Kids project -Kinesis Racelight KR-210L-Pics/video p5/6/7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I decided to buy a pair of the Kinlin rims and build one set of each with all other components being the same. I think it would be better for my son to be on alloy rims, particularly on wet days. Also, I am not certain, but it appears that there is a rule prohibiting the use of any carbon rims for juniors. I thought it was only tubulars that are prohibited, but I may be wrong.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I missed out on the fork on ebay... now searching for a reasonably priced, full carbon fork with a 40mm rake.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Key ingredient for budget builds: PATIENCE !!!

Don't worry, full carbon forks with 14cm steering tubes don't sell very well, so lots of good deal opportunities on auction sites...

Louis :)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Agreed. And we have all winter for this project. He is on his mountain bike until the weather improved a bit... happy as a clam.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Frame and fork arrived last night. Quality looks VERY good. No chance to weight them yet. The paint job is very nice. I planned to strip the frame, remove the cable stops, and make the frame internal-di2-ready, but am now undecided.

LouisN

by LouisN

Pics !!!!!

I want to see that tiny frame :D

Not shure your son will want to lose the nice colours though...

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BmanX

by BmanX

I am following these builds closely as my son that is turning 7 wants a road bike and MTB. I already have a 14" MTB that I have built up for when he is big enough but a road bike would be nice so we can go for a bit longer rides. He rode 20km on hard packed gravel in the summer at 6 years old on a BMX. The kid is a diesel engine.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Everyone has to wait until after Christmas for pictures. It was bad enough he answered the door when the box was delivered. I managed to convince him the box was new wheels for his mom's mtn bike... even produced a pair of new wheels to show him (Crank Bros Cobalt 3). If I take the frame out for photos it is almost guaranteed he'll catch me in the act. 4 days...

BmanX

by BmanX

Ah so tough being a parent trying to surprise your kids with cool bike stuff. Thankfully I have so much bike stuff that no one knows what is new and what is not.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I scored the True Temper Alpha Q GS-10 fork for US$70.00 (including shipping)... that's a 200g saving over the stock fork. It's a 41mm rake vs. 40mm on the stock fork, but I think it will be OK.

BmanX

by BmanX

Great Find.
BIG DADDY B FLOW

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Frame weight is 1440g which is 60g more than advertised. Of course, advertised weight might have been for the raw frame or without the derailleur hanger. Who knows? The fork was spot on at 520g.

My current plan is to remove the derailleur cable stops and rear brake cable stops, then drill the necessary holes for internal di2 routing and internal rear brake cable routing. I'll then sandblast the frame and, perhaps, polish it. I suspect all that could drop another couple hundred grams. It looks like I'll only need to drill one hole on the downtube, one on the seat tube, and one on the chainstay for the di2. There are holes through the b/b shell into each of those frame tubes already. The trick will be the brake cable routing. Finding the necessary grommets for the di2 wires is easy, but sourcing grommets/guides for an internal brake cable looks a bit tougher. So far I have only found these:

Hopefully, with the Alpha Q fork, I can get the combined frame/fork weight down to around 1500 grams. But first I have to find someone with a little more skill than I possess to grind off the cable stops and drill the required holes. I don't want to do it myself as I lack the proper tools.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

The other option I'll have is to choose battery placement. The frame triangle is very small and barely has room for one bottle cage. So I'm looking at putting the battery under the bottom bracket or under the non-drive chainstay.

n1klass

by n1klass

You could always wait for Shimano to release the internal battery and put it inside the seattube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mika

by mika

hello,any news of the bike?