Colnago C59 54s GDSL now finished

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

eurperg

by eurperg

I'm 184 cm with 92 cm inseam and also long arms for my height, 190 cm between fingertips. So I'm comfortable with big drop and long stem... I also have a 59 traditional CT2 with 1cm shorter stem, and the differences in handling are very small. Maybe I feel the front wheel is a little bit closer with the C59, but they both feel very good and the contact points are just the same.

nobrakes71: For someone who's 179 cm, I think 54s is on the large side, still possible to get a good fit with a shorter stem, but maybe 52s or 57 traditional would be a better choice?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Colonia

by Colonia

nobrakes71 wrote:eurperg: just out of curiosity: what's your height and inseam measure?

I'm planning to order a C59, and was recommended a 54s by the dealer. I'm 179cm height and 88cm inseam, but I'm thinking if the 54s is going to be a bit too big, and the 52s would be better.

Apologies for briefly stealing your post - but any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

I am 180ish and have an 88 inseam in cycling shorts. I ride Colnagos in 56 and 57cm. Recently got the 56 and I slightly prefer it to the 57. Anything from 56-58 is in the fit zone for you, but you need to know your preferred saddle height and how much drop you can handle. The top of your saddle should be between 17 and 19 cm or so above your top tube unless your proportions are very skewed. I've had a 58 and it is more suited to a 70s old school type of fit where you'd have downtube shifters and non-aero levers and spend less time on the hoods; it feels much larger than the 57.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I am 1.80 with a bit shorter legs, so 84cm inseam.

for that reason my fit range is more between the 54-58.

I have tried Colnago sizes 54,55,56 custom ( with lower top tube),56, 57 and 58

I prefer the regular 56 on a 120mm stem, it provides the most balanced ride.

I can ride the 54-55 with a longer stem but I feel I am too forward, or the 57-58 with shorter stem but I feel the bike is too big and the top tube a bit too high.
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

nobrakes71

by nobrakes71

thanks for the tips on sizing.

I think I'll be able to arrange a test ride on a 54s, and will let you know how I get on. If it's too big, it will be obviously be a 52s for me. I'm now also thinking whether I should consider a traditional frame and get a 57, which is right in between sizes and might provide a better fit.

Apologies again for stealing the thread!

willy

by willy

That bike looks well no matter which wheels, these ambrosios also shine, still hyperons are my favorites. Comes to show that modern bikes don't need hi profile wheels to shine, when built right! ;-)

eurperg

by eurperg

In fact, I just sold the Reynolds wheelset because I didn't use it that much... Hyperons + Roubaix is a winning combination both on asphalt and gravel.

Too many nice gravel roads to avoid with high profile wheels here. This is where the fun begins:

PSM

by PSM

Are you riding your C59 there? :0

Why not a CX?

eurperg

by eurperg

Makes no sense to ride a CX bike for hours on asphalt just because of some gravel sections, and also because CX bikes and tires are overkill for most gravel roads...

The C59 frame is probably beefier than my Kuota CX frame, at least it doesn't feel soft when I squeeze it with my fingers. :roll: And small dings in cranks and bb, who cares...

PSM

by PSM

I is no problem riding it on rocky roads. I am sure. Just put some protection under the diagonal tube. ;)

eurperg

by eurperg

:up: Fresh pic after some end of season cleaning:

PSM

by PSM

:thumbup:

Are you ever in Sweden?

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I really like the monochromatic theme on this bike, and how only the gum sided tubies and the Iride Colnago badge break it.

very well done, the early Hyperons without red accents are the best looking to my taste.

The only things I would "improve" on this bike would be a less bulky saddle and a horizontal top tube....
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

LionelB

by LionelB

It looks very nice!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hey @Eurperg, really nice setup and always good to get it all clean again. I know you like to ride in some pretty nasty weather and less than perfect roads and I know you've had at at least one set of Arenbergs. I love the Arenbergs but have only used them on paved roads with little debris. I don't care about rain or water but now that fall/winter is here there's a lot more crud, sand and leaves etc on the road. So, before I have to change tires again, I was wondering if you've used the Arrenbergs with your C59 on some of the unpaved roads you ride on . There's not a lot of clearance between the front tire and fork crown so just wondering if you found it an issue at all. I have no issues with rain etc. The older 24mm Veloflex Roubaixs were actually a perfect size for the C59 I thought. What do you think?
Last edited by Calnago on Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

perfection