Cannondale CAAD10-1 - Destroyed my frame or crankset? Help

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Vuong05

by Vuong05

Hard to say what happened. If it is a bearing or the spindle, then it is an easy/cheap fix.

Just take it apart carefully and see whats wrong. Sorry to hear about it and good luck on getting it back together.
Current Stable. Evo (Storm Trooper) : 5.39kg | Alchemy Eros : Heavy (7.25kg) I Specialized Allez Sprint 2022 : Heavy (7.62kg)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Anders

by Anders

Did you remove the shoulder on the spindle? Is that why you have that carbon spacer on? The blank metal on the outside what is that?

Buffalo

by Buffalo

Please tell us what you've done in regards to your unorthodox hollowgram installation.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

@Anders,
The spindles no longer have shoulders. Looks like a swap to a carbon spacer. Something funny going on with the dust shield, hard to say. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it is related to using a whole lotta preload.

Edit: didn't realise it's the older arms. What spindle is that? And your tire is on backwards... ;-)
Last edited by thisisatest on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

engi

by engi

Ouch! Please tell us more once you find out.

BeeBee30

by BeeBee30

Whats that carbon spacer doing on the inside of the arm?
Ti or dye!

The Weenie formally known as CAADHEAD

CWDK

by CWDK

Buffalo: I didn't install it, so hard for me to say.

Didn't realise that it was a mess to use a carbon spacer before now. Seems like i'm not the only one (http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pho ... p-1/213655), but oh well that doesn't make it more right i guess.

The cranks will be disassembled later today and i will order new spare parts. Hopefully some new bearings, dustshield and aluminium spacer is all i need..

Geoff

by Geoff

I think that the carbon spacer is causing some miscommunication. I don't think the other posters are questioning the carbon, I believe that they are questioning the use of a spacer at all.

On the older Si SL cranks (i.e., not the Si SL2 crank), I recall that there is no non-drive side spacer. The photo you have linked to is an MTB crank. I think we are assuming that you are running a road spindle. If you were running a MTB triple onna 132mm spindle, then you do need a 12mm spacer on the non-drive side, and a carbon one should be fine. With a road spindle, the spacer will side load the bearing. The Si SL2 crank and spindle set-up is different and does use a non-drive side spacer, I believe.

To be more clear, the road version of the Si Sl2 crank will have a wave washer, two or three shims and one of two different sizes of spacer on the non-drive side, depending upon the bottom bracket used.