2008 Tarmac budget rebuild

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

morrison

by morrison

Hi. I got this 2008 Tarmac last july. I bought it form a friend at a very good price.

The bike came equipped with Shimano 105, FSA gossamer cranks and Spec OEM wheels. I´m rebuilding it slowly to lose some weight and improve components and transmission.

A pic of the Spec as it came to me:
Attachments
1.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrison

by morrison

As I found the Toupe saddle to be quite uncomfortable, first thing I did was replacing it for a SLR kit carbonio I had lying around the house (not yet on the pics).

Wheels gone and new ones from http://www.kasperwheels.com (a friend of mine) with NoTubes Alpha 340 and Circus Monkey hubs. Swekers are chinese red anodised titanium ones, only 44 grams pair.

Then I replaced the Bontrager RXL stem for a OnOff Expert that is 20 mm longer and a bit lighter; R3 clinchers came then and Ultegra levers and rear mech after that.

Now I´m waiting for Ultegra cranks and brakes as FSA cranks are very heavy and current brake power is not enough.

I have to weigh the bike as soon as possible. :lol:

Some pics:
Attachments
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
8.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

These upgrades are very measured and you will feel the difference for sure! The Ultegra crank shifts like a dream....

morrison

by morrison

Thanks. I know the bike isn´t going to be a true weight weenie but it´s losing grams in order to reach the seven kilo barrier...

Tonight more pics because today I´ve received Ritchey Carbon Superlogic Evolution SL bars (209 grams) and I´ve tuned the seat collar.

morrison

by morrison

Seat collar tuned; I´ve cut the lower "lip" that makes no torque function. I cut the 3T Dorico seatpost a few unnecessary cms and also gained a handful of grams. MSC red cap and ti bolt. Ritchey bars are already mounted.

Weight now is 7,545...

Still waiting for Ultegra brakes and cranks.

Ideas on losing weight on a budget are welcome :wink: :beerchug:
Attachments
7.jpg
6.jpg
2.jpg
c1.jpg
5.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg

ElNotorio

by ElNotorio

Titanium stem bolts, maybe a 10 gram loss.
Aluminium cage bolts, could be more than 10 if you've got heavy steal ones.

Bottle cages could be replaced by some planet x carbon ones, 44grams for a pair, not sure what your current ones weight.

Could lose a lot of weight off the cassette maybe if you've got 105.

FD, going for a braze-on one with an after market carbon clamp (assuming the frame doesn't have a brazed on mount).

Ultegra breaks aren't the lightest, but if you're after stopping power they are a great choice.

1spd

by 1spd

Tires maybe Veloflex Corsa's
tubes, something light weight, maybe 80g or so each.
Picked up my seat collar for $8 off ebay and it weighs in at 10g
Chain? KMC x10SL
Nylon bottle screws (picked up a bag of 100 from McMaster for like $5) (m5 bolts btw)
Toronto Cycles for just about any bolts you want in ti or aluminum, bolts to replace, limit screws on both f/r der, pinch bolts, cable adjuster on r.d.,
Picked up my carbon bottle cages off ebay for $22 shipped, weight for the pair is/was 38g

I know you mentioned on a budget so I'm not trying to throw out more expensive items.

tuning on your own. You might be able to sand down or mill off excess material from your front derailleur. You can scrape the clear coat off your handle bars if they are carbon (actually shaves about 10-15g)

Jockey wheels for your rear derailleur is another idea. Fiber Lytes are expensive but come in at 8g for the pair. Best bet is to weigh what you got now so you know where to start.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

morrison

by morrison

Thanks a lot for the comments and suggestions. I really appreciate them because I´m 43 now and this is my first road bike; I´m a bit lost in terms of components and such since I come from mtb .(22 years now mtbing).

I already got some spare bits and pieces in my toolbox that I must check out. And some ti and alu bolts from Torontocycles that don´t fit my titanium mtbs and must see if they fit the Tarmac (I think that I haven´t got the right ones for the stem).

As for bottle cages I´m thinking about Vincero but don´t know exactly my Spec ones weight; bottle screws are already alu.

Got some KCNC jockey wheels and I must weigh them and compare to Ultegras.

And yes, the frame has a braze on mount; I will find out the 105 fd weight...

I´ve got two set of Alligator I-Links from my mtbs but don´t know if they fit well road bikes ???

Ultegra 12-25 casette is now installed. Also Ultegra cranks came second hand from a friend but in perfect condition. Threw in a couple titanium bolts for the left crank and KCNC and Tiso alu bolts for the rings (weight alongside with BB is 843).

As for Ultegra brakes, well, they are a bit heavy but I needed ore stopping power.

Weight now is 7,500 exactly.

;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1spd

by 1spd

Nice little bolt box! I need to do something like that with the 50k frickn nuts, bolts, screws, washers, springs...I have in different bags all over the place.

iLinks worked on my bike until I swapped handle bars. My new bars have a bit of an internal cable routing system and the links just don't fit thru it. Prior to that, I had to run a short section of standard cable out of the lever to a cable farrel and into the iLink. It was all under bar tape you couldn't see it. I think the standard cable section was only like 4" long. Basically the iLink didn't fit into the back of the lever where it meets the bar (campy)-the little slot was just a hair too small.
Cannondale Synapse (alu)...it works

morrison

by morrison

1spd wrote:Nice little bolt box! I need to do something like that with the 50k frickn nuts, bolts, screws, washers, springs...I have in different bags all over the place.

iLinks worked on my bike until I swapped handle bars. My new bars have a bit of an internal cable routing system and the links just don't fit thru it. Prior to that, I had to run a short section of standard cable out of the lever to a cable farrel and into the iLink. It was all under bar tape you couldn't see it. I think the standard cable section was only like 4" long. Basically the iLink didn't fit into the back of the lever where it meets the bar (campy)-the little slot was just a hair too small.

Ok, thanks for your comments on I-links. As I´m experienced on installing them on my mtb I´ll give them a try on my Ultegra shifters.

morrison

by morrison

I-links aren´t installed yet but a few changes have come into action:

Ritchey Pro Micro V 4 pedals
Rotor S3X stem 6º/110 mm/ 101 grams
DA front mech
Bontrager Evoke carbon saddle (I found a crack in the SLR kit carbonio)
Bontrager XXX cages (18 grams each)
Vittoria inner tubes (80 grams each)

Weight now is 7,200 exactly including Polar CS100

In autumn next step will be stripping the paint off the frame and fork combo and matte clear coating both of them.

I made a short video of the bike in action. Hope you like it:

https://vimeo.com/71628884

RMcC

by RMcC

You could take the stickers off the rims. I've done it on my set, although
I have a black bike so they didn't match at all yet they sort of do on your bike.

morrison

by morrison

Thanks. That´s a good idea as I guess taking the stickers off would mean losing 40 grams or so but I think I´ll wait until frame and fork paint is stripped.

morrison

by morrison

Going for a stealh bike...:)

Small places of the frame here and there need some more sanding...

Black stickers are already prepared (also white ones just in case):

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

nice!