- LOOK Keo Max 2 Carbon
- Planet X 50mm Tubular Wheelset
- Continental Competition 22mm Tires
- Lizard Skin DSP 2.5mm Bar Tape
- Arundel Mandible Oil Slick Cages x 2
- K-Edge Garmin Mount
- Garmin Edge 500

Weight - 14lbs 4oz or 6,464g with two cages and K-Edge

Bike is pretty much done. I still need to cut the steerer tube down and the only realistic change I will make at this point is the saddle.
Probably going to swap it out for either Fizik Antares 00 or the new Kurve Chameleon.

Last edited by stephenjwhan on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

Very nice bike stephen. Well done. :beerchug:

How do you like the Planet X tubular wheels? They sure do look sharp on the bike.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

thanks !
i'm coming from an S5 Team - just swapped all the parts over, but definitely loving the R5

the planet x tubulars are awesome ! i'm not an expert on carbon wheels as i've only ever ridden the stock fulcrum racing 7s and Ts.
but they definitely offer a significant aero advantage over those and about a pound in weight savings.
braking has been solid, no squeaking with the planet x pads, much better ride than the fulcrums.
honestly, no complaints when it comes to the wheels especially considering i paid $500CAD shipped to my door from the UK

artray

by artray

Great build . Somehow it seems like it should weigh a bit less.
Love the stem slammed as well
:thumbup:

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

that's what i initially thought as well.
but with the wheels being a bit chunky (1450g) for carbon tubulars, quite a bit of weight could be saved there.
and then all the little gram counting by going LTD cockpit, lighter tires, saddle etc.
but i'm more than happy with the weight and the bike overall !

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

That thing looks so awesome!!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Great bike and GREAT photo :thumbup:

xFree

by xFree

Very nice looking bike. :thumbup:

runningDoc

by runningDoc

artray wrote:Great build . Somehow it seems like it should weigh a bit less.

the seatpost, skewers, and seat are places where you could potentially save 200+grams maybe a pound all in all.

light weight setback seatposts are hard to find and expensive, so you can potentially cut the post down a bit when you get your fit dialed in. skewers and seats are very easy to find light, maybe research what lightweight alternatives offer similar fit/comfort to the current saddle.

looking at the current set up/fit it looks like you might be able to go with a zero setback seatpost... if thats the case then you can really save weight (almost 100g savings alone) with the plethora of uber light weight zero setback seatposts.

nice build! looks so simple and functional. the R5 is probably the best looking sloping geometry frame today because it looks simultaneously old school and modern.

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

thanks guys !

and thanks for the advice! altho i was able to put this bike together very very cost effectively, i've definitely tapped out my budget.
i'm also not a huge fan of the aesthetics of some super lightweight components. i really just wanted to have an all black look on this bike.
and the weight is still pretty low.
the saddle will probably be the main change - antares 00 will save me about 100g from what i have now.

i'm coming from an S5 Team which was super fast and i actually really did like, but over time i just fell in love with the look and ride of the R series.
i think you hit it on the head with the look of the frame, both old school and modern :)

stef32

by stef32

Really nice, I was hesitating between the r5 and s5 and decided to go with the S5 but now I regret it a little bit.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Cut steerer = perfection, everyone else can go home! New sram red and the r5 looks wicked. Lovely balance to it.

konky

by konky

artray wrote:Great build . Somehow it seems like it should weigh a bit less.

Ball park UCI weight limit seems bang on for that bike. It's a pro level bike (bar the great value wheels) so you'd expect it to weigh what it does.

The frame may weigh 200g less than many but 200g isn't going to turn a bike around to a WW build. Unless you are going for an ultra WW build, frame weight, within reason, isn't that important.

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

@stef32 - that's exactly what i felt, but was able to swing a great deal in a swap

@Monkeyboy3333 - steerer was cut down over the weekend, altho i left a teeny tiny spacer above ... don't judge me ! lol thanks for the compliments !

@konky - agreed ! i wasn't aiming to build a sub 13lb bike so i'm very happy with it as is. and personally i'm not a huge fan of the super lightweight components (aesthetically anyway) either.

giant man

by giant man

nice R5 stephen, can you tell me your height, i see it is a 54cm, thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com