2013 Cervelo S5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

rijndael wrote:
Not always:

I don't believe I stated always in my post as I was specifically responding to the question about how Zipp measures the VukaSprint bars (now the SL-70 Aero). The question wasn't about how Zipp measures other bars. I provided the information regarding how Zipp measures that specific handlebar. Didn't realize I stated anything wrong regarding the measurement.

Btw, your picture looks like the Service Course and not the SL-70 Aero (VukaSprint).
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rijndael

by rijndael

53x12 wrote:I was specifically responding to the question about how Zipp measures the VukaSprint bars (now the SL-70 Aero).
That's fine, it wasn't clear to me. You said "Zipp measures center to center", they measure THOSE BARS center to center is a lot more clear.

ETA: It looks like they changed their measurements last year, it's now CTC for everything:
http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/09/06/eb1 ... er-higher/
and all measurements are now center to center at the brake perch.

53x12

by 53x12

"they measure THOSE BARS center to center is a lot more clear."

That is implied by the discussion. I provided evidence to my assertion. If you were still confused, click on the link, it would have answered all your questions prior to making a false assertion. We were only talking about one specific Zipp handlebar. Please show me where we were talking about a second or third bar that would require the specific use of the word "those" or "these." You can't because we didn't.

So next time rijndael, rather than jump into the discussion and try to correct someone, just sit back and relax. Because in the end, you were still proven incorrect as your latest research shows. So do the research first, then jump into the discussion. :thumbup:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

rijndael

by rijndael

53x12 wrote:If you were still confused, click on the link, it would have answered all your questions prior to making a false assertion.
Actually - I did. I followed the discussion and read your link. You say it's implied, I say it's better to clarify. It's fine, we can disagree about it.

53x12 wrote:Because in the end, you were still proven incorrect

I don't mind being wrong, it happens, we all learn stuff on the way.

nismosr

by nismosr

reviving my my old S5 thread .. after 3 yrs S5 still one of my favorite bike.
updated it to Athena EPS (Big Thank you to Butcher who donated his Athena EPS Power Unit), new S5 Seatpost, replaced the Zipp aero bar to zipp SLC2,3t stem, TRP 970SL Brakeset, SR Ti Crankset 172.5 53/39, Selle Italia SLR Ti saddle

Last edited by nismosr on Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Colnago C64 Mapei-SR12 EPS-WTO 60
2021 Basso Diamante SV-SR12 Disc EPS-WTO 60
2023 Colnago G3X-SRAM AXS Force-Levante

garjo

by garjo

really nice set up, does it weigh still 7kg?
My 4,93 kg Supersix Evo HM: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=137647&start=30

My 6,22 kg Cannondale R500 1996: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=134364

sjdong

by sjdong

it looks grate. The S5 has an aerodynamic shape is really cool.

RyanH

by RyanH

Hi nismosr, awesome bike. Can you post a review of this compared to the C59? I'd prefer to pick up an older model S5 if it compares favorably rather than spend more for the 2015+ model since mine will be used almost solely for racing. I know some complained about HT stiffness and descending, but coming from a Titanium bike and only weighing 70kg, I don't know how much of a factor that is for me.

Sacke

by Sacke

RyanH wrote:Hi nismosr, awesome bike. Can you post a review of this compared to the C59? I'd prefer to pick up an older model S5 if it compares favorably rather than spend more for the 2015+ model since mine will be used almost solely for racing. I know some complained about HT stiffness and descending, but coming from a Titanium bike and only weighing 70kg, I don't know how much of a factor that is for me.

I had one before. Switched to a Cervelo S3, then to a Supersix Evo.

At the time I weighed about 73kg, and was riding on a 54cm frame. Honestly, I never felt the frontend lacking in stiffness. Maybe I don't wrestle my bike enough to feel it, but never felt it was an issue.

Descending wasn't bad, except if you had to brake suddenly. Out of the bikes that I have had, never had the problem before, but I had the rear wheel of the S5 just ever so slightly get off the ground and make me aware of keeping my weight lower and more over the rear wheel.

From what I saw in the reviews, the complaints of head tube stiffness were often bikes that were 56cm or larger. It could be a matter of frame size in terms of noticeable lack of stiffness. As I said, never had the problem.

Personally, I liked the high head tube, since I can't go very low without being tense in the upper body, and subsequently feel like breathing isn't as free as it could be.

Wonderful bike, and I set a bunch of personal records on the kind of 2-3km @3-6% climbs that are in my hoods. On the flats... such a rocket. There might not be much of a difference in terms of gained watts between the S5 and the S3, but in a way, I preferred the non-compromise nature of the S5, even if the S3 was more of an all-rounder (and better looking).

nd2rc

by nd2rc

RyanH, just remember with first gen. (2011-2014) S5's you can only run a 23mm tire. Looks like Nismor squeezed a 24mm at one point, but it's tight. The new S5 was designed with the 25mm tire in mind. I'm 97kg (just a tad overweight I'd say) and I flex the front end if I get after it, but everything in the front end flexes it seems; bars, stem, time and space too. Unfortunately the little bit I've ridden mine in the mountains hasn't been enough to comment on the "feel" of descending, seemed fine to me though. Comparing the bb to a 2014 Madone 6 I rode, it's on par in stiffness, but the S5 has a tighter wheelbase making it a touch twitchy/lively.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

nismosr

by nismosr

RyanH wrote:Hi nismosr, awesome bike. Can you post a review of this compared to the C59? I'd prefer to pick up an older model S5 if it compares favorably rather than spend more for the 2015+ model since mine will be used almost solely for racing. I know some complained about HT stiffness and descending, but coming from a Titanium bike and only weighing 70kg, I don't know how much of a factor that is for me.

This is just me but the S5 is my all around bike, stiff on climb when you need it and fast on flats. I've read about the harsh ride but never had a problem with it. I actually sold my R5 VWD 12lb bike and kept this one. I don't have a climber body frame (199lb) but it's my go to bike when I do hill route on a group ride. I even have 53/39 on it. Although I like the new one with the beefier front end. A guy in our group just build one a VWD version of the same color and swear he loves it, ended up selling his 2015 S3.

nismosr

by nismosr

garjo wrote:really nice set up, does it weigh still 7kg?

Thank you 7.4kg

nismosr

by nismosr

nd2rc wrote:RyanH, just remember with first gen. (2011-2014) S5's you can only run a 23mm tire. Looks like Nismor squeezed a 24mm at one point, but it's tight. The new S5 was designed with the 25mm tire in mind. I'm 97kg (just a tad overweight I'd say) and I flex the front end if I get after it, but everything in the front end flexes it seems; bars, stem, time and space too. Unfortunately the little bit I've ridden mine in the mountains hasn't been enough to comment on the "feel" of descending, seemed fine to me though. Comparing the bb to a 2014 Madone 6 I rode, it's on par in stiffness, but the S5 has a tighter wheelbase making it a touch twitchy/lively.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

yes 23mm is the widest you can put on the rear, I'm running a 21mm Tangente on the Zipps .

RyanH

by RyanH

Why the change on the brakes and aero bars?

nismosr

by nismosr

RyanH wrote:Why the change on the brakes and aero bars?

Bar is heavy, 85% everytime I ride my hands are on the hood and top bar.
original brakeset was older ciamillo and it was too tight even for an older zipp Toroidal shape rims, replace it with the record brakeset, removed it for my C50 build and replace it with the TRP. I would definitely try and ride one. It's not ww but once you are moving you wont even notice you are riding a 7+kg bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com