Focus Cayo

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

RMcC

by RMcC

This is my 2nd road bike after a 2nd hand Giant OCR that I bought to see if road cycling was for me. Ive had it coming up for 2 years and have decided its time to try and lighten it.

I changed the crank straight away from an FSA gossamer to an FSA SL-K and the wheels to Mavic Ksyrium SL. Ive ridden it like this since. I dont have the original weight but with the original DT swiss R1900 wheels and Conti Ultra Sport tyres it was 8.58Kg. With the mavics, Schwalbe Ultremo DD tyres, 2 bottle cages and garmin mount and sensor its 8.0Kg. Im hoping to try and get down below 7kg hopefully.

The bike as I ride it just now:

Bits to upgrade:
ControlTech scored 99 stem(name is a bit misleading on the weight)

ControlTech carbon bars(203g)

Rose Carbon seatpost

Selle italia SLR TT

Ive also got Lizard skins DSp, planet x skewers, Vittoria Diamante Pro light tyres and michelin supersonic tubes to be fitted.

I hope to get a spreadsheet made up so I can see the weight savings when I get everything on the bike.

All comments welcome.

RMcC

by RMcC

WOW how unpopular am I. I think this must be the only unanswered introduce yourself ive seen.

Anyway its a good place to keep a record of what Ive done. Got round to fitting all the bits today and weighed the parts that came off, then re-weighed the complete bike at the end.

Ive listed all the weights below.

Original New

Stem 152 111
Bars 310 203
Bar Tape
Tyres 440 348
Tubes 206 110
Saddle 299 145
Seat Post 364 178
Collar 15 13
Shewers 111 45

Total 1897 1153

Weight saving so far = 744g

Here is the new weight

The original seat collar weight is a guess as Ive not weighed it yet and I havent weighed the new or original bar tape.

Im still hoping to get under 7kg so if anyone has any ideas id appreciate it. I was thinking chain rings possibly and maybe brakes?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Nice bike :thumbup: Could loose alot of weight in the brakes for not too much if your using the Ultegra brakes (thinking planet X CNC). Other than that it all depends on how much you want to spend, you'll get lighter cranks, wheels and shifter-sets.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

hasbeen

by hasbeen

Always like the looks of the Focus bikes. They are a bit heavy though. I would agree with the Planet X brake idea. Or look for some used Zero Gravity. The wheels would be another great option but I just dont like Mavic wheels. Sell them and get something lighter.
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

istigatrice

by istigatrice

hasbeen wrote:The wheels would be another great option but I just dont like Mavic wheels. Sell them and get something lighter

Or keep them as training wheels and get yourself some nice tubies :thumbup:
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)