Stripping a 1st gen Madone (The ugly)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

LouisN

by LouisN

milroy wrote: ... My OCD nature got the better of me on the weekend ...

We understand...

99.99 % of members on this board understand... :lol:

Louis :)

nicrump

by nicrump

your OCD needs refining. you haven't even removed the headset or unstuck that corroded ferrule from the brake cable stop. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

Man these naked Treks, if they haven't already, are fast becoming WW legend. I absolutely love it. I'd be getting myself one if they fitted me! Perhaps one day I'll strip the paint from my 1500 and polish the aluminium; that'd make me feel part of the crowd. :wink:

Top marks!

Timo

by Timo

Even in this semi-stripped state a 1st generation Madone looks better than the current generation of Madones :thumbup:
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

artray

by artray

When I stripped my 5900 down the I put the paint in a bag and it weighed over 200grms not including the bag.

munk93

by munk93

Timo wrote:Even in this semi-stripped state a 1st generation Madone looks better than the current generation of Madones :thumbup:

To me it seems like Trek don't care about the looks of their bikes that much, anymore. One of my friends (A semi-pro) have ridden a 5,9 sl 2007. Said that it was the best bike he have ever ridden. That is still his opinion. And since those 3 months where he rode it, he had ridden Cannondale Caad 10, Cervelo S5, R3 and two different Trek 6,9 madones (08 and 09). Well, I'm beginning to believe that the new frames on the market are better than my 2007 SL(stiffness). I've rode a Canyon SLX for half a season, the feeling when you accelerated were just amazing. But still there is something amazing about the Trek. And it's not only the looks. I'm afraid that we will never see a frame this beautiful again. (IMO) The aero hype is too big. One of the few things i like about UCI, are their attempt to keep the bicycles in a traditional way. It's a bit annoying about my P3 Carbon and the 3:1 rule, but I'm not angry.

artray

by artray

I would totally agree with munk93 until I saw the new frame being tested . None of the frames had any paint on and they looked pretty awesome .There was a link somewhere on here .

trychle

by trychle

artray

by artray

trychle :thumbup: Nice short headtubes they look more simple in design.
Still not keen on where they put the rear brake . Like traditional better .

munk93

by munk93

A 2008 size 56 is also pretty nice, but I still can't take the newer ones. :P

milroy

by milroy

While there are a few residual patches, I’ve pretty much completed stripping the frame of paint and filler. The carbon underneath is less than perfect, but interesting. I’m still not sure about the fine weave in the frame finish, and whether by sanding more I'll get a better looking result. I’ll give it another sand with 800 grit before moving to 1200, and then think about surface coating.

The weight (which includes the headset cups) is probably about what I expected.

DLEVETT

by DLEVETT

Very nice job! and exactly the post I was looking for.
I,ve got a 2007 5.9 SL that I have been toying with stripping for some time. I was going to send the frame to a local painter to be stripped and repainted but really like what I,m seeing here on WW.
I even took the first tenative step of laying some 600 grit wet sandpaper on the underside of one of the chainstays to see how difficult it will be. Wasn't to bad, but I can only imagine what the tube junctions are going to be like.
Keep the pics and info coming.

thx
Dave

DLEVETT

by DLEVETT

artray wrote: Still not keen on where they put the rear brake . Like traditional better .

I have to agree with you artray. I remember way back, when Mtn bikes had U-brakes mounted down low like that.
They were mud/grime magnets!

Dave

artray

by artray

milroy, I have a few little patches like that . I did not want to keep going at it as they are as flat as can be so I left them .
DLEVETT, :thumbup: