Allez! Allez! 2013 E5 Smartweld

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Imaking20

by Imaking20

This has now appeared a couple places on the boards so I might as well make a thread for it.

Racing will take a major turn for me next season and I ride on as many questionable surfaces as I do smooth surfaces. For those reasons, and a host of others, I decided it was time to bid farewell to the Wilier and get something to beat on. The new Allez has interested me since it was first announced and I was able to find one at a local shop.

Frame (54cm) 1223g w/ RD hanger and cage bolts
Fork (est.) 390g
Headset 90g
Exogram 609g
BB 80g
Shifters & cables 314g
X-Dome 11-26 153g
Aerolink Brakeset w/pads 253g
YAW FD w/catcher 82g
RED RD 148g
Specialzed Post 10,000 lb (est.)
3T Arx Stealth (120mm) 125g
3T Ergonova Team (42cm) 204g
Selle SMP Forma 238g
Planet X Skewers 45g
Bar tape 60g
SRAM 1091R chain 245g
Aeolus D3 1604g
Veloflex (2) 400g
Keo Blade carbon/Ti 180g
Cables 85g
Conti. tubes (2) 160g
Garmin Sensor 30g
K-Edge mount 35g

Pending:
SRAM RED Quarq
Lighter post
Arundel Mandible

Total current weight 7100g (not yet verified)
Verified weight w/ MCCU 14 lb 14 oz.

I'll probably get the bike down just above 15 lb and call it good. I'm pretty pleased with that weight given it's a no-nonsense build that I can do a 100+ miles on without issue. I could swap back to my 90g Toupe, Praxis rings, and Planet X brakes for 260g savings but this all works SO WELL!

Schedule is pretty hectic at the moment so haven't had a change for better photos yet. Should have some in the coming weeks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

duke249

by duke249

The Allez is an excellent race/crit frameset. The value on this frameset is hard to beat.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm sure it will. The handling is very sharp... but in the ~200 miles I've put on it so far, when "marching" up steep grades, this thing feels like a trampoline compared to the Wilier I've been riding.

gravity

by gravity

what do you mean trampoline? it flexes a lot?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I am guesses it bounces

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I felt quite a bit of deflection on my first couple of rides with climbing. I will be sure to share my opinion once I've spent some time on other wheels/wheels though. I was running my H+ Sons with 90psi on 25mm tires so that may have been the culprit.

Regardless, that's not going to be what wins or loses the race

rule5

by rule5

Looks great man! I am in a similar position for next year, my team will be Specialized and I'm looking at one of these as a crit bike. How tall are you/inseam,I think I am right between a 54 and 56 and I was wondering if you could list some of your measurements, saddle height, reach, etc. I know fit is subjective and different for everyone, but it might help me make a decision. Thanks.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I'm 1/4" shy of 6 ft tall. My inseam is 32-33" I can't recall atm. I'm pretty proportional though.

Saddle height 75cm
Stack 55cm (I may have it a little lower right now as I'm toying with things)
Reach is currently 56cm with the SMP
11cm drop to hoods

I opted for 54 instead of 56 because the latter has way more headtube that I'd like. I've also grown to really like a longer stem and the Allez/SL4 have a longer TT which would put me on a 100mm stem on the 56cm frame.

On another note; do many people actually have a dedicated crit bike in addition to another race bike? You hear it tossed around a lot but personally, I want to be intimately familiar with a bike I'm pushing hard so I know how it reacts. That means riding it A LOT!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

POWER!!!

power! by W Isaac King, on Flickr

rule5

by rule5

Thanks for the measurements and info on the frame size. I think we are almost the exact same size, and as I was leaning toward the 54 anyway, this settles it! And realistically mine will become my full on, everyday, training, race, ride hard and not think twice about it bike, but calling it a crit. bike makes it that much easier to justify buying another bike, which isn't hard to do. Did you just paint those chainrings black? It looks nice. Any further repost on the stiffness of the bike with different wheels?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

You're quite welcome!

I did paint the chainrings. This is the second set actually. With some careful tape work it actually holds up pretty well. I have at least 500-600 miles on my other rings, including one outside chain drop, and they still look great.

I'm getting along better with the bike all the time. Unfortunately, I've been traveling a lot this past week so I haven't really flogged the wheels yet. However, I'll say the sensations so far are definitely improved. This thing definitely isn't a 13.5 lb Italian thoroughbred, but it gets the job done. I should have some good feedback after a team camp this weekend :)

53x12

by 53x12

Imaking20 wrote:I did paint the chainrings. This is the second set actually. With some careful tape work it actually holds up pretty well. I have at least 500-600 miles on my other rings, including one outside chain drop, and they still look great.

Could you share what type of paint you used. Was it just regular spray paint in a can? I want to do something similar to a set I have, just not sure if I want to paint or powder coat them.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I just used regular old gloss spray paint. Just be mindful of where your tape edge is so the chain isn't hitting the paint - which will likely cause chipping sooner.

53x12

by 53x12

Cool. Did you do two coats?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

I don't remember exactly but it was at least 6 coats. I just kept adding until it looked right and/or I got bored.