2014 Carbon Synapse 3 Ultegra -new guy here

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

DannyDigital

by DannyDigital

Hey whats up guys. My names Daniel, I'm 25 and I've been cycling for a little over a year. I'm still relatively new to the sport, but I've been obsessed with it ever since I started. I like modifying and creating new builds with different components just as much as or even more than actually riding the bike itself lol. Thats what drew me and kept me into cycling was all the customizing and modifying you can do in this sport to make your bike your own...its been taking up the majority of my income since ive started, but I'm totally OK with that. I started off with a 2013 Fuji Roubaix 1.5C and I essentially stripped the bike down to its frame and re-built it with new bits and pieces over a period of 1 year. After lurking around these forums for a few months i decided to pull the trigger on a new, carbon bike that ive been eyeing for awhile; a 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 Ultegra. Its brand new and ive only had it for about 2 weeks....I still need to get around to riding it more often, but I'm so scared that I'm going to break it or something which is most likely due to my lack of knowledge about carbon bikes...hopefully I'll get over that soon because the weathers getting better. Anyways, please tell me what you guys think and please let me know if you have any tips or advice or recommendations for a newish cyclist like myself. So far I've only got a few items swapped out, but i have big plans for it in the future, like I really want to get the bike to 16.5 lbs w/ pedals and the 1st upgrade on my list that i want is a Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 Chainset. Thanks in advance everyone.

Final weight:....kg./lb. 17 lbs on the dot w/o pedals

Frame-Cannondale Synapse Carbon non Hi-Mod
Fork-Cannondale Synapse Carbon non Hi-Mod
hanger-stock aluminum
Headset-Cannondale SI
seatpost clamp-uses a proprietary wedge system with no clamp
Seatpost-Cannondale C2 carbon 25.4 exposed, internal wedge instead of any seatpost clamp
Seat-Fizik ALIANTE DELTA, MG RAILS
Stem-Ritchey WCS 130mm carbon stem (I bought separately) 129 grams
Bar-Thompson 46cm Carbon Aero Drop Bars (I bought separately) 190 grams!
Bartape- Fizik 3mm White tape (I bought separately)
bottle cages and hardware-2 Chinese Carbon cages (I bought separately)
Outer Cables-stock
Inner Cables-stock
Brakes-Ultegra 6800
Front derailleur-Ultegra 6800
Rear derailleur-Ultegra 6800 (medium cage)
Crankset-FSA SL-K carbon
Bottom Bracket-BB30A FSA
Chainrings-FSA
Chainring bolts-stock
Chain--Ultegra 6800 11sp
Shifters-Ultegra 6800
Cassette- -Ultegra 6800 11-32
Wheels: Mavic Aksium
hubs-Mavic Aksium
Spokes-Mavis Aksium
Rims-Mavic Aksium
Inntertubes-Mavic Aksium stock
Tires-MAVIC WTS 700X25C
Pedals-Carbon 105
Polar/garmin/computer mounts- Garmin Edge 510 w/ handlebar front mount

Alright everyone thanks. Let me know what you guys think.
Attachments
aDVgw3A.jpg
daPmHH0.jpg
I3WOHwi.jpg
s86EfUf.jpg
z3oh3xY.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

efeballi

by efeballi

Welcome.
Don't be so afraid of carbon. If you don't drop/crash it every time and torque everything to spec, it should last a long time. Cannondale carbons are quite resistant to being bashed around, I hear.

I think you should start upgrading from the wheels&tires, instead of the crankset. Switching to GP4000S'es or Veloflexes will make a world of difference in ride quality. For the wheelset, you can buy handbuilts or factory wheelsets (Ultegra, Fulcrum Racing 3 etc.) and shave 300-400 grams.

Awesome bike, btw. Ride the hell out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

GT56

by GT56

first get rid of the dork disc

won't save a lot, but it is at no cost

DannyDigital

by DannyDigital

LOL will do GT56 I've been meaning to do that. I don't know exactly how to other than to cut as I don't know how to take off my cassette from the rear wheel. I'll figure something out. Thanks efeballi I plan on a lot of riding over the summer and the wheels are a top priority. I was thinking maybe Tokyo Wheels as they are 1500 grams and VERY cheap for carbon wheels, but I'm not really sure yet I need to do a lot of research before i get some carbon wheels....I just want to make sure that they can handle my weight.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

If you're going to be performing your own work, invest in a set of quality tools. You can buy parts piecemeal, or buy a kit. I went the kit route, and although there were things in there I have never used, I think it was a better deal for me, in the long run.

Once you buy your tools, removing the dork disc will take the whole of three minutes to figure out how to remove the cassette, remove the disc, and reinstalling it.

From there, go with high quality wheels. Ultegra wheels are great, albeit, a bit on the heavy side. Do some research and buy what fits in your budget. After that, start looking at other components.

russ1979

by russ1979

Hi,

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but ive been lurking for a while and just picked up my new Synapse. I was wondering what you got the weight down to in the end for this build ? Did you find out the frame/fork weight??

Thx

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

DannyDigital wrote:LOL will do GT56 I've been meaning to do that. I don't know exactly how to other than to cut as I don't know how to take off my cassette from the rear wheel. I'll figure something out. Thanks efeballi I plan on a lot of riding over the summer and the wheels are a top priority. I was thinking maybe Tokyo Wheels as they are 1500 grams and VERY cheap for carbon wheels, but I'm not really sure yet I need to do a lot of research before i get some carbon wheels....I just want to make sure that they can handle my weight.

I bought a used 2014 synapse that already had Chinese carbon wheels on it and they have worked out great for me. Our roads are terrible and i am a bigger guy and have had no issues. The only advise i would give is to make sure that all of the spokes are tensioned correctly. Mine were way off, but since i fixed them I have had no issues.

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

Here is a pick of mine if you care to see what it looks like.

russ1979

by russ1979

Hi, don't seem to be able to see the pic ! I'll get some of mine up after the weekend when I've swapped a few bits out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

russ1979

by russ1979

That's sick, I was going to go for the black one ! But I've already got a black canyon! Any idea of the weight ?

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

russ1979 wrote:That's sick, I was going to go for the black one ! But I've already got a black canyon! Any idea of the weight ?

@russ1979 Thank you. I don't know the weight. I need to get it to the bike shop and see where i am at. I'll post more pics and pics of my Crux in a different thread once i get weights on both.

locktopus

by locktopus

Here you go. Looks sick!

zzmkdw

by zzmkdw

@locktopus - Thank you and Thank you!

russ1979

by russ1979

I'm torn now, do I swap my one for the black one ??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com