Gaulzetti Cazzo - what no purple?!

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I forget what size my R330 was, but the top tube was 57.5cm from memory, with something like a 16cm head tube (plus external Chris King headset). I used to run a 100mm stem because I refused to go any shorter from a handling perspective, but I really should have run an 80mm stem (especially with the bars I was running) for it to fit right. Bikes just do not handle well with such short stems so it wasn't going to happen!

Don't forget to consider BB drop too. Most frames run at around 68-73mm - my Baum is 75mm and this 'zetti is 76mm. Only a bit extra, but it helps to lower my centre of gravity (necessary to stabilise a tall-but-short bike) and reduce that saddle-to-bar drop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nspace

by nspace

I love the way the shorter stem is on my MTB. It's pretty damn twitchy, but it's also non-suspension corrected with 26" fork w/ 38mm offset to counter that. I love the fast steering but I could see that level of twitchiness not being desirable on the road... although I run an 80mm stem on my CX bike and it handles just fine.

Makes sense re: bb-drop, its about 70mm on mine. That's a much longer TT than you're running now, crazy. You must have been really stretched out on that?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

To be honest I don't recall it feeling too bad, but I'd struggle to go back to it now. That was nearly 3 years and 5 bikes ago (already!) so I would struggle to accurately remember!

I was more flexible then which would have helped, but not significantly more than I am now.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Early stage build pic:

Gone for full Chorus rather than the EE brakes and Tune cranks - seemed to suit the bike better.

Saddle and wheels in this pic are loaners - the saddle will be a NOS white original Flite saddle, and the wheels will be 40mm carbon tubs on Royce hubs running skinwall FMB Comps. The seatpost is a custom anodised NOS Campag C-Record post and suits the bike perfectly I reckon!

aharbutt

by aharbutt

Looks classic. Good choice on the brakes and cranks.

Timo

by Timo

Very nice and I agree on the cranks and brakes. Which handlebar is that?
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Bar is a Zipp super short, but I'm hoping to change to a more normal reach bar on this bike.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Don't like the cages, king ti cages would suit this build better.. The more subtle design of the king cages would match the steel tubing better.
While I know you like the campag 'full gruppo' more than a mixed group but the EE brakes actually work better ;)

Should be a nice looking bike at the end of the day.
My vote goes to a 3.4 smart system wheelset for what it's worth.. :mrgreen:

kgt

by kgt

Nice looking frame. I would choose a more "classic" saddle BTW.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

sugarkane wrote:Don't like the cages, king ti cages would suit this build better..

While I know you like the campag 'full gruppo' more than a mixed group but the EE brakes actually work better ;)

My vote goes to a 3.4 smart system wheelset for what it's worth.. :mrgreen:

The cages will stay - they work too well not to, and I'm not keen on the look of the Kings.

Running the EEs on this means taking them off of my Baum - then I need to buy new brakes for that, which I can't afford to do right now. Besides, the full Campag group just suits the bike better.

I'd go for 3.4s if the Enve dealer would sell me rims at trade price. Seeing as they won't, it'll most likely be getting Royce Racing Gold hubs on Corima 32mm or 47mm rims because I do get those at trade, and they're almost the same width and profile with external nipples. The Racing Gold hubs are ordered, but they take 4 months to make. Whilst I'm waiting it'll be on the standard Royce hubs and generic carbon rims.

kgt wrote:Nice looking frame. I would choose a more "classic" saddle BTW.

It's getting a NOS Flite in white. :wink:

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Who's importing enve these days. It used to be egde cycling but I heard they lost their import rights..

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Monza in Melb.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Gezz that's a bit shit.. I guess you are just a guy who has a blog though..
My enve wheelset cost me at least 1k less than going through some one using the Au distributor..
I think way to many things coming into Australia still touch too many hands and cost ( too much ) accordingly

I was looking at some Hed carbon clinchers ( at wholesale ;) ) but hed have desided not to put them into production :(

Shame about the enve rims, cause the corima rims are not in the same league to be honest

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Well, I do have a (fledgling) bike business too...! :D

HED carbon clinchers are real - they're being announced in the next few weeks.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Good to know I'll have to look again into the hed clinchers I think I'd really like a pair.
And nice to hear you doing something, I might like one of the phone cases in black of course
So why won't Monza do you distro pricing? You have a legit cause and the Royce hubs would be a nice match to the smart series rims...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com