A Bianchi XR4 - Is it the G.O.A.T.?

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RyanH

by RyanH

SLCBrandon has been trying to get me to get one of these ever since I told him I got the Wilier. As in:

Me: Hey, check out my new Wilier.
SLCBrandon: Cool, you should get an XR4, it's the best bike ever.

So, we'll see if how it pans out. Initial shakedown ride today was promising. Does anyone know if the Campy SRM needs special rings or will any 110 BCD 5 bolt ring work?

Current Weight: 6.696g
Target Weight: ????

I threw on some Pro Vibe bars since that's all I had lying around. Paired with the Zipp stem, talk about stupid stiff. I forgot how much better the bend in the drops is with these though even though they're aero as a brick.

TonyM

by TonyM

Which size it it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Size 53

It came with short Vision 5d bars so I swapped over the Sprint stem and STS cover. I think I'll need to keep the sprint stem since the drop is only about 10cm right now (I need to measure again when I'm not rushed).

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Your friend Brandon is right, the XR4 is the best race bike ever.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Click bait

tonytourist

by tonytourist

CarlK: ride report??

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@RyanH: re the SRM, the Campy rings for that SRM are indeed specific to the SRM. Whereas 4 of the 5 chainring bolts thread directly into the small ring, as they would on post 2011 chainrings, the 5th, which would normally thread into the crank arm on a non SRM crank, cannot do that. So that particular bolt is like the two piece male/female affair and in addition you pretty much have to fashion your own tool to keep the female portion from spinning while you torque the bolt down. I need to take one off a bike in the next few days so I can take a few pics to show you what I mean if you haven’t figured it out by then. I would imagine these rings might be getting hard to come by now as they were machined specifically for the fIrst generation Campy SRM powermeters.
I don’t know if there are any 3rd party rings that would work, but do yourself a solid and just go with the Campy rings, probably have to get them directly from SRM, and they won’t be cheap.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

@Cal, is the Campy SRM able to take your typical Campy 2011-2015 rings? Meaning that it's something like 110/112 BCD?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

No, the 2009-early 2010 rings had all five bolts of the two piece standard type of chainring bolts but that 5th one still threaded into the crank arm. The rings were revised in 2011 to eliminate the female part of the chainring bolt and they all threaded directly into the small ring, well except for the 5th which threads into the arm again. The compact rings were also stiffened up a bit. So, you really do need the specific rings for the SRM. The other thing is that there were two versions, one for compact rings (34/50) and one for standard rings (39/59). So, if your SRM is for std rings, that’s what you use and vice versa if it’s for compact. The mid compact rings weren’t even a thing yet. With 2015 onwards and the 4 bolt per ring (8 in total), the crank could accept all the standard combinations of chain rings (34/50, 36/52, 39/53).
But the key difference as to SRM compatibility is that the crank arm needs to be “free” and only attached to the powermeter spider, so no chain ring bolt can use it as an anchor. Thus the special machining and older style male female chainring bolt that is specific to that one hole behind the crank arm.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

RyanH

by RyanH

I checked the SRM just now and it looks like these Q rings are your standard fair. I see an odd shaped chainring bolt behind the arm as you mentioned. So, the SRM correct rings would be female threaded on the small ring on all 5 bolts? Otherwise, you have a bolt that goes behind the arm and then you have to figure out how to get it to stay put while tightening it sounds like (if you use regular rings).

Is that about right?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

4 are threaded directly into the small ring. The fifth is not, and there might be some extra machining on the bolt recess as well. Can’t remember exactly. Heading out now but can check closer when I have it off the bike this week if you like.

RyanH

by RyanH

So, this is what the back of my srm looks like. It looks like the hidden bolt sits slightly outside of the 110 bcd imaginary line.

Will these work?

https://specialites-ta.com/double/82-37 ... ure-48_dts

muffinman

by muffinman

ride report

KarlC

by KarlC

RyanH wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:04 pm

WOW thats got to be at the top of the RyanH builds bad A$$ bikes list, the looks pretty amazing.
tonytourist wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:45 pm
CarlK: ride report??
Yes ride report please.

C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rexyi1990

by rexyi1990

looks beautiful!