COLNAGO Extreme Power Pg. 7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Yes, I may consider removing the logo later. My plan is to leave the black C.One30 saddle as is, and paint the C.One Nack. The color choice is secret for now. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lig

by Lig

Hi Irongatsby,

It will be a very classy build - I will look forward to seeing it.

I know what you mean about the Edge/Enve seat post, the are a very very well finished quality post......BUT on such a special frame I think it should be Italian throughout... IMHO...

Keeping an eye on this one ...Lig.

kgt

by kgt

irongatsby wrote:Ah yes kgt, the American components..... May I? :mrgreen:
1. Chris King Headset- It seems like CK is being accepted by some enthusiasts of Italian cycling nowadays. No need to mention their quality, but I like the tall stack height which allows me to use less spacers. Of course there's the Campy headset, but I'm not sure about that plastic ring around the lower cup. Looks a bit outdated and seems more fitting on a true classic like the Master. Also, I don't feel like re-greasing the headset. IMO, a headset should be a 'set it and forget it' element.
2. King titanium cage- Here, I was looking for a very simple and traditional looking piece that is light in weight. The Ti handles on POP skewers should pick up the Ti cage nicely. The Elite Ciussi is okay, but too busy looking.
3. Reynolds Wheelset- As previously mentioned, the mixed rim depth wasn't my first choice, but I got a great deal and I will try to make the best of what I have. I think mixed depth wheelsets can look great from most angles except from a straight sideview. It makes the bike appear a bit unbalanced, but looks aggressive and dynamic. However, I admit that a mixed wheelset isn't necessary for a frame like this. I plan on getting some Lightweights in the not so near future.
4. Edge seatpost- I just simply love this component. IMO, it is a smartly engineered piece that connects the saddle to the frame without making a lot of noise. The negative space around the saddle and seatpost junction is especially clean.

Everything else is Italian Italian Italian, so relax and give it a chance!!! :beerchug:

I do not doubt the quality of these components but the aesthetics, the decals, etc in relation to this frame. I am not even sure about the saddle choise. It's italian, ok. but it does not match the frame IMO.
It's your frame of course but I would try to be more "gentle". You can make something really amazing or something... so and so by using, whatever components. Try at least to remove the decals.
PS The campy headset is of the highest quality BTW.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Thank you Lig and others for your comments so far. Lig, I hear you on the Edge not being the most 'appropriate' for this build, but the current Italian offerings don't impress me very much, especially considering their high standards. The Edge logo does look a bit strong, doesn't it? Anyhow, let's see how this build turns out with my original plan. I may make some adjustments afterwards. BTW, you have an incredible stable of bikes..

Paul

irongatsby

by irongatsby

kgt wrote:I do not doubt the quality of these components but the aesthetics, the decals, etc in relation to this frame. I am not even sure about the saddle choise. It's italian, ok. but it does not match the frame IMO.
It's your frame of course but I would try to be more "gentle". You can make something really amazing or something... so and so by using, whatever components. Try at least to remove the decals.
PS The campy headset is of the highest quality BTW.

Hi kgt, thanks for your input, but Colnago has equipped their complete bikes with Prologo C.One30s for a while now. I don't know about you, but IMO this saddle looks pretty Italian to me, and period correct as well. I think this saddle is at least as appropriate for this frame as a Tom Ritchey component on a Willier. No offense to Tom Ritchey as I respect him as a great contributor to the American cycling industry, but how 'aesthetically correct' is his logos on a frame from an Italian co. with 100+ years of history? If I'm missing something, please educate me. :mrgreen:

kgt

by kgt

My view has nothing to do with the "origin" of the company. It has to do with the design concept, colors etc. The prologo is a fine italian saddle but the red bits do not match your frame. There's not even a red dot on your frame. Details you may say, but god is in the details as we know. :)

As you said - for Colnago and Prologo - Wilier collaborates with ritchey components since 2002-2003 if I remember well. No coincidence that the ritchey logos are too small and minimal to interfere with the big Wilier logo IMHO.

Lig

by Lig

Hi Paul and thanks for the complement on my stable - I am pretty much bike obsessed - As i guess a lot of guys are on here... :D

I think the Edge graphics will go fine with the white Colnago text on the frame, I was just meaning that as its such a special frame I would stick to Italian. I also think a seatpost with a carbon weave would complement the frame well as opposed to the UD of the Edge... I had a Cinelli RAM seatpost that was really nice and a bit different but it was quite weighty and not to eveyones liking, but as you have gone with Deda bars and stem, the Superzero black seatpost would look really nice showing the weave and being Italian and the clamp is dark anodized which would match your clamp and Ti bits (well the clamp on my white one is, dont see why it shouldnt be on the black but worth checking.....) ... but hey, i am not trying to get you to change your mind, the Edge post is nice and will look just fine....now as someone said to me on my post....stop chatting and get it built :lol:

Cheers,
Lig.

c50jim

by c50jim

As someone who owns 10 Colnagos, I think this bike looks great as the OP is building it. All the parts are top notch and will work well. What's with the Italian parts on Colnago business? Pretty well every pro team that's ever used Colnagos has used Shimano. My Colnagos have FIzik Aliantes or Prologo Scratches because the shape works for me on a 5 hour ride, not because they look right (or don't) with the frame.

As to the poster who loved his C50 and hated the EP, I'd disagree. Although it's in my name on this site, I sold my C50 when I bought another C40 a few years ago and realized I preferred it (which is why I have five C40s now and keep buying any NOS 59s I find so I can have one at home and one at my place in the mountains for the rest of my riding life). I built an EP and an EPS this year to try the newer frames and have to say I prefer the EP to the EPS, find that its ride is acceptable to me with Velocity A23s and 90 pounds in the tires and by the end of the season was riding it about as often as my daily rider C40. And it still has that confidence inspiring Colnago handling that means I can go down bumpy hills south of town here at 70 km/hr+ and feel comfortable.

Elrey

by Elrey

That auto i very very cool!

irongatsby

by irongatsby

kgt wrote:My view has nothing to do with the "origin" of the company. It has to do with the design concept, colors etc. The prologo is a fine italian saddle but the red bits do not match your frame. There's not even a red dot on your frame. Details you may say, but god is in the details as we know. :)

The frame does have a small amount of red in the head badge and a negligible amount in the 'Colnago Made In Italy' decal on the seat tube. :mrgreen: There will also be some red bits on the Deda bar and stem, and of course if I go with SR, some red there. I like the Record for its simpler colors, but I'm really itching to have the flagship group. I have a pretty heavy frame to start with, but one of my objectives is to have the lightest bike possible without resorting to super delicate boutique parts. I expect this bike to weigh around 6.6kg to 6.7kg..

Regarding attention to detail, in addition to color, texture and graphics, I think other factors such as surface quality and negative space are also important when discussing bicycle design; especially negative space because there's so much of it on a bike. Lig makes a good point about the texture of the Superzero matching the frame better. Agreed, and I will try it out. I had thought about the Superzero before, but I remember someone pointing out that it's considerably heavier than what Deda claims. I like this 'black egg shell' look of the Edge. I think its matte texture contrasts well with the polished seatpost clamp.

kgt wrote:As you said - for Colnago and Prologo - Wilier collaborates with ritchey components since 2002-2003 if I remember well. No coincidence that the ritchey logos are too small and minimal to interfere with the big Wilier logo IMHO.

Point well taken. I'm hoping the Deda logos don't interfere too much with the bike. Deda likes to get crazy with the graphics sometimes.. Below is what I've done so far. Yeah, the rear wheel looks a bit heavy. Ignore the stem.

willy

by willy

Very very nice indeed!

majklnajt

by majklnajt

Looking very sharp already!! :thumbup:

irongatsby

by irongatsby

Thanks Willy and Damjan. I was pleasantly surprised by the weight of the King Ti cage. I also got some M5 x 12mm Ti bolts to replace the M5 x 14mm steel bolts. The steel bolts were 11 grams, so I guess I saved around 7 grams. I question how accurate my scale is at this weight though. 33 grams for 2 skewers is kinda scary... :unbelievable:

kgt

by kgt

Saddle looks ok. Seatpost and wheels not a great choise IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com