Weenie Wannabe's Cannondale F-2000 Volvo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

davestradamus

by davestradamus

Hello everyone! I am no stranger to the saddle of a bicycle and have been building my own rides for years now. Just recently I have had the desire to build a lightweight mountain bike after my 21lb Trek 8500 was stolen last season. With this Cannondale I would like to get into the sub 20 club!

As pictured the Canny weighs 24lbs.

This is how the bike was delivered to me. I only replaced the rusty saddle and ridded it of some nasty high riser handlebars.

I am hoping to shed 4+ lbs with a carbon handlebar, seatpoast and lightweight saddle. Also with the help of an XT hollowtech crankset and I am thinking of relacing my wheels with tubeless rims to shed some weight there. If I have to, I will go 1x9 if I am far off.

I know she is a bit porky.... Am I on the right track?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

michel2

by michel2

Do i see coda disc brakes ?(;
I worked at a cdale dealer when that baby got released (; the bike must be next to new if it still runs thise brakes, they werent real great, or reliable (;
What tyres are on the bike ?
They were nice bikes, deffintly on a great track there !(;

davestradamus

by davestradamus

michel2 wrote:Do i see coda disc brakes ?(;
I worked at a cdale dealer when that baby got released (; the bike must be next to new if it still runs thise brakes, they werent real great, or reliable (;
What tyres are on the bike ?
They were nice bikes, deffintly on a great track there !(;

Good eye! The bike was ridden quite a few miles from the looks of it up close. The Coda brakes are in decent shape but will be bled when my local C'dale dealer rebuilds the Lefty for me this week and I have spare pads for them also. They might be replaced with white Juicys cause they are way.... Juicier and they actually stop.

The front tire is an IRC 1.95 kevlar variety and the rear is a cheapo wirebead tire. I am thinking of a pair of Rocket Rons so I can go tubeless if I want later.

If I can get this thing sub20 I will be ecstatic!

Thanks for the love!

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Whatever you do, don't let go of the frame. Would love to see a build with that frame and more modern components. Wheels and tyres will make a huge difference.
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

davestradamus

by davestradamus

Kastrup wrote:Whatever you do, don't let go of the frame. Would love to see a build with that frame and more modern components. Wheels and tyres will make a huge difference.

Never! This is a great frame that fits me well. Plus, I was born on the 4th of July, and I am a Volvo guy... so its FATE!

I am picking up a wheelset today that will save me .5lbs and get me into tubeless! (for $120 i might add) 1550gr. 8)

I am on a tight budget. So after wheels, a cockpit and saddle combo is in order. Next will come a crankset.

Cheers!
:beerchug:

CBJ

by CBJ

I was so close to buying that bike when it came out. I would not put any money or time into the brakes except the time it would take to remove them. You can find some many better brakes use for no money that would greatly improve the ride and look better too. Anyway great find and fun bike to ride too.

kgt

by kgt

Really lovely frame. Something to invest in.

bikericer

by bikericer

Personally I would throw on Shimano SLX, XT, or XTR brakes instead of the Juicys. I am the main hydraulic and fork guy at my shop and they are much more reliable and easier to work on than anything avid. If you have Juicys run them, but if you're buying I would go Shimano.

spOOn1965

by spOOn1965

What a fine classic frame !
Looking forward to following the upgrade.
Remember to keep the good style, regarding the new lighter components. (Please, no cheap asian copy-stuff)
-Will Race for food..

davestradamus

by davestradamus

Hopefully I will be picking her up from my local C'Dale dealer with a rebuilt fork and refreshed Coda Expert (they suck) brakes! My AD says the brakes are in good condition, so I figure I can focus on other areas for now (cockpit, crankset, wheels).

I am in love with this bike!

You may even see an upgrade to the fork, as I hear newer Lefty PBR internals might swap into my LDR.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilson78

by wilson78

Very nice start point, am a big fan of the classic 'Dale, they just look right to my eyes - in a similar way to classic Klein's.

Will watch this with interest, not least because I have a 2004 SoBe 'Dale that I am contemplating doing something similar to... :twisted:

Reckon you should be able to get it sub 20lb with the right components, keep the thread updated!
My Titanium Lemond (RIP):
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=84352" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Trek:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=109635