6.4KG full suspension MTB

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

SebK5

by SebK5

Been a while since I've been here . Been on Facebook for a while and well it's very toxic .

Anyhoo you might remember the post of my 6.5 kg full suspension . That changed to 6.8kg when I added a 10 spd drivetrain . Well I decided to convert back to singlespeed .

This is with a custom titanium sprocket from the States, custom carbon freehub spacers (and one alumium gold spacer), YBN titanium chain, Paul Components Melvin tensioner and gold Ceramic Speed full ceramic jockey wheel .

I modified the Melvin by cutting the top section away and machining it down to a rounded shape . I replaced the steel jockey wheel bolt with titanium bolt machined down in the lathe and also deep couintersunk the eyelet on the arm . All this brought the weight from 108 grams to 68 grams .

For a detailed description of the bike apart from the single speed part you have to check my old posts .

To get this bike to 6.4kg is insane . I mean it's ight tha most rigid bikes . Abviously it doesn't come close to my 4.8kg MTB but this obivously has more parts .

Now I do have a video of me weighing the 4.8kg MTB as people didn't believe it . Again you have to check my Facebook page to see it . https://www.facebook.com/SebKMTBCarbonPlus/

Now I stopped posting on my Instagram becuase I wasn't getting much engagement and just seemed a waste of time so there aren't many posts there . https://www.instagram.com/sebkmtb/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xkcd

by xkcd

Impressive built for sure from a technical standpoint.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't plan to do any rides do you? Seems a bit pointless to ditch the ten speed cassette for a singlespeed if you want to go fast uphill.
The rear brake disc looks like you could flip the wheel from the picture :D

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Make one with a dropper, longer reach, slacker HTA, steeper STA, gears, actual usable bar width, and real tires and then get a weight. Otherwise this is less capable than some gravel bikes so I don't really understand it.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

dudemanppl wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:50 pm
Make one with a dropper, longer reach, slacker HTA, steeper STA, gears, actual usable bar width, and real tires and then get a weight. Otherwise this is less capable than some gravel bikes so I don't really understand it.
Go away you aren't cool. You wouldn't get it. :roll:

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Lol, this guy again.

Love an ornament. I made a full sus DH rig that came in at 5.7kg. Made of polystyrene but was really light.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

SebK5

by SebK5

xkcd wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:16 pm
Impressive built for sure from a technical standpoint.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but you don't plan to do any rides do you? Seems a bit pointless to ditch the ten speed cassette for a singlespeed if you want to go fast uphill.
The rear brake disc looks like you could flip the wheel from the picture :D
Actually the bike goes uphill fast . It's the straights that I lose speed because I can only pedal so fast . I can get up to maybe 20mph . Downhill I can't obivously pedal any faster . I actually like it more this way both functionally and visually....and of course weight wise . I still have gears I can always put on any time but for now this is the new setup .

SebK5

by SebK5

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:25 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
It's cool I expect haters . Already got a couple .

scant

by scant

SebK5 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
Seb. i've been watching your posts over the many weightweenie forums for several years now. I always admire the amount of effort that goes into your custom making & modifying your often times very expensive & hard to find parts. this is where I have to word carefully as to fully explain & definately not intend to insult or irritate. a lot of people who regularly ride normal xc offroad, at trail centres, on actual mountains, at bikeparks the world over, will look at your bike & think it simply wouldnt work for them, they;d need heavier/stronger parts just to keep the bike intact. some people might have even tried narrower/very light tyres, I did & on my local trails they easily ripped. I tried a smud carbon saddle & after 2hrs it was very uncomfortable, a lightweight cassette wore out in a month. my xc fs bike did a little under 11000miles last year. nothing broke, or wore out prematurely, but it weighs 21.4lb. that said I could ride it in moab, or down snowdon, or wellington bikepark, or bikepark wales. I would love a 17lb xc fs bike, but for my 148lb weight & the mainly XC rides I do, it simply wouldnt survive & would cost a fortune to run.

Dangerholm has had a lot of success posting lightweight bikes on many forums, purely as hes so honest to the limits of whats possible with his bike builds & occasionally has videos of him riding pretty hard on aforementioned bikes. I have no issue with people building the lightest possible bikes for exceptionally limited light trails use. its awesome to see. just accept that for most people they prefer to err on the edge of caution with a heavier bike that they know will survive

SebK5

by SebK5

scant wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 pm
SebK5 wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:23 pm
dudemanppl wrote:
Seb. i've been watching your posts over the many weightweenie forums for several years now. I always admire the amount of effort that goes into your custom making & modifying your often times very expensive & hard to find parts. this is where I have to word carefully as to fully explain & definately not intend to insult or irritate. a lot of people who regularly ride normal xc offroad, at trail centres, on actual mountains, at bikeparks the world over, will look at your bike & think it simply wouldnt work for them, they;d need heavier/stronger parts just to keep the bike intact. some people might have even tried narrower/very light tyres, I did & on my local trails they easily ripped. I tried a smud carbon saddle & after 2hrs it was very uncomfortable, a lightweight cassette wore out in a month. my xc fs bike did a little under 11000miles last year. nothing broke, or wore out prematurely, but it weighs 21.4lb. that said I could ride it in moab, or down snowdon, or wellington bikepark, or bikepark wales. I would love a 17lb xc fs bike, but for my 148lb weight & the mainly XC rides I do, it simply wouldnt survive & would cost a fortune to run.

Dangerholm has had a lot of success posting lightweight bikes on many forums, purely as hes so honest to the limits of whats possible with his bike builds & occasionally has videos of him riding pretty hard on aforementioned bikes. I have no issue with people building the lightest possible bikes for exceptionally limited light trails use. its awesome to see. just accept that for most people they prefer to err on the edge of caution with a heavier bike that they know will survive
Cheers dude . Means a lot and I'm glad you understand light bikes . Defo these bikes wouldn't last as long as my other bikes but they are fully rideable and can cope with the trails . I just wanted to push the boundaries and use the skills I learned over the years . I am also delving into Ebikes and have built 6 so far . One being a full on fat bike with custom mag wheels and a full titanium ebike (titanium frame, cranks, VP blade titanium pedals, YBN titanium chain, chainring, freewheel, bars, post etc . Maybe I can post my titanium Ebike but it weighs 10.6kg . Carbon would be lighter but I wanted to have at least one titanium bike .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com