Exxon Graftek Build, Carbon Fiber from 1977. (Update, Build Complete with Pics)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Hello All,

I've long been fascinated by older carbon fiber bikes, mostly the carbon tube and metal lug variety, and the Exxon Graftek was really one of the first on the market having been sold from the mid to late 70's which makes it all the more cool. My particular frame is from 1977 and features stainless steel lugs/drops, carbon/aluminum tubes, and a steel fork.

According to what I've read these frames built up pretty light for their time and I'm hoping to build this one up with period-ish correct parts. While many of these frames were originally delivered with Campy groupsets, I've also seen them with Shimano and Suntour groups. I've decided to build this frame with first generation Shimano Dura-Ace components. In '77/'78 Shimano offered Dura-Ace components in a black finish which look awesome and I think pretty futuristic for their time so will fit the frame's character perfectly.

Here's the current parts list with weights.

I'm waiting on some parts to build the wheels and on a bottom bracket from the UK. I have also hit the classic Graftek roadblock... the seat post. Grafteks used 23.8mm seat posts which are nearly unobtanium these days. *Update, I have aquired a 24mm seatpost and its been machined down to 23.8mm.

I'll update this post as I acquire more parts and start assembly.

Last edited by HumanReason on Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

Oh wow! That is an awesome frame, and it looks like it will build up really nicely :thumbup:

I keep on meaning to get back to my own vintage lightweight project, no doubt this thread will give some renewed motivation.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

I haven't found a set of bars and stem yet. I'm thinking a nice 3ttt Competizione set would look good and match the timeframe.

Saddle will be more modern because I don't like riding vintage saddles. I'm thinking the Brooks Cambium in black.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Awesome, have been restauring an older steed, only a couple of years older than yours also with a complete "Black Series" Dura-ace. Which rims were you able to source btw??

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Raimundo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:49 pm
Awesome, have been restauring an older steed, only a couple of years older than yours also with a complete "Black Series" Dura-ace. Which rims were you able to source btw??
I'm using Velocity A23 rims in a high polish finish. I considered using older Mavic rims but I think the A23's will look great and also have the benefit of an actual machined brake track.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Yeah, they look proper old-school, will not look out of place. I went with period correct NOS Mavic rims only on the basis that i wouldn't ride that bike more than 80 or 90km per year...

Are you still missing parts btw??

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Crap, just re-read your first post on this thread... you're still looking for parts...

If you're in Europe, Heinz from https://velo-classic.de/oxid2/ will have that seatpost size you're after.

It might be worth to shoot him an email...

JKolmo

by JKolmo

Wow! Cool!

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Raimundo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm
If you're in Europe, Heinz from https://velo-classic.de/oxid2/ will have that seatpost size you're after.

It might be worth to shoot him an email...
I'm in the US but any lead on a post is worth following up for me. I'll send an email over there and see what comes of it.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Small Update.

I've chosen to go the route of having a 24mm seat post I found turned down to 23.8mm. The post is on its way to me for some measuring and then off to be machined.

New parts:

Bar tape: Cloth Newbaums in black. I used this tape in purple on my Allez Epic build and have really liked it so I'll use it here as well. I think I'm also gonna use it on my Colnago Master build as well once I get some new bars for that one. Current weight is 63g, that’s still in the roll with the tub in it so once I actually wrap the bars I'll take the weight of the excess and subtract it from the 63g to find the true weight on the bike.

Pedals: I'll catch some flak for this, but I've chosen Crankbrothers Eggbeater 1's. I like to ride all my bikes and because of that I always use modern saddles and pedals on them all for the sake of comfort and making the ride more enjoyable. The 1's are heavy at 287g but they have a brighter finish to them than the higher end models and they have black accents which will pair nicely with the bike itself.

Geoff

by Geoff

Ok, that's nice. Great find.

HumanReason

by HumanReason

Overhauled the hubs last night, they're turning beautifully now. Found a NOS Dura-Ace freewheel which just arrived and has been added to the weights list in the main post.

The 24mm seat post arrived, I took some measurements on it and now its in the mail to be turned down. Hopefully that all goes well. Only major parts I'm still missing are a stem and handlebars. I've got my eye on some models from 3ttt, just haven't found the right ones availble at the right price.

golfsierra

by golfsierra

Amazing, the frame, the components, all of it

Really impressive to see it all in such good condition

dolophonic

by dolophonic

Nice... :up: :thumbup:

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Interesting frame. Not sure how safe it is actually to ride if this is the truth from other forum. :unbelievable: Atleast really nice collection item.

"What a trip down memory lane !!!!! I worked for Exxon in that division at the time and had one of the ill fated frames. They were derisively known as Graphflex's. Imagine trying to ride a frame with the stiffness of wet
spaghetti. Yes, the failure rate between the tube and the joint was about 100%. The root cause was that the carbon tube and the dissimilar lug formed a weak battery of sorts. The science crowd calls it galvanic corrosion. The
thing was so flexy I couldn't tell much difference though when a lug joint failed.Thanks for the pictures."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com