Thank you.

Painting is almost finished:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

morrison

by morrison

Finished. Hope you like it.

Maybe it needs now some black clinchers...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brokentelephone

by brokentelephone

Thats awesome!

I have a 2013 Red Tarmac Expert and would LOVE to repaint it like that, although possibly in a matte blue or green.

Can you write out your process? Specifically, how did you sand (what grits, etc). and how did u paint?

Thanks and great work.

morrison

by morrison

Thank you very much.

I started sanding an small area to find out the thickness of the red and white painting. The white one was a thin layer but the red one and clear coat were very thick layers so I went to my local hardware shop and asked for a non carbon agressive paint stripper; once the red painting was gone I started sanding the whole frame -400 grit-.

Then came no less than 20 hours sanding with 800 grit sanding paper first and 1200 water sanding paper later. Finished it with this 3M sandblaster:

I cleaned the frame with acetone and applied three layers of black matte UV resistant spray painting. Used this one which is intended for graffitti purposes:
http://www.sprayart.es/product_info.php?products_id=556" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It leaves an uniform surface but a bit raspy. Best of all is that there´s no dripping.

Then I applied a black glossy layer in the logo areas and put the vinyl stickers - high quality vinyl; got the vectorized logos at http://www.brandsoftheworld.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; -" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and applied another black matte layer. Took off the stickers with a razor blade trying not to scratch the painting and I was done.

I didn´t applied a clear coat layer but it can be done if you wish to.