Colnago C59 - TSRD -- New pics on page 6 - 6.79 Kg

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

pje0713

by pje0713

Once the superleggero stem gets in I'll update with new pics for sure. Not sure when that will be but hopefully soon.

Thinking of also swapping for a deda superzero seatpost in black, and changing the headset to black as well, just to go all black above the top tube. Hopefully it looks good.

I'll be swapping bottle cage bolts for lighter ones and having the fork cut (I've dropped the stem about 2cm since these pics and it feels pretty good, so that position may be its final resting place).

I'll estimate conservatively that the new stem will save me 20g or so, the new seatpost about 20g, the bottle cage bolts about 5g, and the cut fork and spacer stack at least 5g. That should leave the build around 15 lb, 5 oz. I'd be happy with that as it's not meant to be a super lightweight build (I know, that's sacrilege!).
Last edited by pje0713 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pje0713

by pje0713

Took a quick shot of the C59 as it sits now (pre-changes mentioned above) with my Prestige in the garage. Ignore the black giant stem (again, sacrilege, i know) it's just a placeholder to get the length right. 110 seems right.

veganeric

by veganeric

Normally I'd scoff at relegating bikes that beautiful to the garage, but yours appears to be worthy. Everything about that picture makes me envious. :thumbup:

pje0713

by pje0713

Luckily the garage is heated or I wouldn't do it. Something about leaving the bikes out in the cold wouldn't work. Although try telling my wife that.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Nice bikes, nice garage. Not liking the lever bar setup as is... I think the levers are too high on the bars and the bars are turned too upwards. Lowering the levers on the bars and turning the bars down imo would give 3 better overall positions for your riding. As it is, everything keeps rising from the stem to the stars, at least that's how it looks. But that's my personal preference, your's looks to be different. Lovely C59 though.

What I'm really more interested in is the Prestige. I've yet to see a thread featuring one of these by itself. Can you tell us more about it? Do you race it? How do you like the disks over cantis? I'm still not sold on disks for racing cross at this point but I know theres another thread on that so don't muddle this one up. Clearly Colnago is pushing the disk thing, and you can't even get a new prestige with cantis, yet this year at least their pros have still been on prestiges equipped with cantis. I don't actually race cross, but I love the bikes, and I'm relegated to all the cleaning and wrenching. Maybe that's why I don't do it lol.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

pje0713

by pje0713

I don't want to make this thread all about the Prestige, but happy to fill you in. The initial reason I went disc brake was because it's all they offered, but I like the idea of discs on a cross bike as long as I'm not shouldering it. The added weight is significant and a downer. As I recall, the bike's total weight is between 19 and 20 pounds, but I've made no effort to upgrade or tune it from a stock ultegra build straight from colnago except to upgrade wheels (using stan's crest rims and running Racing Ralphs tubeless with Chris King disc hubs).

However, as I'm not a serious cross racer, I'm not shouldering it that much and it doesn't bother me that much. I wanted to be able to do a few of the local amateur cross races each year but mostly for fun as I've said I'm not serious into cross but some of my friends love it and I like to be able to tag along. Most of its use will be non-racing. That is, in the filth but on the roads or mixed road/gravel/grass/mud. I live outside Chicago and wanted something I could ride in inclement conditions (which is like 4-6 months of the year) and mixed surfaces worry-free. I use it often on local trails and it's been a ton more fun than a mountain bike although I'm a bit more constrained over where I can go.

Re: discs: The advantages of discs in wet and snowy conditions seem obvious to me from mountain bikes, but I don't want to get into that too much here. Suffice to say, they were fine for my purposes. I don't notice a huge braking advantage over rim brakes, but IMO the ability to control braking intensity is improved. Note these aren't hydraulic. IMO I get why there's some hesitation about going full disc based on reports about braking failures when mud didn't clear, etc... in racing conditions. But, for me, I had a lot of comfort with discs in a lot of conditions coming from riding mountain bikes in earlier years that were disk equipped (not professionally, but often and off-road). So I actually like the thought of the discs in the conditions I often have to deal with.

pje0713

by pje0713

btw calnago, love your bikes, both of them. amazing.

re: the lever and bar position, I do agree my bars need to be turned a bit down after looking again at the pics, but probably not a ton to be right for me. however, I do like the levers up higher than you set them up (or appear to) based on your C59 build. it's just a cozy spot I've found that feels good. but that's the beauty of bikes, to each their own right?

pje0713

by pje0713

Quick pic/update. Still waiting on the superleggero stem. The Giant placeholder stem is a little short at 110 so going for 120 with the Deda. This pic has the superzero post, and since the last pic I've added a deda dog fang chain catcher and switched out the k-edge garmin mount for a sram garmin mount painted black to cover the logo.

pje0713

by pje0713

btw, the prestige in the pic above was 19lb, 10oz. I swapped the white carbon colnago post from the C59 over to the prestige (replacing a white aluminum one weighing 290g), swapped on a deda zero100 servizio corse stem, deda presa carbon bars (replacing aluminum colnago HB02), and a selle italia slr titanium saddle (replacing a superheavy Colnago branded selle italia XC) and new weight is 18 lb, 12 oz. Much more reasonable. Still plan to swap the current crank brothers pedals for the titanium versions, shaving another 100g. Once I get that done I'll post final pics and weights in its own thread. Here's one shot from today.

giant man

by giant man

nice C59 build, interesting to see how you get on with the ENVE SES wheels, identical wheelbuild to what I had in mind, nice

corky

by corky

pje0713 wrote:Once the superleggero stem gets in I'll update with new pics for sure. Not sure when that will be but hopefully soon.

Thinking of also swapping for a deda superzero seatpost in black, and changing the headset to black as well, just to go all black above the top tube. Hopefully it looks good.

I'll be swapping bottle cage bolts for lighter ones and having the fork cut (I've dropped the stem about 2cm since these pics and it feels pretty good, so that position may be its final resting place).

I'll estimate conservatively that the new stem will save me 20g or so, the new seatpost about 20g, the bottle cage bolts about 5g, and the cut fork and spacer stack at least 5g. That should leave the build around 15 lb, 5 oz. I'd be happy with that as it's not meant to be a super lightweight build (I know, that's sacrilege!).

your 'placeholder' will have to stay in place until june according to the Wiggle site....... i've had enough and am going to look elsewhere for a new stem.

pje0713

by pje0713

Yeah the wait is getting long. I'm just putting a zero100 servizio corse on this as well. Hopefully this week.

pje0713

by pje0713

giant man wrote:nice C59 build, interesting to see how you get on with the ENVE SES wheels, identical wheelbuild to what I had in mind, nice

I put about 100 miles on them this weekend. So far so good. Hit a few big holes and ran over some glass even and the ultremos held up as well. They were better in cross winds than I expected. Coming from ksyrium sls wheelset the braking a slower but that's expected. We'll see how they hold up over the long haul. So far I'm happy with the weight, feel, and stability in wind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

giant man

by giant man

thanks and good luck with them pje0713