My new 2012 R5

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kargeek

by kargeek

My LBS hooked me up with a exceptional deal on this bike, we swapped the FSA crank-set for Rotor 3D+ compact with round rings, swapped out the standard Sram red group for black and I ordered the Enve 3.4’s with Chris King R45 hubs. The bike came with a team Dorico Team seat post which I swapped out for a full carbon LTD and swapping out the standard team stem and ergonova bars with the red color for stealth versions. I ride with a specialized toupe saddle so I swapped the fizik for that too. The bike as shown weighs in right at 14lbs with my old keo cho mo pedals so I’ll lose an ounce or so with switching to keo ti blades.

I’m thinking of swapping out the black Chris King Hubs for red anodized to match the small parts on the bike. I looked at going with pewter – but Chris King’s color of pewter looks purple. What do you think?

3T Stealth Ergonova Team 42cm
3T Stealth ARX Team 100mm
3T Dorico LTD seat post
Specialized Toupe w/ carbon rails
SRAM Red Groupset ( Black)
ROTOR 3D + compact
DuraAce 11-28 cassette
LOOK Keo Carbon- (changing soon to Ti Blades)
Enve Smart System 3.4’s
Chris King R45 Hubs
Continental Grand Prix
Fizik Bar tape-
Arundel Mandible Oil Slick Cages x 2
K-Edge Garmin Mount
Garmin Edge 500
14lbs
Attachments
IMG_0279E_edited-2.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fio
in the industry

by fio

Dang that looks nice! Bigger pictures please!

stephenjwhan

by stephenjwhan

beautiful R5 !
not to different from mine... wish i had those wheels !

em3

by em3

kargeek wrote:I’m thinking of swapping out the black Chris King Hubs for red anodized to match the small parts on the bike. I looked at going with pewter – but Chris King’s color of pewter looks purple. What do you think?

NO !!!! Colored anodized parts, other then black and silver, belong on BMX bikes, beach cruisers and kids bikes....not on beautiful race-bred machines like yours. Keep it stealth!!!

Enjoy your new ride...great build.

EM3

kargeek

by kargeek

OK here are some additional pics...

On another note I discovered that 3T bars are measured outside to outside. I’m used to a 42 C to C bar and these bars felt off to me (they are really a 40 C to C) prior to my discovery of how they are measured. They are the shallowest in drop for a compact bar too so I’m looking for alternatives. This after I bought a 42 stealth team bar to replace the red color team version that came on the bike. Maybe a zipp’s- they too are measured outside or Enve’s.

http://i.imgur.com/gUloR.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ki9e8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/zaKTN.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/vsoQg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JeCvJ.jpg

Had to remove img tags, I think the Mars lander could have spotted them :shock:

apLe

by apLe

Bike looks great, but I would change the bar tape. I don't like fizik logos all over the bar. Plain black would be better IMO! And yes, please don't play with hubs' colour!
18' R5 coming soon...

fio
in the industry

by fio

kargeek wrote:On another note I discovered that 3T bars are measured outside to outside. I’m used to a 42 C to C bar and these bars felt off to me (they are really a 40 C to C) prior to my discovery of how they are measured. They are the shallowest in drop for a compact bar too so I’m looking for alternatives. This after I bought a 42 stealth team bar to replace the red color team version that came on the bike. Maybe a zipp’s- they too are measured outside or Enve’s.

The new pics really do the bikes justice. It looks great. As for the handlebars, I had the same problem with my 3T's. I wanted a true 38cm c-c bar, and unfortunately the 3T Ergonova was 38cm c-c measured from the drops, and the hoods were 2cm narrower (that's 36cm!). I finally picked up some 40cm Zipp SSR bars and I am way happier with them. Not only are they the correct width, but they are stiffer and lighter too.

kargeek

by kargeek

Plain black bar tape is in the works... as soon as I change the bars!

I'll opt out of changing the hubs, pewter hubs in a true pewter color would have looked subtle and a dark gray plating I thought would match with the colors on the bike, but Chris King's anodizing doesn't work, they are going back to the dealer. My dealer says that's a common complaint with that color.

I'm keeping it stealth..

artray

by artray

nice :thumbup:

em3

by em3

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, get a chain catcher on that rig. Also, get some extra carbon leather and place it on chainstay behind the chainrings and underneath the chainstay ( http://store.lizardskins.com/products/c ... -chainstay )...this swill protect the frame if you experience chain suck. Rotor rings are known for their poor shifting performance.EM3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

em3 wrote:NO !!!! Colored anodized parts, other then black and silver, belong on BMX bikes, beach cruisers and kids bikes....not on beautiful race-bred machines like yours. Keep it stealth!!!

The correct word to describe the current overwhelming trend for all black bikes is not 'stealth' it is 'bland'.

Get some fookin' colour on it! :P