S-Works Tarmac SL3, size 56, hidden batt,13.96 lbs (6.33 kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kattanm

by kattanm

Frame has unnecessary cable stops removed and was repainted
Battery in the seat post
S-Works Crankset (forgot weight but was lighter than SRAM Red crankset I bought)
SRAM Red brakes
Dura-Ace Di2 Dérailleurs
Zipp SL Speed Carbon Road Stem (102g)
Easton EC90 Carbon Handle Bars
Stan's Notubes Alpha 340 Pro Wheel (decals removed)
    Front wheel bare with factory yellow strip (498g)
    Forte light tube (68g)
    S-Works Turbo Tire (200g)
    Zipp Aero Ti Quick Release (26g)
Same wheel in back
    Back wheel with factory yellow strip (702g)
    SRAM Red 11-25 cassette (165g)
    Forte light tube (68g)
    S-Works Turbo Tire (200g)
    Zipp Aero Ti Quick Release (28g)
Specialized S-Works TOUPE CARBON SADDLE 143 mm (115g)
SRAM PC 1091R PowerChain (255g)
Easton EC90 Carbon Handle Bars
Specialized S-Works SL Carbon 2-Bolt Seatpost (200g)
Specialized Rib Cage Carbon Water Bottle Cages (23g x 2)
K-Edge Garmin Mount (45g)
Speedplay Zero Ti Pedals (164g)

Suggestions or style tips appreciated...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Nice build. Someone is going to comment on the stack height so it might as well be me. That is a lot of spacers and an upturned stem. With a lot of seatpost (which is okay) but it means you would probably be better with a larger frame size with a shorter stem, or a frame that naturally comes with a higher headtube. I think the maximum recommended spacer height is 4cm and you have got to be on that if not over.

The di2 conversion looks seamless by the way.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kattanm

by kattanm

NiFTY wrote:Nice build. Someone is going to comment on the stack height so it might as well be me. That is a lot of spacers and an upturned stem. With a lot of seatpost (which is okay) but it means you would probably be better with a larger frame size with a shorter stem, or a frame that naturally comes with a higher headtube. I think the maximum recommended spacer height is 4cm and you have got to be on that if not over.

The di2 conversion looks seamless by the way.

Yes, what should I do? I'm kind of locked into this custom conversion frame without dropping a lot of cash. I tried briefly a quick ride with the stem turned down and really couldn't feel much difference, if that says anything. What's the harm with the excess spacer height?

jamesfifield

by jamesfifield

kattanm wrote: tried briefly a quick ride with the stem turned down and really couldn't feel much difference

Get a proper fit session and then decide: seems like a waste to spend so much money on the parts but then not spending a couple of hundred bucks to make sure they work perfectly with you, for you. A good fit is more important than pandering to us all on here. But we'll still flame you :lol:

em3

by em3

...what they said.

Plus your chain is too short.

EM3

NiFTY

by NiFTY

The manufacturer specifies a maximum height about the headset as theoretically that is unsupported steerer and is more prone to flex and failure than supported steerer (ie in the headtube) Thus you risk failure (highly unlikely) and less responsive handling (more likely) running that much above the headtube.

Now i am sure that unless you are at the upper limit of the weight scale that it is unlikely to happen to you as the forks are universal and designed to cope with size 49 - 61 and that weights expected weight.

Most importantly, especially on this forum, it looks a bit unsightly.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kattanm

by kattanm

NiFTY wrote:The manufacturer specifies a maximum height about the headset as theoretically that is unsupported steerer and is more prone to flex and failure than supported steerer (ie in the headtube) Thus you risk failure (highly unlikely) and less responsive handling (more likely) running that much above the headtube.

Now i am sure that unless you are at the upper limit of the weight scale that it is unlikely to happen to you as the forks are universal and designed to cope with size 49 - 61 and that weights expected weight.

Most importantly, especially on this forum, it looks a bit unsightly.

Ok. I'm 185lbs and apparently a 57 by the online bike calculator. All feels quite comfortable, but my fitter has indeed not seen this rig yet...

NWSAlpine

by NWSAlpine

I think you could slam the stem and get some new bars. The way the shifters are positioned could be matched and the drop similar with a new compact bar. Basically your stem goes way up then your bars come way down to the placement of the shifters. Would look much better and not have potential flex in the steerer.

kattanm

by kattanm

NWSAlpine wrote:I think you could slam the stem and get some new bars. The way the shifters are positioned could be matched and the drop similar with a new compact bar. Basically your stem goes way up then your bars come way down to the placement of the shifters. Would look much better and not have potential flex in the steerer.

Any chance I could just flip the stem and maybe rotate bars up a tad and get a good look with nearly similar position?

kattanm

by kattanm

OK, time for an update. I know you have been on the edge of your seat. Spent 90 mins yesterday with my professional fitter. Told him I love this bike: light as hell; shifts by itself; and I've dropped all my buddies. It *feels* very comfortable to me but I dropped from a 58 to this 56 and want to make sure I'm not making a grave mistake. My neck also started hurting, but I think (hope) this is unrelated to new bike fit. And here's the result.

He raised the seat, rotated the bars, and slid the shifters up a bit on the bars (and retaped). He said this fit looks great on me but doesn't want to change stem just for aesthetics. He didn't mention stack on the cockpit so hopefully I will not crash. So here you go:

Yes, Calfee Design did the Di2 integration work.

CBJ

by CBJ

I did somewhat of the same on my Tarmac. I have the same kind of bars on the bike temporarily and rotating them makes the ergo drop unridable for me.

HaroldC

by HaroldC

As CBJ mentioned, those drops look unusable now because of the angle, especially in the ergo position.

What kind of fit was it? Retul? BG?

kattanm

by kattanm

HaroldC wrote:As CBJ mentioned, those drops look unusable now because of the angle, especially in the ergo position.

What kind of fit was it? Retul? BG?

Good questions, and you guys are over my head here. I haven't ridden for real on it yet. But, in the drops long part (whatever that's called) it *feels* ok... I mean, not uncomfortable and i can just reach the brakes. The part on the drops under the long part is tiny to begin with, so I won't be down there.

As for kind of fit, um, just an experienced guy looking at me taking measurements and such -- not computerized.

linus

by linus

So you had

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111288

And now you moved to 56?

:roll:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kattanm

by kattanm

linus wrote:So you had

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111288" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And now you moved to 56?

:roll:

Well, got 3 bikes at the moment. Trying the electronic thing.