Sun and Steel.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

I'm a long time lurker here, as Weight Weenies has the most real content on cycling tech of any of the various cycling fora. I will probably mostly remain a lurker as I doubt I'd have much to contribute as I am just a car-free commuter and utility cyclist rather than a racer. Even so, I have learned the value of strong and lightweight components in my 6 days/week in the saddle.

This is my all-purpose ride (which began its life as a run-of-the-mill complete bike from Surly):

Steamroller 56m, frame and fork
Custom wheelset: Pacenti PL23 650B rims, DT-14 spokes, Miche Primato Pista hubs, Campy lockring
Grand Bois Hetre Extra Leger tires, 42mm
Nitto B125AA handlebars, 350mm
Dura-Ace non-aero brake lever
Tekro 559 front caliper (not many options for super-long reach, may change to IRD)
Dura-Ace 7710 crankset and BB
Blackspire Track chainring and EAI Deluxe cog
Time ROC ATAC Carbon pedals
Thomson Elite Seatpost
Fizik Arione CX Carbon Kium saddle
Revelate frame bag
Carradice SQR Tour saddle bag (not shown)
Burley Travoy trailer (not shown)

I'm beginning a new build, a weight-weenied Rando-style commuter (as far as one's wallet allows), but so far I only have one component:

Seemed time for the introduction. I'll be around. :beerchug:

Best regards,

Carlos
Last edited by Cat6TT on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It’s important to understand the ‘aggregation of marginal gains.’" -- David Brailsford

“If you’re a cyclist, you need to have the upper body of a 12-year-old girl and the lower body of a power lifter.” -- Peter Park

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Love it. Welcome! The anti Tour de France steed, but equally nicely set up for its purpose.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

Calnago wrote:Love it. Welcome! The anti Tour de France steed, but equally nicely set up for its purpose.

Thank you.

I think mine is perhaps Tour de France 1903 (if I remove the frame bag):

“It’s important to understand the ‘aggregation of marginal gains.’" -- David Brailsford

“If you’re a cyclist, you need to have the upper body of a 12-year-old girl and the lower body of a power lifter.” -- Peter Park

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

:welcome: awesome start with the Dura-Ace headset! What's the plan overall?? Nice looking Surly....it fits right in as most of us are fashion weenies as much as we are weight weenies. :cheers:

Cat6TT

by Cat6TT

btompkins0112 wrote::welcome: awesome start with the Dura-Ace headset! What's the plan overall?? Nice looking Surly....it fits right in as most of us are fashion weenies as much as we are weight weenies. :cheers:

Thanks!

The plan:

Velo-Orange Polyvalent 57cm frame (next purchase)
Dura-Ace 7710 crank and BB (again) but with DA chainring to save weight (and for the look)
Nitto Pro stem and probably the deeper dropped B123AA handlebars due to the Polyvalent geometry
Nitto M12 front rack
For the handlebar bag I want something lighter than what the Rando guys use, so probably something custom made of sailcloth like Dimension Polyant
Thomson Masterpiece seatpost (hopefully I'll have finished losing weight by the time the build is complete)
Arione CX or similar, carbon shell of course
A short-pull v-brake (still need to reseach)
Honjo aluminum fenders
LED headlight (still need to research)
Son 28 Deluxe front hub (heavy, ouch)
Phil Wood rear track hub, low flange
Pacenti PL23 rims
Hutchinson 32mm or Pacenti Pari-Moto 38mm tires

The inspiration for this build is the Technical Trials bikes from the '50s, like this Alex Singer:

These were anywhere from 15 to 20 pounds fully kitted, fenders and lights included. I'd love to build something like this at 15 pounds, but that would need a custom frame with lighter tubing. Maybe I'll inherit a fortune from a mysterious relative one day. :wink: