Caad10 Black Inc. Ultimate

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

I posted this in the Caad post, but I'll post it here too...
Just got my new C10-1 Saturday night. I named her The Black Widow, and here are the specs:

Size 56 Cannondale Caad10 Ultimate, Di2 edition. The frame is anodized to be 1/2 lb. lighter and there are no cable stops so that the frame can't be retrofitted with cables. Still, I've managed to let it match my off-season weight at an off-season 18 lbs., currently.

Current specs:

Zipp Short n' Shallow ergo bars, Service Course
Thomson X4, 120mm 0* rise/drop
Thomson Masterpiece Seatpost, 330 (unnecessary)
SLAM THAT STEM gold cap
SRAM S975 Quarq
SS Speedplays
Prologo Scratch Pro Nack
Chris King ti cages (Klean Kanteen thermos mount on there for hot cocoa during winter)
Fizik bartape
Garmin 705
White Industries laced to DT RR545's - heavy, but smooth as glass for training

Future upgrades, either waiting until February, just before the season, to be mounted or in the works:

PRO PLT stem, 120 -6*
Race wheelset - probably 88's laced to Chris King R45's
Lighter brakes - still haven't decided
Garmin 900
K-Edge blacked out mount

Here is my training partner and wrench building her:
http://i.imgur.com/o4Z9G.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/rsAo5.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i.imgur.com/kV4XS.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Additionally, I currently have a Klean Kanten thermos on there because every ride below 50* is more enjoyable with a thermos of hot cocoa :D

Here's my review I posted on cdale.com...

"Product: CAAD10 BLACK INC.
Submitted at: Cannondale
Title: NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART
by The Black Widow from Teaneck, NJ on 11/18/2012

Pros:
Well Built Quality, Attractive Design, Fear-inducing, Comfortable, Lightweight, Stable, Easy Assembly, Fast, Attractive, Radicle, Responsive, Vertically Compliant, Handles Well, Easy to Configure and Adjust, Fun to ride, Bodacious, Lust-inducing, Great Components, Fantastic Geometry, Stylish

Best Uses:
To Induce Fear And Envy, Commuting, Road Biking, Racing

Describe Yourself:
Competitive Cyclist

Was this a gift?:
No

I stared at the Black Widow as the sun was rising somewhere off in the distance. I eyeballed the gold accents on the matte black paint job as I ran my fingers along the sleek lines. I shifted to the big ring and then back to the little ring - just to hear the mechanical whirring of the Ultegra Di2 in action. Touching my new ride, looking at the beast...even TALKING about her got my heart racing. This was 12 hours after I picked her up.

30 minutes later, we were on the road riding to the ride 18 miles away. We had a century planned for today and I couldn't wait to test out my legs on The Black Widow. I was careful not to lay down too much torque as I didn't want the Duramo S's slipping out from the oil that sometimes accumulates on the surface of new tires. So instead, I decided to test The Widow's sturdiness. I sat up. At 15 mph, not so much as a wobble. I could tell this was going to be a good day.

We met up with the others and embarked on our ride. I glided along easily, never more than one or two mechanically-efficient and musically-pleasing shifts away from the perfect gearing ratio. Folks, I caution you. This bike is not for the faint of heart. This race-machine is not for those looking to remain at their current speed and/or fitness level. This thoroughbred is CERTAINLY not for those who are content with where they are in life. If, however, you fall into the small group of extraordinary cyclists, cyclists whose goals include winning, getting stronger, snagging KOM's, looking fresh-to-death and of course, being good fathers, husbands and sons...then this bike is for you. It will elevate your riding to the next level. It will strike a chord deep inside you upsetting all you know, aiding your metamorphosis into the man you know you want to be. The man you know you should be. The man you've been looking for an excuse to become. It transformed me.

After 6,500 feet of climbing, I decided to cut the ride short. The Black Widow's maiden voyage was planned to be a century+some - that is, 110 miles or so. Unfortunately, the shorter winter days have done quite a number on my desire to be on my bike. Until today. That means that my base mileage isn't what it once was...in August or September. With aching shoulders and screaming legs, I pulled off and rode a measly 88.5 miles, collapsing at home with a double cheeseburger.

To top it all off, I was wearing my team bibs which, on any ride lasting longer than 3.5 hours (or 4 hours, on a good day), leave nasty saddle sores DESPITE the most generous application of chamois cream from the leading manufacturers. In truth, I would lather up as if I were a bodybuilder preparing for his word-championships appearance - my taint would glisten in the sun, if it were exposed. Therefore, I fear I will not be riding The Black Widow tomorrow, but will have to wait until Tuesday to put in my next 5 hours.

I will leave you with a quote from the Hell of the East as a reminder that regardless of how dope your bike is, how incredibly fast it wants to be ridden or how breathtaking of a view it is sitting on your bed, we are all limited by our own choices. On Assos, his thoughts are:

"A superb saddle is nothing without a superb pad in your bibs.""
Last edited by AttacknowAttackoften on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I only train on days that end with "y".

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ross

by ross

Nice bike but do you think you could post some bigger pics? :lol:

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

Yeah....about that....how do I scale them down!

Eli

dog

by dog

You may have already damaged the fork steerer by running the stem at that position (even if you were only dialling your fit).

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

dog wrote:You may have already damaged the fork steerer by running the stem at that position (even if you were only dialling your fit).

:?: Where did you read that

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

^ This. Are you saying that 0* stems damage steerer tubes? Or SLAM THAT STEM topcaps do? I can't even begin to understand what you're saying because you didn't include a premise.

Eli

dog

by dog

Common knowledge.

The top headset assembly doesn't extend that far down into the tube. With the stem clamped at that position the steerer tube has only the upper headset bearing to resist against. What you have is a system out of spec and a tube having to resist loads "inappropriately".

What you do is position the stem right at the top of the tube, cut the tube, repeat. The maximum extension at your starting point should be < 55mm.

Addendum 1. The premise is the topic of discussion and is in response to the last post which you made. Don't have to keep repeating everything over and over.

Addendum 2. Nothing to do with the stem angle. How can you fit Di2 but not know what I'm talking about, nor know how to upload pics properly??

irf3

by irf3

There's nothing wrong with the way you mounted up the stem, I have no idea what this guy ^ is talking about.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Dog is talking about Cannondale's instructions that state that there should not be any spacers over the stem on their system. This is because their compression assembly only goes down so far.
That said, stem clamp heights vary, yours is short, you only have 15mm above the stem, you only did it for a short time, my experience is that Cannondale steerers have a very high tolerance for "mishandling". Their fork literature is similar to Specialized's, theirs in particular says to go ahead and stack spacers on top, use it like that for a short while, then trim the steerer when your position is dialed.
In short, you have nothing to worry about.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Actually Dog's post is quite accurate and if you put a bit of thought into it, it would make sense to you, as well. I would not run the stem in that position without cutting the excess for very long.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

these pictures sizes ruined your thread

Last edited by nathanong87 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

dog wrote:Common knowledge.

The top headset assembly doesn't extend that far down into the tube. With the stem clamped at that position the steerer tube has only the upper headset bearing to resist against. What you have is a system out of spec and a tube having to resist loads "inappropriately".

What you do is position the stem right at the top of the tube, cut the tube, repeat. The maximum extension at your starting point should be < 55mm.

Addendum 1. The premise is the topic of discussion and is in response to the last post which you made. Don't have to keep repeating everything over and over.

Addendum 2. Nothing to do with the stem angle. How can you fit Di2 but not know what I'm talking about, nor know how to upload pics properly??

I thought you were talking of the stem angle
#handshake

roselend
Shop Wrench

by roselend

Oh come on, dog! BS!

Offcourse riding the bike hard with the stem mounted in that way could damage the steerer tube, for the exact reasons you are mentioning.
But the steerer issn t going to be damaged by just torquing the stem to spec and checking the fit.
The Cannondale instructions are there to set up the stem/headset so you can ride safely

Addendum 1. Dont be an ass.

Brilliant bike AttacknowAttackoften! I assembled one couple weeks back in our shop and wouldn't mind having one for myself. CAAD frame with Ultregra Di2, Powermeter and some proper tubbies is the ultimate racing set up in my opinion.

horse

by horse

Looks more than "checking fit" to me.
Attachments
6OOok.jpg

AttacknowAttackoften

by AttacknowAttackoften

roselend wrote:Oh come on, dog! BS!

Offcourse riding the bike hard with the stem mounted in that way could damage the steerer tube, for the exact reasons you are mentioning.
But the steerer issn t going to be damaged by just torquing the stem to spec and checking the fit.
The Cannondale instructions are there to set up the stem/headset so you can ride safely

Addendum 1. Dont be an ass.

Brilliant bike AttacknowAttackoften! I assembled one couple weeks back in our shop and wouldn't mind having one for myself. CAAD frame with Ultregra Di2, Powermeter and some proper tubbies is the ultimate racing set up in my opinion.

Thanks very much for the kind words, I'm taking my time to pursue my upgrades...but I'm really happy with how it's coming along.

This isn't just a for-fit situation. This is where I will have my stem, I have no intention to cut the steerer further. With the stem, I have right around 55 mm from top cap to dust cover. My wrench and I agreed to leave this much steerer tube so that when my back starts to go, I can move the stem up without ordering an ENVE fork and starting again LOL. Although that wouldn't be so bad....

Eli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com