an SISL2 crankset with SpideRing SL, but that would be a pretty expensive affair for a saving of about 300g-400g. If anyone other ideas, where I could find some cheap extra grams, let me know in the comments below. Up to now I haven't looked at headset bearings, BB and stuff like this, so maybe there's some grams to save (I really don't know if there is anything to save weight wise).
Very nice, enjoy!

Speaking from my experience with the previous gen Evo Disc (with mechanical Dura-Ace), which I've managed to bring down to 7.02kg complete with pedals, bottlecages, Garmin stuff and 60g sealant, you could perhaps look for a lighter saddle, lighter bar tape, and titanium bolts for the stem.

Saddle choice is a personal matter, I'm using a San Marco Superleggera (narrow) at 105g, very comfortable and reliable, costs about €300 if you shop around.

Deda standard bar tape is one of the lightest at less than 50g for a complete wrapping, costs about €9, and has a soft feel.

Replacing the six stem bolts with Ti ones should save you about 15g perhaps, they also look better and don't rust!

I have also replaced the bolts and barrel nuts (or whatever they're called) of the seatpost head with Ti ones and saved another 20g or so.

Bought all Ti stuff here: http://tibike.co.uk

You could also shop around for a deal on a SpideRing SL, sometimes you can get it considerably discounted.

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Ti bolts are on my shopping list, looks like there's at least a couple of grams to be saved with that. Do you know which bolts I need for a standard FSA OS-99 stem? I guess I can't swap bolts on the seat post clamp since it's integrated on the new SuperSix and not some kind of standard bolt clamp.

Regarding the saddle, the one I'm using now weighs in at 120g, so there is not a lot of wiggle room there. I really like the fit and the weight is also great, so I guess I'll keep that for now, but you are definitely right, that you can save a chunk of weight on the saddle alone.
@floriansantana

Morritz

by Morritz

Thats a lovely looking whip. I am sorely tempted to look at getting the RED Etap groupset for my SS, but can't figure if i will like it more than mechanical durace...
Cannondale SS HM 2020
@pistaboy

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

Looks mega, congrats! Maybe a lighter set of tyres? Not easy if you're set on tan walls but I'll be trying Veloflex Masters on mine soon, 210g each. How reliable do you find the tubolitos?
Cannondale SSEvo3 'Atticus' - 7.2kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=161634

Cannondale Systemsix ’Dante’ - 7.7kg
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=167144

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:23 pm
Looks mega, congrats! Maybe a lighter set of tyres? Not easy if you're set on tan walls but I'll be trying Veloflex Masters on mine soon, 210g each. How reliable do you find the tubolitos?
I love the Corsas, but it’s true - they are heavy. But I love the tanwalls on them and the ride feel, but I could probably save 100 grams in tires alone. Any other tire recommendations (even if they don’t have tan walls)? What’s light and yet durable enough for everyday use?

The Tubolitos are great, I have yet to have a puncture after 6000km (on both of my bikes).

Regarding bar tape: Is the Deda one as tacky as the Lizard Skins? I like the feel of bar tapes such as Lizard Skins or Supacaz. I have no idea though how heavy those are compared to the Deda that was mentioned in the thread.
@floriansantana

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Nice Evo!
:thumbup:
floriansantana wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:07 pm
I love the Corsas, but it’s true - they are heavy. But I love the tanwalls on them and the ride feel, but I could probably save 100 grams in tires alone. Any other tire recommendations (even if they don’t have tan walls)? What’s light and yet durable enough for everyday use?
Corsas also make a different sound when rolling... That said, I now use GP5000 which I think offer one of the best compromise of performance VS weight VS durability. Lighter than Corsas, more resistant to punctures in my experience and faster rolling. Both have good levels of grip too.

S6ED

by S6ED

floriansantana wrote:
Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:23 pm
Regarding bar tape: Is the Deda one as tacky as the Lizard Skins? I like the feel of bar tapes such as Lizard Skins or Supacaz. I have no idea though how heavy those are compared to the Deda that was mentioned in the thread.
The basic Deda bar tape is not tacky at all, more like "cork", I'd say. I have the impression that tacky tapes tend to be on the heavy side.

Regarding tire weight, here's a road tire comparison chart by weight. The really light ones offer minimal protection though.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... rby=weight

Given that I only do climbs and hence fast descends, I've opted for reliable tubeless tires that won't come off the rim in case of puncture, even if the sealant won't seal the hole. Currently I run Mavic (Hutchinson) Yksion Pro UST tubeless: 250g + 30ml sealant per wheel. Two punctures in three years and many thousands of kms.

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

floriansantana wrote:

The Tubolitos are great, I have yet to have a puncture after 6000km (on both of my bikes).

I'm afraid I'm in a similar boat as I also have Corsas on atm :noidea: I do also have a set of P Zero Velos to try at some point, also around 215g, apparently roll well and durable but missing the high TPI count of the Corsas and Veloflex.

On bae tape, I'm swapping to Fizik Vento Microtex Tacky stuff when I swap out the cockpit, it feels lovely and soft out the box, but not the lightest I don't think. 45g per roll...

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Morritz wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:23 pm
Thats a lovely looking whip. I am sorely tempted to look at getting the RED Etap groupset for my SS, but can't figure if i will like it more than mechanical durace...
You'll love it and you could probably get a pretty good deal on some of the upgrade kits, which probably are the best, when you already have a crankset from Cannondale that you want to use.

That said, these days I'd really consider going for one of the AXS groupsets. Prices have settled a bit, you can get good deals on upgrade kits as well and there are also 3rd party chainrings to use with the flattop chain. So I'd look at that as well.
@floriansantana

floriansantana

by floriansantana

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:55 pm
I'm afraid I'm in a similar boat as I also have Corsas on atm :noidea: I do also have a set of P Zero Velos to try at some point, also around 215g, apparently roll well and durable but missing the high TPI count of the Corsas and Veloflex.

On bae tape, I'm swapping to Fizik Vento Microtex Tacky stuff when I swap out the cockpit, it feels lovely and soft out the box, but not the lightest I don't think. 45g per roll...
Alright, thanks for the input. I also looked at Pirelli P Zero Velos, but I would definitely go for the black version because the brown tanwalls don't look that good. Maybe I'm trying these on my shallow climbing wheelset together with tubolitos.

I never really weighed handlebar tape I have to admit, but that said, I think I might take a look the next time I swap it. 50g difference sound tempting considering I'm actually saving money as well. I'd say the Lizard Skins will probably also weigh in at around 90-100g, so that's 150g in tires and bar tape and maybe 50g in other small parts such as Ti bolts and headset.

Any headset recommendations? Light and yet durable and relatively cheap? Or BB?

And: Does anyone know a standard headset topcap cover that fits onto the SuperSix headset? I'm thinking about swapping the KNOT topcap for a carbon standard top cap as EF does on their team bikes. Any recommendations?
@floriansantana

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

BB I've been told the stock one is actually very light, almost all the good options like C Bear are gonna be heavier, so you'd only swap it for quality of life (sound) purposes :lol:

floriansantana

by floriansantana

S6ED wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:53 pm
Regarding tire weight, here's a road tire comparison chart by weight. The really light ones offer minimal protection though.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.co ... rby=weight
Thanks for the link, I'll take a look at the list to sort out options. To get 100g given to me basically for free (at least when I have to change the tires next time anyway) sounds really tempting.
@floriansantana

S6ED

by S6ED

Jackofallgrades wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:24 am
BB I've been told the stock one is actually very light, almost all the good options like C Bear are gonna be heavier, so you'd only swap it for quality of life (sound) purposes :lol:
I've clocked over 30.000km on the standard Cannondale PF30A BB with no issues whatsoever. At some point I replaced just the bearings (kept the aluminium cups and the plastic tubes that seal the assembly) with SKF bearings, about €60 for the set. Runs perfectly. It's also the lightest option, I believe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jackofallgrades

by Jackofallgrades

You're luckier than me, I've had a small vibration/tick since day 2 :roll: But hey, anything for WWism...