Shop Owner bike...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

How would like to commute to work on a single speed Guru like Ari from Bespoke SF.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

I used to commute on a singlespeed (but with 2 brakes) and I didn't like it.

Actually, I tried it twice several years apart, and both times went back to gears after a few months.

emcardle

by emcardle

Marin wrote:I used to commute on a singlespeed (but with 2 brakes) and I didn't like it.

Actually, I tried it twice several years apart, and both times went back to gears after a few months.

Have to agree here, I know a few people who commute on them (for fashion imo) but I found when I tried it I went straight back to freewheel bikes.

LEC135

by LEC135

I used to but it just got silly dangerous as stopping was such a drag……..Safer+Happier with brakes and a freewheel

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

A shop to avoid if the owner rides a bike like that. Bikes like that do not offer high levels of safety for commuting.

bontie

by bontie

Why does everyone assume its fixed?

Marin

by Marin

I don't. I didn't ride fixed either when I had only 1 speed.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

bontie wrote:Why does everyone assume its fixed?

The plain sprocket and lockring? Plain as day.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Valbrona wrote:A shop to avoid if the owner rides a bike like that. Bikes like that do not offer high levels of safety for commuting.

Enlighten us. What is wrong with a fixed gear commuting bike? Perhaps his ride in is pan flat, perhaps he/she rides sensibly rather than like a hipster? Nothing unsafe or wrong about a fixed bike with a brake, albeit I have guards on 24/7 on mine.

emcardle

by emcardle

ultimobici wrote:
Valbrona wrote:A shop to avoid if the owner rides a bike like that. Bikes like that do not offer high levels of safety for commuting.

Enlighten us. What is wrong with a fixed gear commuting bike? Perhaps his ride in is pan flat, perhaps he/she rides sensibly rather than like a hipster? Nothing unsafe or wrong about a fixed bike with a brake, albeit I have guards on 24/7 on mine.

Harder to stop even with two brakes and bad for your knees.

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

Wow. Seriously the silliest thing I've read in this site. The shop is turning out jaw dropping custom works of art from Guru, Parlee, Seven...certified Retul fittings, Assos, POC, Cafe du cyclist, Bont.

I rode a single speed, not fixed, with the a front brake all over the city for years, when I was a grown up and before it was hipster, like 20 years ago. If you're not being stupid then it's as safe as any geared bike.

Riding a single or fixed gear is pretty universally recognized as great training for technique and power done correctly.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Juanmoretime wrote:I don't see an issue. I train on this all the time. Yes its fixed.

hipster apocalypse :D
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

Citizenfox

by Citizenfox

dadoflam08 wrote:
Juanmoretime wrote:I don't see an issue. I train on this all the time. Yes its fixed.

hipster apocalypse :D

If this is what it looks like...bring it on

emcardle

by emcardle

Valbrona wrote:Riding a single or fixed gear is pretty universally recognized as great training for technique and power done correctly.

Not if you value your knees...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

emcardle wrote:
Valbrona wrote:Riding a single or fixed gear is pretty universally recognized as great training for technique and power done correctly.

Not if you value your knees...
Utter crap.

Been riding fixed for best part of 2 decades with no knee issues at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk