2017 S-Works Epic HT Single speed.

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Hey team,

Those who've been on the forum may recognise me, in a seasoned weenie, running my (now sold) Scott Addict LTD below 5kg, and being a bit of a preacher for drillium and hand tuning a lot of my bits.

Well after straying from road (and specifically Weight Weenieing) I've got the opportunity to go a bit silly with my mountain bike. Let me start by saying, I ride and race singlespeed very seriously. On a flat enough course I'm more than happy on it, and I do my best to stick it to local geared riders. The obvious downside being hills. I have an entire XX1 drivetrain that's swapped onto the bike for hilly races which works great, however 99% of the time my bikes run Single Speed. I have a big squishy trail bike for everything else.

Up until recently, I was running a 2014 S-Works Stumpy HT frameset, however I had a minor incident with the garage door and my car.

anyway ill start to uplaod some pictures of the parts ive got waiting for the new frame set to arrive, there's also a bunch of work I need to do to some components so the bike isn't an eyesore. More on that later.

:beerchug:
Last edited by weeracerweenie on Mon May 15, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

This sounds like a fun project. I can't see the pic you posted above though unfortunately

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

burglarboycie wrote:This sounds like a fun project. I can't see the pic you posted above though unfortunately

fixed, my bad :noidea:

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

i have only really two tyres that i like to run, however i am considering branching out to Thunder Burts when we get back round to summer here in NZ. 50% of the time ill use 29x2.0 Specialized Fast Trak S-Works tyres, and the rest of the time ill use the lighter and faster Specialized Renegades in a 29x1.95, they roll amazingly in a straight line. Pics are of two brand new renegades ill use for a few long straight zero corner races in a few weeks.

Recently found in my stash of goodies are these bar plugs. Where they came from i have no bloody idea, but they look great and are reasonably light. certainly not heavy enough for me to spend money on a replacement.

Also discovered in my stash is this relatively light post clamp, undecided if ill use this or the stock one on the new S-Works frame, as i have a suspicion i dont have a choice (stock one may be bonded to the frame?)

Lastly, the bottle cage i love, S-Works Rib Cage Composite. on longer races i attach the SWAT tool to the back as well.

If you hadn't guessed, i work part time for the local Specialized Concept store 1 day a week, hence all the Specialized gear. (Im a full time Qualified Builder the other 5 days of the week averaging 65 hours a week at work)

More updates tomorrow.

euph

by euph

Good to see you back again. Shame you aren't on a road bike any more but I dig the singlespeed.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

serious1

by serious1

Magic gear or a PF30 EBB? I've got one of the 2010 S-works Stumpys with track dropouts and its a blast!

BmanX

by BmanX

How did you sort out the chain to be the perfect length?
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

BmanX wrote:How did you sort out the chain to be the perfect length?

serious1 wrote:Magic gear or a PF30 EBB? I've got one of the 2010 S-works Stumpys with track dropouts and its a blast!

Wheels Manufacturing ECCPF30. It's a really heavy item, but it works flawlessly. Currently searching for lighter alternitives with little luck. More on that later

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

The eccentric BB i've used on a multiple of bike for years, works flawlessly when set up correctly. Wheels manufacturing have some awesome products, of which this is one, however this has one small flaw.

Check out the bloody weight of it? 181g! The moral objection within tells me its far far to heavy. The reality is what other options do i have? The most i can really do is find Titanium bolts for it. So ill start there, yet to actually find some replacements.

serious1

by serious1

I used to have an Aluminum Niner Air 9 that had a Probelm Solvers E46 EBB. Weighed 162g. Isn't the new Epic HT bb shell all carbon and wont the compression on the ebb crush the shell?

I'm pretty happy to see that you've used that to great success on the stumpy!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

serious1 wrote:I used to have an Aluminum Niner Air 9 that had a Probelm Solvers E46 EBB. Weighed 162g. Isn't the new Epic HT bb shell all carbon and wont the compression on the ebb crush the shell?

I'm pretty happy to see that you've used that to great success on the stumpy!

Yeah problem solvers was my backup choice, the epic BB shell should be almost the same as the stumpy was, a carbon tube in the frame. The frameset that's now arrived ( :beerchug: ) will get thouroghly checked out and I've email our dealers directly to check that it won't void warranty by using the side clamping mechanism. If I have to move to a wedging bb I will.

Photos and weights of the frameset this in three days! Mark your calendars!

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Frame arrived! Its absolutely stunning in person! the green has some sparkle through it, and it fogs out to the black.

Terrible Iphone pictures are all i have sorry!

Individual bits now

Seatpost clamp - 11g. Really happy with this, its a 30.0mm clamp so there is basically nothing lighter than i can easily get, this is really nicely made anyway, ill keep it.

Rear Axle -33g, Not bad, when Extralite produce one ill buy it but for now this is good.

Post - 212g, not going to use it anyway,its to heavy and not setback. For sale if anyone wants it. $150nzd.

And finally, after being rumoured at 850g for a medium including all hardware, i can confirm with nothing but the bumper on the downtube, seatpost collar, all stickers, cable routing and a rubbish stick on chain protector its weighs 965gm. honestly expected it to be in the 800-899gm range at the least, not 965gm.

Conclusion: All manufacturers are wildy optimistic about their frame weights, its the best looking frame ive ever owned by a long long way, and it will now be slightly harder to get it to the low 6kg mark. may take a while....

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Going to be interesting to see this one finished! Say what you will about SS but it just looks so damn good.
And that's still a respectable frame weight.
This frame is the same as the one they call 2018 and claims 800g (although I found one site explaining that was unpainted and no hardware), right?

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Gullholm wrote:Going to be interesting to see this one finished! Say what you will about SS but it just looks so damn good.
And that's still a respectable frame weight.
This frame is the same as the one they call 2018 and claims 800g (although I found one site explaining that was unpainted and no hardware), right?

Yeah that's the one. Specialized themselves have never "claimed a weight", or at least I haven't seen one. All I've seen is secondary news sources with claimed weights. None the less I'm happy with it, and hopefully within about 3 weeks it'll be ridden in its first form.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gullholm

by Gullholm

weeracerweenie wrote:Yeah that's the one. Specialized themselves have never "claimed a weight", or at least I haven't seen one. All I've seen is secondary news sources with claimed weights. None the less I'm happy with it, and hopefully within about 3 weeks it'll be ridden in its first form.

Thanks for the info. Had one of those frames going through at work a couple of months ago and you're right about the looks, very nice. Both the frame itself and the paintjob.

Best of luck with the build, keep the updates coming! :beerchug: