Anders CAAD10 for the 2013 season (Di2 installation)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Anders

by Anders

Finally got the brakes installed. It's much easier to insert the pads in the pad holders, so it seems Ciamillo has changed them a bit. These are the super narrow ones, so I need to use the supplied spacers. The new aluminium quick release is very loose on these brakes, a bit too much to my liking, but they should not bind as the old had a tendency to do. I bought the nice ti bolts for it and need to modify some others to replace the cable bolt.

No matter what I did to adjust the FD I couldn't make the chain stop rubbing the cage. The MKV chainrings are apparently just not stiff enough for me as I could see them flexing a few milimeters when I put the power down. So now I will try these Praxis ones and just using my hands to bend them they feel quite a bit stiffer. The next ride will show.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juggler

by Juggler

Looking awesome... the brakes AND the Leva Times.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

rOYk

by rOYk

Andres,

This is the CAAD 8 project I started few days ago, I dont see when i'll find free time to finish it. I love your bike, they look great!

Anders

by Anders

Thanks, it kind of never ends. There is always the next nicething to add. Can't see any picture.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Great looking bike!

What do you think of the Reynolds assaults? Those are the clinchers i presume? Ive been trying to decide on rims for a new wheelset (still not sure about tubular vs clincher either) and was curious as to how much aero benefit the reynolds provide.

Anders

by Anders

I have only done two rides on the bike so the jury is still out. But I can tell you they are quite sensitive to cross wind, more than I had expected.

Quinn039

by Quinn039

Okay, thats really good to know!

Anders

by Anders

I tried a colleagues Ultegra Di2 bike and the Red was sold the next day. Just waiting for the Ultegra Di2 upgrade kit to arrive. I'll do an internal installation of the down tube wire and junctipn box. Yes I need to drill a hole in the top tube as shown below :shock: The rest will be external for now. The only way to get the junction box into the down tube is through the headtube as the hole in the BB in too small to let it pass. Interesting to see how smooth this goes.

I'm going Ultegra as I will stick to 10 speed for now and it just much less money than going Dura Ace. I'll probably switch to the internal battery later.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

this will be one sweet ride!
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I'm considering the exact same installation and can't wait to see how yours turns out. Hope you take lots of pictures!
Do you know how you're going to drill holes in the head tube?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Anders

by Anders

The hole will be made in the top tube as shown in the last picture using a normal drill. Will start out with a 2mm and go up to 6mm.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Anders wrote:The hole will be made in the top tube as shown in the last picture using a normal drill. Will start out with a 2mm and go up to 6mm.

Ah. How will you get the cable into the downtube? Are there holes in the headtube at the top tube and down tube junctions? Amazing looking bike by the way.

Anders

by Anders

Yes there are and of cause also at the BB. The only place there seem to be no hole between the tube intersections is from the BB to the right chain stay. Anyway I don't want to drill in the chain stay. I'll route the cable out the bottom of the hole in the BB and on the underside of the chain stay to the RD. Thank for the heads up. I know it won't look as nice with the Di2, but it just shift so much better. Actually I'm also considering selling off the wheels an buy a set of 2013 Ksyrium SLR or R-Sys SLR to replace them. And I thought I had finished this build :roll:

EDIT: There is a hole to each chain stay from the BB.
Last edited by Anders on Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Awesome. I look forward to seeing the new version of your bike! Hopefully with lots of pictures of the Di2 install for those of us planning to follow in your footsteps.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Anders

by Anders

First step. Drilled a 2.5mm hole initially and then went up to 5.5mm. The connector is 5.1mm. The grommets SM-GM01 should be 6mm in diameter but I'm thinking they may sit more stable in a 5.5mm hole. If they won't fit it's an easy fix. I'll wait on drilling the hole for the FD until I receive the parts.