Cinelli Strato Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

outhouse

by outhouse

Points to note:

Edco use a Multisys freewheel so any cassette can be fitted without adapters. I've got a red 84g (11-28) Ceradure on order

Two pics show just how far and how close the large Q-Ring gets to the front changer cage - need to adapt to when you can change gear. And the Rotor chain catcher which is a necessity to stop the chain coming off every shift.

You might also notice the amount of material that had to be removed from the front changer hanger in order to get the Red to work with an elliptical chain ring - benefits the bike by reducing weight especially as the hanger was (whisper it) steel!!

Got to think, whilst I love the Rotor set up are the benefits going to outweigh the accommodations made to get it to work. I was always told the simplest engineering solution is the best...

Enjoy
Attachments
2012-02-15 08.39.00_resized_1.jpg
2012-02-15 08.39.17_resized_1.jpg
2012-02-15 08.39.44_resized_1.jpg
2012-02-15 08.40.44_resized_1.jpg
2012-02-15 08.41.10_resized_1.jpg
2012-02-15 08.41.38_resized.jpg

mrfish

by mrfish

Got to think, whilst I love the Rotor set up are the benefits going to outweigh the accommodations made to get it to work. I was always told the simplest engineering solution is the best...

Yes, round chainrings = sensible. Elliptical chainrings = costly marketing kool aid and poor shifting

IMHO the Rotor chainrings have no real effect on cycling speed.

Intuitively and thermodynamically you can't get something for nothing. If you could get something for nothing, people using these rings would win more races than people who don't. But I don't see any significant effect here.

I hear that they do show something like 1% higher power on some powermeters. I think this might be because most power meters assume constant angular velocity when measuring cadence, which is a poor assumption with these rings.

If some people say they 'feel better', then that's great, but it's the placebo effect. Most people would tell me their bike felt stiffer and helped them to sprint faster if I told them I'd provided a 10% stiffer 'special pro Cavendish layup' despite making no changes from standard. Or go cheap and add a shiny bolt to get the same effect.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

outhouse

by outhouse

MrFish is likely to be correct in his/her assumptions. I liked the look and weight of the Rotor system I ended up with Q-Rings because the whole lot came off a new cervelo bike as the owner was swapping it out for a similar set up - so the price was too good to pass up.

However, and although Q-Rings are slightly different, I remember Egg Rings and Biopace neither of which caught on, partly because they damaged riders knees and partly because they were designed to overcome the top and bottom dead centres in the pedaling cycle and the lack of power applied at these points. But, and its a big but, anyone with a decent pedaling style (most obviously professionals) angle their feet (e.g. /...\) to push over and under this dead spot, therefore making the shape of the chain ring irrelevant.

This combined with all the stuff required to make them work and the degradation in shifting opportunities does not leave them with much recommendation. Still look cool though!

hasbeen

by hasbeen

I use Rotor rings for 2 reasons: when I needed a chainring I found a Rotor for the same price as a Red, and I have a bad knee and wanted to see if it helped. I have had no expectations on feeling faster or more powerful. I cant honestly report any improvements in any area but maybe they help my knees; maybe. For me, no net loss though.
I do want to see this Cinelli though!
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

muscle

by muscle

I would love to see how your Strato came out. I am starting a Strato build right now and trying to keep the weight down.