TIME RXR VIP

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

After a long 4.5mth wait during which I was roadless (sold my Dogma FPX), I finally received the time! During this time I also received word from my lovely wife that there was a bun in the oven and that we could expect another weightweenie sometime during October.... Yeah yeah, I know that time couldn't be any worse given that I had already ordered the bike and could not cancel it but that was the least of my worries....at least for now! :wink: The bike basically underwent a transplant, all the components from the Dogma went straight onto the Time w/ very little difficulty.

FRAME: TIME RXR VIP - Size XS (53.5 TT)

The quality of the finish is top notch. The only MAJOR disappointment; the TIME bottlecage included with the frame basically used a set of two poorly placed silver TIME decals over the already embedded RED logo's, therefore NO TIME bottlecage. I figured from a aesthetics standpoint, the Elite cage from my DOGMA would be a better fit. ERGO handlebars will need some getting used to....the transition onto the hoods are top notch but the overall shape and the weight is a respectable 230gr.

DRIVETRAIN: SHIMANO DI2 7970 w/ THM Clavicula Compact Crankset

I never had any issue with my DI2 on my FPX and figured that it would be no different on the time. The larger Q factor in the THM is something that needs some time getting accustomed to given my TT bike (Cannondale Slice Carbon) w/ the SISL crank is PERFECT. Mating DI2 to a set of Stronglight CT2 Chainrings is not as perfect as mating it to a 7970 crank but no complaints there! The only issue I faced here was the bottle cage bolts on the seatube are mounted so low that the battery interferes with any attempt to mount a cage there, hence NO SECOND BOTTLECAGE.... I may opt for something behind the saddle for the long 200km trips over the summer.

BRAKES: Ciamillo Gravitas

My 4yr old Zero Gravity brakes are in serious need of a major overhaul and will be sent back to Ted at Ciamillo for a small tune up. In the meantime, I opted for a set of Gravitas brakes w/ Nokon wires as the stock Shimano outers were too stiff for the rear such that it caused the caliper to fall out of alignment. I'll need some time to review these vs the ZG given I really havent had much time in the saddle due to some horrible weekend weather.

SADDLE: Fizik K-1

I was always intrigued by how this saddle would be.... I managed to pick up a "close to" new saddle for a cheap price.....if all fails to work out, I'll revert back to the Selle Italia SLR Carbonio Flow.

WHEELS: LIGHTWEIGHT G3

THIS IS WHERE I FEEL THE BIKE REALLY SHINES! As I had the TIME on order, I had a chance to ride my friends VXRS w/ FULCRUM Racing Zero Clinchers. Must of been me but at the time, his bike felt a bit soft for my needs and really started to question myself on whether I mad the right choice in buying the RXR. THE LW's on the time are light night and day....Crisp and responsive!

OVERALL: The bike came in at 5.96kg and was lighter than what I forecasted. I had a chance to ride a flat 50km loop and this is what I could come up with. The geometry is probably the best I've experienced! Unlike the Dogma where I had felt a bit stretched out (same TT length), that feeling on the RXR was nonexistent and may have to do with the shorter reach on the ERGO vs my old ZIPP SL2's..... I may opt to swap the stem out for a 110mm 17/73 Ritchey WCS 4-Axis in the future just to test out a longer stem length. Due to the weight, the bike sprints from any speed and though it is noticeably less stiffer than the FPX, thats really not a problem for me.... The frame is hardly quiet and does a fair bit of transferring road noise but then again, thats not a major thing for me and if anything, I would prefer to feel the road w/o having it take any toll on my body.

The bike tends to understeer vs the FPX so this will take some getting use to...This is where Pinarello gets the :thumbup: for making one of the best forks I have ever ridden! As per mentioned above, I'll need some time to see how the brakes work with the frame! More pictures will follow but I'll need a sunny day for that! :D

Well there you go, BUY WITH CONFIDENCE!
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MARLON

by MARLON

wow
BACK IN BLACK

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Wow, that's 3 RXR's in two days.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

If it doesn't rain on here eh....

Another stunner! April's already a strong contender for best Intro month, so many beauties. And top review. Would love to hear your thoughts come the end of summer - which even with the new bub (congrats btw :beerchug: ) you'll hopefully have quite a few kms :)

tonytourist

by tonytourist

:shock:
That bike is hot :wink:

range
Shop Owner

by range

Wow, almost my ideal setup. RXR in VIP, Di2, and LWs. Photos don't do the RXR VIP justice. There is so much going on in that paint job. From afar it looks just black, but when you get closer, you see all of the details.

About the Di2, is it external wiring or did you hack it into internal wiring? From what I know, RXRs aren't yet available with fully Di2 compatible internal wiring.

Cheers & nice bike!
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

timintense

by timintense

Stealthy super bike :thumbup:
My bikes:-
- 2014 Lapierre Zesty AM 727-11.9kg
- 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 - 7.1kg

Carbon - Lightens your bike and your wallet
OCBD - Obsessive Compulsive Biking Disorder

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Thanks for the compliments so far! Its strange that I chose this frame given that I've never been a fan of all black bikes. This is the reason why my last bike (the Dogma) was specially colored in dedication to Fassa Bortolo with the majority of the frame colored white with Fassa blue swirls. its comforting to know that a good friend of mine now rides it and will be kept in as pristine condition as I tried to keep it.

As far as fiddling with internalizing Di2, the thought had crossed my mind but with the already limited time I have to ride this beauty, I'd rather ride her every second I have to spare over spending uncountable number of hrs trying to internalize the cables and battery.

Range, your absolutely correct when you said that one needs to be up close and in person to see the details on the bike. Though it does appear a glossy black from afar, it simply a darker clearcoat over a 1k CF weave trhoughout the bike with a fine "rainbow-like" glitter for the TIME logos on the toptube, seatube and downtube. This is the reason why I had mentioned the need for "better weather" to shoot additional photo's.

Finally, allow me to apologize should there be any grammatical screwups as I'm trying to type this all out on my blackberry and in microscopic fonts!
Last edited by jimaizumi on Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

micky

by micky

Sweet

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Full range of shots and all shall be forgiven :wink:

rascel

by rascel

seriously awesome! :shock:
Light-Bikes - news for weightweenies

Discoverspeed

by Discoverspeed

Excellent! I have seen this frame in the flesh and it more beautiful than any photo can capture primarily because of the silvery but understated decals. And yes excellent job for typing out your responses on Blackberry. :D
Current Bikes: S-Works Venge 7.3kg
Storck F.3 5.5kg
Colnago Concept Art Deco CHDK 7/6.5kg
Collection: Team Ti Raleigh 753 Vintage Campy
Ex: Storck F0.6 Di2 6kg, Storck F0.7IS Di2 4.8kg, Storck Aero2 7.04kg Storck Organic Light 11.1kg

fogman

by fogman

jimaizumi wrote:..... I may opt to swap the stem out for a 110mm 17/73 Ritchey WCS 4-Axis in the future just to test out a longer stem length.

Nice looking bike. What size (length) and rise angle stem is on your bike right now?
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

eigner

by eigner

just loving the RXR more and more! Great looking bike with awesome components. Best of the best.
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com