HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:12 am 

I purchased seperately a 2014 BMC SLR01 frameset, and a 2015 Campagnolo Super Record EPS groupset.

Took it to the LBS (not a BMC dealer) to get it assembled.

it was found that the EPS cables' end diameter is too large (7.02 mm) for the holes provided (5.66 mm) on the seat and head tubes.

The plug measures at least 7.02 mm.

Whereas the hole measures 5.66 mm.

The electronic cable holes appear to be drilled, whereas the head tube's brake cable hole (left) is molded.

How electronic is supposed to look with BMC's Dual Transmission Integration.

Nothing on BMC's website indicates that electronic transmissions are limited to Di2. In fact, much is made of the flexibility of their frame to accomodate well all transmissions.

Quote:
Dual Transmission Integration

Rider's choice - Aesthetics should not be an afterthought - DTi allows BMC frames to look like the precision machines we designed them to be, regardless of drivetrain variations.

The bike shop mechanic will contact BMC when they reopen in several days, so I'll have to sit tight until then. I don't know what stance BMC will take, nor what solution they will recommend. Any ideas, WW?

Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:12 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:13 am 

I wrote few weeks ago ( being criticised ) that BMC is build "around Shimano" , and that will cause various issues, specially with Campagnolo… .

BMC by "variations" understood mech/di2 NOT Di2/EPS … . If BMC didn't mention that frame is "shimano compatible only" for electronic shifting, return frame… Any modifications will void warranty, however maybe BMC will give indyvidual permission with instruction how-to ( doubt it ) . It has to be in written, to not loose warranty.

IMO or exchange frameset or drivetrain ( for Shimano or for mechanical ) … BTW do brake fits, or you need to apply additional spacers to avoid pad rubbing on frame ;) ?

With BMC always look all drivetrain variants on their website ( ready bikes ) : if you don't see anything else than Shimano- be aware that it will cause troubles with Campagnolo… .

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:33 pm 

Ritterview wrote:
The bike shop mechanic will contact BMC when they reopen in several days, so I'll have to sit tight until then. I don't know what stance BMC will take, nor what solution they will recommend. Any ideas, WW?

I'm in a similar position, having acquired a BMC SLR01 intended to be matched with Athena EPS. The holes for front mech cable and at the head tube will accept the connector. However the hole under the BB will not accept the three cables emerging from the battery (external mount under down tube).

The solution is obvious - drill out the BB hole to a suitable larger diameter. I mean, what the hell else can be done.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:27 pm 
Shop Owner

You could enlarge the holes by sanding it too [small dremel] vs cutting. The only issue you'll have is the warranty of the frame. If the bottom bracket should break [or any other location of the frame], as long as the bread was not emanating from the electrical hole, then you should be fine.

If there is not warranty concern, then I wouldn't be worried about with anything.

FYI, the specs have not changed because it is a 2015, they always were that big in diameter [ http://eps.campagnolo.com/system/docume ... 012_UK.pdf ].

As for your very narrow search that BMC is faulty with their advertising, They never said ALL Groupsets will fit their frames. They never mentioned that EPS will fit their Frames. They CLEARLY show and mention ONLY Di2. You then have the bike built by a non BMC dealer to boot.

When you make a choice based on assumptions and failed to ask direct questions up front, could end up poorly. Making assumptions, then blaming BMC [who never mentioned that EPS fits their frames, accept in their 2013 where they did make a bike that had EPS], start bashing BMC on the web [without BMC having time to give you an answer] is a bit premature. I've seen the tandem you have made, bet you asked a lot of questions when that was built. I believe you really jumped the gun on this one and then started to look at who to blame. Don't worry, it's the American way we do things.

BMC may have made the holes small for Di2 because it is so much easier to enlarge a hole than to reduce it. They may have a procedure to enlarge the hole without disruption of warranty. How about take a step back, retract some of your bad mouthing statements about BMC, read a little more clearly about what is mentioned, and have a beer.

Funny how you did not mention that Campagnolo made the connectors too large and they should of mentioned on their website they did not fit BMC frames.

Last edited by Butcher on Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:55 pm 

I just had a Colnago converted from mechanical to accept the Campy SR -11 EPS v2, Ruckus Composites did a great job. I am sure the could do the necessary modifications to your frame if your worried about doing it yourself. You will also need an additional hole for the charing port of the battery if you are using V2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:24 am 

If it comes to BMC maintaining that its frame is not compatible with Campagnolo EPS, that's incompatible with their promotion what is purported to be the unique-to-BMC, uber-flexible Dual Transmission Integration feature – or DTi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:02 am 

Man that sucks. Huge oversight by their designers to not check those details. I personally would not modify a brand new frame that didn't work. I would return it and try something else. Sort of crazy to void a warranty before it ever sees the road.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:52 am 
Shop Owner

Of course you could install the battery charge port to the seat post like many have done. That should do nothing to screw the warranty of the frame. Maybe the seat post warranty, but really, it's just a seat post. My Ritchey Carbon WSC 2 bolt post has worked fine for going on 3 years now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:02 am 

spookyload wrote:
Man that sucks. Huge oversight by their designers to not check those details. I personally would not modify a brand new frame that didn't work. I would return it and try something else. Sort of crazy to void a warranty before it ever sees the road.

Oh, I'm not going to have anything done without the express written permission of BMC. I cannot see BMC writing me to inform that I'm out of luck and cannot install the drivetrain of my choosing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 am 

As a person grew up in communistic "paradise" I can easy imagine different means of "freedom" , "choice" and "total" :mrgreen:

"their" freedom means Shimano Di2 . Whichever you choose :idea: Look @ images : do you see EPS ?

If you see ANY frame with BB86 , you should consider it as "Shimano , and Shimano only "friendly" frame" , perhaps Italians ( Bianchi, Colnago, Pina ) will make 1 step more and don't make Campagnolo users life miserable, but I wouldn't expect same from companies so strong "connected" with Shimano like BMC, Trek, Giant.

And look @ site rules : NOTHING there can be considered as "offer" according EU law regulations …. it's just marketing. Read : cheating.

"countless possibilities" - what if it's not countless : will you sue them ? It's for the first look clear "marketing manipulation" … "one for all" , "fits to all" , … do you really make decision basing on THIS ??? :shock:

And most funny part is , that ONE phonecall to BMC ( 5€ maybe ) and within 2-3 min you will talk with tech rep there and got ALL answers which you can trust ( checked many times ) …

EDIT :

On BMC website I found this text ( SLR01 frameset ) :

"Clean and protected internal routing of the Di2 wire along the rear brake cable."

Clear enough ? They have protected a--- ? Yes,

now you can have total freedom choosing from countless options , more : you can do it now or in the future : you can choose Shimano :)

EDIT #2 :

There's "special edition" of SLR01 called "SLR 01 Di2" , made ONLY for Shimano Di2 , so maybe that is your version ? Now many stores has it on "sale" for about half of regular frameset price …

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:47 pm 

Take it easy. It's like that guy told you, if they make the holes to large it wouldn't work to well with Shimas Di2. I am sure they permit you to enlarge the holes that are made (drilled/molded).
What they could have done, is to make holes larger and use rubber inserts that could be used with Di2 and taken off when using EPS.
I have a ti frame, it's same with this one. It's made for mechanical, if i wanted Di2 or EPS, it had been pre-drilled for that specific option but you could not use mechanical later on.
If i would want Di2/ EPS, i just say that and they tell me how they want me to drill the holes and where, this way the warranty is intact (life time).
But i think you would want it on paper if the frame should crack. I mean, sure it can crack for reasons that has nothing to do with you make the holes larger.
As long as you won't hammer holes or drill on specific places they do not warrant, it should be fine.
I would actually call BMC and ask for the correct persons to talk to execute this perfect!
Mail could be working, but it may also lead to misunderstandings, which is just what you don't need now.
Is that EPS group new, bought from this specific dealer who have your frame?
If yes, maybe you can have them change it for Di2? That is if you're not a die hard must have Campa kind of guy!?
It seems some dudes are religious about it, so i better ask.
Keep calm and call them, i think it will solve your dilemma.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:24 am 

After talking to my retailer, and getting scant warranty assurance, I went ahead and had Spyder Composites enlarge the seat tube and headtube openings about 1 mm, and create a new opening on the downtube for the charging port. With considerable difficulty, the Record EPS™ V2 Power Unit was installed, and the wiring threaded. Now my 2014 BMC SLR01 has my drivetrain choice, just as BMC proclaimed rather than envisioned.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:29 am 

Where did they mount the battery? Is the seat tube a 27,2 diameter?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 am 

Inside the seatpost BMC puts some special foam to make it round in order to put the battery inside... Very clever.

Posted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:36 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:41 am 

Does this mean you had to extend all the cables? and how can that be done so the post can be removed?

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next