BMC Team Machine SLR01 (update 8/17/15, pg. 5)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

L84AD8 - I really like the new stuff from Jagwire. It was very easy to work with although it does require extra time if you want to get things perfect. It's light and shifting and breaking is best I have had. Shifting feels very direct and there is no slop at all. Didn't have a chance to do any heavy breaking but brakes felt stiff and worked very smooth. I highly recommend this set up as an alternative to Nokons or Alligator iLinks. I think it looks better than the two as well.

And here is a detailed weight breakdown.

With my C24 wheels I was able to break into the sub 6.8kg zone. If i can shed another 100 or so grams I will be sub 6.8kg with the Rail52s.

Shot this during todays test ride after the rebuild. Love this bike :thumbup:

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Saddle, cassette, tape, and bar. You could pretty easily drop 100g there...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Thanks for the ideas, Quinn039! Saddle may be upgraded to same model with carbon rails at some point. for now the cassette and bar will stay as is.

On its way is a Stages power meter that I was fortunate to get through a team deal. I ended up going with the Rival arm so that I can run it on my CAAD8 race bike. In order to run it on the BMC I would need a GXP crank. Well luckily I scored a lightly used Sram Red Exogram crank from a fellow WW member (thanks 2002maniac!) :thumbup: It should be about 85 grams lighter than my current Force BB30 crank with the same Q rings. In order to run it on the BMC frame I'll need the Wheels Manufacturing adapter which should add some grams. All in all I should still walk away with a few saved grams and most importantly the ability to swap the Stages power meter between both bikes in a matter of a few minutes!

plpete

by plpete

Crank is complete with rings and weighs in at 574 grams. 86 grams less than my previous BB30 set up.

The Wheels Manufacturing adapters came in at 47 grams.

The entire set up is almost 40 grams lighter and will allow me to use the Stages power meter arm. Once it arrives I will collect the weight :thumbup:

JasperGr

by JasperGr

@plpete: Great build! I really like those BMC SLR01 frame and your build make it even better!

Is it true that the BMC SLR01 has a BB86? If so, are there any cons about the use of adapters to get a BB30 crank work? I have a Scott Foil with BB86 and I like to upgrade my Ultegra 6700 crank with a Force 22 BB30 Crank but my LBS said it's better to use a GXP crank but I don't like that ;).

plpete

by plpete

Thanks Jasper!

Regarding the BB standard it depends on the year. The earlier models up to 2012 (I believe) were all BB30. After than they switched to BB86, most likely because Shimano is the main drivetrain sponsor for the BMC team. I plan to do the first ride tomorrow with the new crank and adaptors so I will report later but have heard nothing but good things about the Wheels Manufacturing adapters. A lot of this comes down to a proper install. Many hate the BB30 standard as it can be finicky and creak often but a friend of mine who is a good mechanic did a great job and not a peep for a year + now.

Your LBS is right. The BB30 crank spindle is not long enough to fit. I think the diameter wouldn't fit as well.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Oke I understand it about BMC that they changed there bb. Bad for me that a bb30 crank doesn't fit in my Foil, so I need to choose a new shim crank or a gxp.

How felt the ride with the new crank/adapter?

Thanks for the comment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by JasperGr on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

plpete

by plpete

The new crank with the adapters worked flawlessly. Install was as simple as installing a new crank. I made sure to clean and regrease everything. I rode the bike only twice so far but I rode it relatively hard and heard not a creak or peep. Everything was silent and felt solid. I don't really ride in the rain (or at least try to) so can't say how things will be in wet but I'm sure proper amount of grease will keep things smooth and quiet.

plpete

by plpete

Update!

For some time I have been contemplating on getting a long cage RD in order to easily run larger cassettes for those long climbing days. After doing some reading and thinking I decided to get the new Sram Force22 rear derailleur. That's right, an 11 speed RD for my 10 speed drivetrain. It was actually less expensive than the 10 speed version. There was no real reason why it wouldn't work as the indexing for the 11 speed group is in the shifters and not the RD. The cage also provides enough room for a 10 speed chain as the 11 speed is just slightly narrower. The RD came is at 187 grams so there is only a 14 gram penalty.

I installed it last night and after some limit screw adjustments the shifting was as great as it was before. Finished photos coming soon!

plpete

by plpete

It's been a while since I updated this page so here is some news.

I had a stupid incident where I won't go into details but the bike ended up falling down and ended up with a crack in the top tube. It was more of a spiderweb type crack and no carbon went missing. I like the frame and ended up having it repaired. Here is a before and after photo:

Before:

After repair:

As you can see the repair looks fantastic and you really need a closer look to tell anything. It was also a lot cheaper than a new frame!

Now it's rebuild time with finished photos to come :)

rxpusher

by rxpusher

Very nice. Where did you get the carbon repaired?

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! I had the work done by Spyder Composites.

The bike is now built up and rides fantastic!

The Force22 RD works perfectly fine with the 10-speed Force shifters. Now I can run a smaller cassette for a flat race day or my 12-32t for big climbing days.

czaballa

by czaballa

Really like the look of this machine! :thumbup: And good to know about that 11speed rear derailleur in a 10 speed set-up.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

Very nice, looks great! Glad to hear you're going to make use of that mid cage derailleur with a 32t cassette. Atta boy!

plpete

by plpete

You better believe it I am! It's a nice to have that gear when climbing 10%+ grades on gravel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com