HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 am 

I am ordering a Baum Corretto and at the end of month will be attending a fitting for the frame and to discuss how to spec the build.

Ahead of this I thought I would seek the advice opinions of this forum some of whome are Baum owners about my potential selections for the build.

Paint is locked down in terms of colour scheme just need to decide between the GTA and GTR designs I like certain parts of both but will wait until I get back the paint designs from Baum.

I want a race geometry build not necessarily to compete on not necessarily but because that is what I most comfortable riding. As a rider I am a climber, puncheur by nature not big at 5'10 65kg but able to good watts on flat roads.

Ok enough about me on to the build.

I was thinking of selecting a build with 44 mm headtube and tapered for but I am concerned ggta this is overkill. The idea would be to increase front end stiffness making the bike more solid while descending and on rough roads. The concern I have is that will alter the weight , rid and Asthetic of the Baum negatively and that a rider of my size would struggle to get the perceived benefit of the oversized headtube.

Also to add stiffness in the Drive Train area I was thinking of selecting the Press fit BB option to increase stiffness whilst dropping weight but the issues with good press fit installation, creaking and bearing life concern me and that PF30's benefits are not that muh greater than BSA in terms of stiffness and power transfer.

Fork selection if I go with a 44mm headtube that pretty much restricts me to an Enve 2.0 tapered or 3T Rigida the Enve is 43mm and Rigida is 46mm having read Darren's Baums opinions on geometry I am thinking that the rake on these forks may not be suitable for a build to my spec.

If I went with a 38mm headtube I wanted to look at the Enve but want to know if any Baum or Ti frame ownes have experience of using this fork and is it stiff and solid enough on high speed descents to be worth the extra investment over the standard Enve 2.0.

I want a Baum that climbs well, descends like its on rails and is solid enough to survive the odd city cycle around the uneven roads of London. In the end I will probably tell Darren and the team at Baum the characteristics I want along with my measurements and differ to there widom and let them build the perfect ride for me. But until then I will still pour over my options and hopefully get some sound advice from the members of this forum.

Thanks

Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:06 am 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:15 pm 

I don't have a Baum, but I have a Seven Elium with the standard 1 1/8" headtube and BSA bottom bracket. I am quite a bit larger than you, and I have never found either the front end or the BB lacking in stiffness.

My Photoblog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:32 pm 

I'll preface this by saying I have worked for Baum in sales and bike fitting among other things...

I honestly would just tell Darren / Ryan what handling characteristics you are after and leave the details to them. That's what you're paying for, not just Baum's experience in building a great bike, but a bike that suits your riding style.

Remember a bike is full of compromises and certain decisions affect other things, it's about getting the balance right for you.

It's easy to say you want a stiff front end for descending and a comfy rear end for rough roads but understanding how to get both working in sync in a balanced way is what separates a good builder to a great one.

What groupset are you going to use? If Shimano or std Campag I wouldn't bother with PF30... Only if you want Sram should you consider it IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:49 pm 

...what haydos says, plus you can have enve forks in other offsets than 43mm, like 45mm etc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:51 pm 

I'll second all the advice above and BTW I'm thinking of getting a Baum - On a good day I'm around 100-110kg and the Normal Headtube (Baum's is not normal - it's extensively machined/engineered) and BSA BB are more than enough stiffness even for Pro's. The ENVE 1.0 has more than enough Stiffness as well.

Having just built a Custom Ti by another nameless builder/lbs with 44mm Headtube and a Rigida LTD - I'll second the thought on the overall Tube Selection/Size is the critical design Choice. Mine ended up being almost Unrideable. The rear end is 1" Chain Stays (Non-Butted and it turns out too short) with 19mm SS (Non-Butted) into an ISP with a Fully butted OS Front Triangle (44 DT, 38 TT).

Consequently the front end is very stiff, the rear end transmits all the Vibration through the rear end into your Butt and the Connection between the two isn't so great - It's not Noodly but not that stiff.

I asked for STORCK like stiffness with the Ride of Ti. My Original thought would have been Straight CS and DT with everything else butted but I was talked out of it by the Builder and my LBS. What I still don't get is that I specked 405mm CS which I thought would have been enough to get 25mm Tires in a my STORCK was 399 with the same size ST and ST angle - however a 25 rubs the ST on a narrow rim. The BB is lower on the Ti by I think 5mm but this should have only ate up 3mm of space between the tire ST - there was an extra 6mm to play with.

The write up's on the RIGIDA is that it's a little floppy but actually really isn't.

If I was to build a BAUM it would probably be fully butted except for the DT and I would use the ENVE 1.0 Fork - The ENVE carbon stuff just feels like it transmits less vibration - it almost feels soft but still really stiff.

I have a 2.0 on a lugged 853 Steel Bike I built with a normal HT and BSA BB and the stiffness is more than adequate - almost Storck like but a lot better ride.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the reponses, as usual the advice on this forum is excellent.

dcj9 the Enve fork I was talking about is he tapered version which is 43 mm rake only which is another reason to not go 44 mm.

I am likely to go with new mechanical super record or Di2 but was considering using a pair of Hollowgram SiSL2 cranks with the Di2 another reason to consider

I think the advice to just tell Baum what I want characteristically and let them deliver the correct bike for me is the soundest advice of all, Its just hard when your forking at 6 grand to just
hand over control even to an expert like Darren Baum.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:28 pm 

Morrisond,

Its interesting that you specified the Storck like stiffness for your Ti build. I have ridden both the Fenomalist and Aernario and the frames are the total opposite to what I would expect would build good Ti frame. Short chain stays 399 mm and low rake 38 mm of Storks are the total opposite to the kind geometry Baum and other noted custom builders seems to prescribe which is long chain stays 412 and plenty of rake.

These characteristics works on the stork because they are carbon race bikes and balance the short rear and front ends long TT and utlize the amazing forks produced by THM but when translate to metal frames they don't hold up.

In my first inquiries I asked Baum if they could make a frame that would impress a Tour Magazin tester. On reflection I regret asking for this Tours tests are engineered to test characteristics that are more prevalent in Carbon frames than metal ones, hence the realtive low score for Ti and steel reviewed frames. Tests should be tailored to the specific material and test the relative characteristics.

In the end the last thing I want to do is make a Ti bike that rides like carbon that is the last thing I want from my Baum build.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:04 pm 

It was supposed to be a Bike for short quick rides to get away from the wife and Kids so I wanted Storck like responsiveness.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:19 pm 

That makes the choice more logical and what I wrote was in no way meant to be critical just and observation that if you ask for characteristics native to carbon to be translated Ti the results are always less then stellar.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm 

I am the happy owner of a Corretto - now over 2.5 years old. I would concur with the advice above that you should sit down with Darren and give him e a good brief - the sort of riding you want to do, what your preferred components are and possibly what aesthetic style you like and he will create the bike. I went to Darren with a reasonably firm idea of what I wanted based on my existing WW carbon bikes but during the discussion with Darren I realised that I was possibly going to miss out on all the benefits of Darren's experience and using Ti if I tried to prescribe the solution I wanted - particularly when my only previous experience was on carbon bikes. In the end I gave him a brief to work to and now my carbon bikes are gathering dust and my Baum is the bike I measure other bikes by. It might be a bit heavier than my carbon bikes but it is certainly more enjoyable and in some directions a lot faster.
Enjoy the process and the outcome
Look forward to seeing the outcome.

'72 Cinelli SC
'86 Giro Pinarello Team Issue
'58 Bianchi Tour De France (in bits)
2011 BMC Pro Machine 5.6kg
the 2014 project

Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:56 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:26 pm 

Spoke to the man himself yesterday and got all the answers I needed.