2013 Parlee Z5 Sli

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

I think the Tall option looks great. Certainly doesn't look much different overall than it does on my M/L size frame. These Z5 just look vaguely classic and classy in my opinion.
2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (just because)
2014 Colnago C59 (why not)

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I agree. Bikes this tall usually look quite awkward, but the z5's look very balanced and elegant.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gbranden

by gbranden

Starting to look very nice!!
want to see it ready.

Arc

by Arc

Got a few cool items on sale, that's going to be added to this build.
I am still waiting for the cups, but they should only a few days away now, so many I can start building in the weekend.

First item I got, really cheap, is a 2011 Super record crankset. Current bike is running compact chorus crankset, but wanted a 53/39 instead. So when found this SR crankset at half price, it was a easy decision :)

Then I found this TRP brake set at good price. The brake weight is including bolts and enve pads.

TRP R970 SL Front

TRP R970 SL Rear

Last item is a new saddle, also found on sale. I got the same saddle (ti) on old bike and love it, but wanted the carbon rail version for this build. Unfortunately Prologo's weight claim (155g) was far from the truth, it is actually not much lighter than my current one (200g). Lucky it was cheap, otherwise I would have felt cheated.

Prologo Nago Evo Nack

Arc

by Arc

Cups finally arrived and I got them installed today. So hopefully I can get the build up done this weekend.

Weight of cups + pin and wavewasher

Parlee cups are quite abit deeper than normal UT cups

Cups installed

Arc

by Arc

Picture of latest progress.

Did encounter quite a few problems putting it together, most of them related to the powercordz cabels.
Also found out that I have a problem with the front derailleur and mounting the second bottle cage.
The clip-on front derailleur is simply to thick. So I have ordered a brace-on instead so I can use Parlee's mount.

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Looks great so far! What size is this one again XL Tall? The bottle cage can't mount because of the Campy front derailleur? If you weren't going to run EPS or Di2, why bother buying the SLi frame?

Arc

by Arc

Yes this is XL tall. Parlee only makes the Z5 as internal now. I tried to get the 2012 Z5 sl, but it was sold out in my size.

The second bottlecage mounts quite low, so it is actually placed on top of the front derail brace.

skywalker268

by skywalker268

Gorgeous bike!

If I were you, I'd keep the standard clamp on FD and just put some spacers in between the bottle cage and the frame. The parlee clamp in my experience is very tricky to get set up and a bit flexy.

Arc

by Arc

Right, finally done with the build and did my first ride today. Need to do some adjustment on the derailleurs but when I was in a gear proper adjusted, it was like riding a dream. If the bike is just this good or its because of the fact that I been riding a 10kg winter cross bike with fenders for the past 6 months I dunno :)

Weight as it stands on this picture is 7,16 kg.
I put my Spinergy wheels on it, due to the fact that we still have snow, salt and sand on the roads here. I don't really think the spinergy wheels match the bike very well, but I don't want to ride my Enve wheels in these conditions.
Weight with Enve wheels should be around 6,87 kg, which I'm very happy about, considering the size of the bike :)

carlislegeorge

by carlislegeorge

Arc wrote:.... when I was in a gear proper adjusted, it was like riding a dream. If the bike is just this good ....

welcome to the subtle magic that this machine is....

the only thing looks bad about those wheels is the white spokes, otherwise it just looks like it is meant to be ridden.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

gotta have gorilla arms to reach those bottles... Nice rig as well. Very clean.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Use washers on your rear cage.. The campag clamp on will shift 1000 times better than a braise on mech using the parlee clamp.. The parlee clamps while very nice looking are not very stiff
I use fiber washers that are very light about 2mm worth on the top bolt and around 2.5mm on the bottem..

Arc

by Arc

Original post update with a few new pictures of the bike with the Enve wheels mounted.
It is an amazing ride.

I did go with Parlee's FD clamp and I have very smooth shifting (which is even more impressing considering using full length housing).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dem

by dem

Hey Arc, nice ride.

I'm trying to decide between the "tall" headtube and the regular on a Z5SLi - can I ask how much spacer is above the headset on your bike? and how tall do you have the seat set? (from top of seat to center of bottom bracket?)

Yours looks like enough drop for me, but maybe you're a lot taller. :)

Thanks.