My New Flash Carbon 29er...

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Here's my new pride and joy.
It took a few months to take delivery so I had plenty of planning time!
I'm pretty excited to ride it tomorrow!
Frame- Cannondale Flash Carbon 29er 1 (Large)
Fork- Lefty DLR SL 80mm
Wheels- Crest rims, Tune Hubs (Kong & Cannonball), Revolution Spokes
Tires- Schwalbe Racing Ralph Evo 2.25 mounted tubeless.
Brakes- Formula R1 w/ 160mm Formula Rotors
Crankset- Cannondale Hollowgram SL
Pedals- Egg Beaters SL w/ Custom Ti Spindles
Shifter- BCB 10 Speed Gripshift (Based on Sram X.0)
Rear Derailleur- Sram X.0 (KCNC Jockey wheels fitted)
Cassette- Sram XX
Chainring- Spiderless 32 tooth Alloy (will change to Mattias Hellore Ti once I have gearing right)
Front Derailleur- Shimano XT (soon to be replaced with Mattias Hellore Carbon chainguide)
Bar- Bontrager XXX Lite 600mm
Grips- Sette foam
Post- Mattias Hellore Custom Carbon with Carbon/Ti fittings
Saddle- Tune SpeedNeedle

Weight- 18lb 1oz (8.19kg) (will drop another 70 grams or so when chain keeper arrives)
I only have a scale pic on my phone at the moment!

Pics-
Lefty heaven

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

durkonion

by durkonion

Nice bike! You can drop a lot more weight by getting Mattias to make you a new steerer and get a new stem as well.

Getter

by Getter

Nice ride!!

I'd love me a Lefty! :mrgreen:

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

durkonion wrote:Nice bike! You can drop a lot more weight by getting Mattias to make you a new steerer and get a new stem as well.

Think I might fit the new 2011 Cannondale stem depending on the weight.
Lefty heaven

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

That's an incredibly low gear. my 1x9 29er has a 35t front ring and an 11-36 cassette. This is pretty much ideal for even the climbiest of courses. I will happily use a 35t at 24hr world champs this year.

If I were you i'd get (or have made) a standard 104bcd spider, you can then use whatever size chainring you want, depending on the riding you are doing. Getting new, spiderless chainrings made every 6-9 months would surely be an impractical thing.

Hope and Ashima make lighter rotors IIRC.

Depending on your terrain, you can use a 12-28 road cassette and a force (or red) RD and drop some grams, especially if you use a more conservative chainring (say, 33 or 34t)

Other than the seatpost (which I have no experience with) this is an awesome, 100% raceable bike. Oh, and those spokes will flex like mofos. should have used aerolites all round, or, at the least, comps on the rear.

legsrburnin

by legsrburnin

Tokyo
I'm currently at the US MTB Nationals and practice rode the course yesterday. If anything I should have opted for a 30 tooth chainring for the front. The hills here in Colorado are loooong and steep. I used to run a 36 tooth chainring on my 26er, but 29ers are a whole new ballgame, for me anyway! You must have legs of steel! I can assure you I spent plenty of time in 1st gear!

I have both a 104bcd 3 ring and a 94bcd 2 ring set up ready to go with chainrings just in case. I'll have a Ti chainring made once I've decided which gearing is for me.

As for the spokes, I used to run Aerolite spokes on my 26 inch bike and loved them, but after numerous long phone calls to both Stans (NoTubes) and Fairwheel Bikes I decided to go with the Revolutions as the Aerolites are not as laterally stiff on the big wheels (That's why the Stans 29er Race wheels arent built with them) . The Comp spokes would be too heavy. The wheels ride great. They came in a touch under 1400 grams which I thought was a good weight for me at 183lb.
I have lighter Ashima rotors which I took off my 26 inch bike, but noticed they were quite worn when I was about to fit them this bike so opted for the 10 gram heavier, but newer Formula rotors for now.

The post seems to be holding up well. The post and saddle combo came in at 213 grams!

There will be small improvements on the bike soon like carbon levers, lighter rotors, carbon chainkeeper, lighter pedals, lighter bar, maybe a lighter stem option. I still want the bike totally ride/raceable.
Lefty heaven

oscar2

by oscar2

Shifter- BCB 10 Speed Gripshift (Based on Sram X.0)
Rear Derailleur- Sram X.0 (KCNC Jockey wheels fitted)
Cassette- Sram XX

Does a X0 9 speed derailleur work with a 10 speed gripshift?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com